replacing data disk and flash drive at the same time

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi all,

here is the problem: My config was two data drives and one parity (and two cache drives). One of the data drives was failing and I wanted to check on it. During this process my flash drive also died. To make things worse, I totally forgot to backup my flash drive. (That's something that is never going to happen to me again!)

So now, created a new flash drive, updated the key and identified my drives. Is there a way to set up the array in a way that saves my data?

I was thinking about 1. assigning the drives and starting the array with 'parity is already valid' and 'maintenance mode on', 2. turning array off and 3. starting array regularly. Does that make sense? Thank you all in advance!

1 hour ago, MrSatchmoo said:

Thank you so much for your help!

What part of the diagnostics file should I post? The whole zip file seems a little bit to much.

Btw, I actually have a diagnostics zip file from between hdd and the flash drive failure. Can I find anything helpful there?

We normally want the whole zip as that stops us making continual requests for more of its contents.

The earlier diagnostics shows that your drives were:

Parity: WDC_WD40EFRX-68N32N0_WD-WCC7K2TTPE1K

Disk1: WDC_WD40EFRX-68N32N0_WD-WCC7K6RETKX4

so I assume that the other drive (which was already disabled even then) was

Disk2: WDC_WD40EFPX-68C6CN0_WD-WX22D83RHEP8

although it was showing as not online at the time, but was being  emulated so any new writes were only being reflected in parity - not in the physical disk.

Have you done a New Config yet as the last diagnostics look like might you have?  If so the next steps are likely to be:

• Tick the Parity is Valid checkbox
  • Start the array in Maintenance mode
  • Stop the array
  • unassign disk2
  • start the array in normal mode to get disk2 emulated
  • post new diagnostics

It is probably also worth seeing if the physical disk2 can be mounted in Unassigned Devices as that would tell us if there is a fallback position if the emulated disk has problems

Hi,

the old (failed) drive (a Seagate) does not show anymore. or rather: As soon as I try to assign it to the array, it vanishes. Because of that I removed the Seagate from the server altogether. The WX22D83RHEP8 is the new one I bought to replace the Seagate.

Should I try to reinstall the failed drive again, before starting the Steps you mentioned?

Thanks again!

Thank you! So, I'll try to summarize what I understood so far about my situation, just to be sure, that I'm on the right track here.

If I'm lucky, I have a valid parity disk and one of two data disks. Now I need to tell the system to recreate the second data disk from the before mentioned two disks. As my configuration from my old setup is gone due to the failed flash drive, I somehow have to make sure, that unraid knows wich one of the data drives is valid and wich one is new/replaces the broken one, so it rebuilds that one and not the one with my data on it. Am I correct so far?

Question is, how do I do that. 😨

11 minutes ago, MrSatchmoo said:

Thank you! So, I'll try to summarize what I understood so far about my situation, just to be sure, that I'm on the right track here.

If I'm lucky, I have a valid parity disk and one of two data disks. Now I need to tell the system to recreate the second data disk from the before mentioned two disks. As my configuration from my old setup is gone due to the failed flash drive, I somehow have to make sure, that unraid knows wich one of the data drives is valid and wich one is new/replaces the broken one, so it rebuilds that one and not the one with my data on it. Am I correct so far?

Question is, how do I do that. 😨

You follow the steps I gave earlier.   Make sure that the parity drive and disk1 correspond to the serial numbers I gave for them.