Out Of Memory errors detected

Hello, today my Unraid server suddenly stopped responding. All hosted Dockers and VMs went offline. The inaccessible web interface and the lack of response from the power button led to an unwanted hard reset.

After rebooting, I was alerted to an intermittent "out of memory" error using the "Fix Common Problems" plugin and was advised to seek help in the forum.

My diagnosis is attached. Any idea what caused this outage?

Thank you!

homeserver-diagnostics-20240311-2001.zip

15 hours ago, OriginalOne said:

Any idea what caused this outage?

Check your immich config, looks like maybe it's the issue

Mar 11 19:23:48 HomeServer kernel: oom-kill:constraint=CONSTRAINT_NONE,nodemask=(null),cpuset=/,mems_allowed=0,global_oom,task_memcg=/docker/79f5b372d9378a6b1c32fae3726e83bcebc827e27c400d7074e684f5566b4bf8,task=gunicorn,pid=25424,uid=0
Mar 11 19:23:48 HomeServer kernel: Out of memory: Killed process 25424 (gunicorn) total-vm:45869304kB, anon-rss:14620764kB, file-rss:0kB, shmem-rss:0kB, UID:0 pgtables:36692kB oom_score_adj:0

Posted (edited)

@Michael_P Thank you for the reply, in fact there seems to be an issue with immich. I use iCloudPD to pull new photos of iCloud every night at 01:00 AM that seems to be triggering immich to go rampant. How can I investigate what is causing this out of memory error? Is it RAM or disk space that is running out?

And how can a docker container take down the host? Is there some method to avoid this?

Thank you very much!

Edited by OriginalOne
31 minutes ago, OriginalOne said:

Is it RAM or disk space that is running out?

And how can a docker container take down the host? Is there some method to avoid this?

Whatever Immich is doing is running the system out of RAM - left unrestricted, any container can use whatever system resources it has access to. You can limit the container's available RAM in the advanced settings, but that won't solve whatever the container is doing to run itself out of RAM.

image.png.0c002ff63530b33e53f91655c9d2936c.png

As for why Immich is chugging down all that RAM, I can't help you there - you can ask in the container's help thread or try to get help on Immich's site