unmenu SMtp /mail not working

mani

I am new to unmenu. Everything installed without any problem , but I am not able to successfully use SMTP for my hotmail account. HEre are the settings I used

- forward root email to ---    [email protected]

-email server :         smtp.live.com

- USe TLS-                 yes

- MailID -               myaddress       (without hotmail.com)

-Mail password-         left blank

Mail Domain;      Used following at different instances- "localhost", "[email protected]", "pop3.live.com"

-From mail override:  Yes

- Rewrite Domain:         BLANK

-RevAliaases:     BLANK

When I use send test mail from user scripts from the unmenu page- the connection times out and I dont get any message at all . I tried sending a test message using the script directly from the console as well- didnt get any message. After making any changes I did downlaoded and edited version each time. Any thoughts?

When I tried through the console, this is what showed up ion the syslog:

Nov 15 06:21:33 Tower sSMTP[12911]: Unable to connect to smtp.live.com:25Nov 15 06:21:33 Tower sSMTP[12911]: Cannot open smtp.live.com:25

Any thoughts? I would rather not enter my email passoword here.

Thanks

Mani

I am new to unmenu. Everything installed without any problem , but I am not able to successfully use SMTP for my hotmail account. HEre are the settings I used

- forward root email to ---    [email protected]

-email server :         smtp.live.com

- USe TLS-                 yes

- MailID -               myaddress       (without hotmail.com)

-Mail password-         left blank

Mail Domain;      Used following at different instances- "localhost", "[email protected]", "pop3.live.com"

-From mail override:  Yes

- Rewrite Domain:         BLANK

-RevAliaases:     BLANK

When I use send test mail from user scripts from the unmenu page- the connection times out and I dont get any message at all . I tried sending a test message using the script directly from the console as well- didnt get any message. After making any changes I did downlaoded and edited version each time. Any thoughts?

When I tried through the console, this is what showed up ion the syslog:

Nov 15 06:21:33 Tower sSMTP[12911]: Unable to connect to smtp.live.com:25Nov 15 06:21:33 Tower sSMTP[12911]: Cannot open smtp.live.com:25

Any thoughts? I would rather not enter my email passoword here.

Thanks

Mani

Well, it is telling you that it cannot establish a connection to port 2 on smtp.live.com

Either, you have no network gateway defined, or no nameserver defined, or smtp.live.com does not allow connections to port 25.

Have you tried port 587?

you may need to set revalias to

hotmail.com

No need to post your password.  You are probably net even getting that far.

Joe L.

for hotmail, it is smtp.live.com:587

the login also used to need [email protected] to work

I'll also mention that all 3 of my unraid boxes lost SMTP to hotmail in early october. the existing settings changed. I'm not sure what it changed to.

I tried 50 settings before I just sent all my mail to my gmail acount that in turn bounces it to my hotmail account. it was not worth my time to research it right then....

if you go the gmail route. set it all of the settings to your gmail account but leave the first line you hotmail account.

I also believe there was an update to this package a few weeks back? (that didnt help with hotmail issue)

I have tried gmail and still no luck. Unraid network configuration is fine and it is connecting to net. Now I am not getting error mesage like before unraid is able to send the  email but I am not getting it in my account

I am using smtp.gmail.com:587

Can some one please let me know what are they using in the rest of the fields. I am still leaving password field blank.

Thanks

Mani

• 1 year later...

realise this is an old post just posting my connection to hotmail results granted I had no clear cut info on the forums to find and worked it out.

This is what worked for me

Foward "root" email: [email protected]

Email Server:            smtp.live.com:587

TLS:                          YES

Mail ID:                    [email protected]

Mail Password:        yourpassword

Mail Domain:            hotmail.com

From Line Override:  YES

Re-Write Domain:    [left BLANK]

RevAliases:              [left BLANK]

hope the above is able to help anyone having trouble

• 2 months later...

FYI To work with a custom GoDaddy Domain Email, I used the Following Settings:

Foward "root" email: [email protected]

Email Server:            smtpout.secureserver.net:80

TLS:                          NO

Mail ID:                    [email protected]

Mail Password:          mypassword

Mail Domain:            mydomain.com

From Line Override:  YES

Re-Write Domain:    mydomain.com

RevAliases:              root:[email protected]

I tried many different settings, and finally I was getting no errors and it looked like the email was sent, but would not go through. I had to change settings to exactly as shown above.

• 11 months later...

Bumping an old thread.

Arg.... Been banging my head for an hour.  OK, I got it fixed with this thread that actually shows examples.  Most other threads just say "config with your values" without saying what those values are.  I have a script on my windows box that can send email fine so I was using those values as I know they work.  Guess not quite.  See below.    I do have a question now that I have it working.

Why port 587?  I thought gmail used port 465.  my script sends email using port 465.  I had all the same values from my script copied to the "mail and ssmtp" package in unmenu and it would not work.  Once I noticed 587 mentioned above, I tried it and it worked.

So why does unraid/unmenu need 587 when my own script is using 465?

A quick google shows that these ports are treated by gmail slightly differently.  But I admit I don't understand the differences.  Unless someone can give an answer I guess the lesson is to be aware of is that 587 is the correct port for an unraid/gmail combo.

Cal.

Archived