Tablet...

opentoe

I know there are a lot of smart people here, that's why I post this here. I do take recommendations seriously here. I know I'm a mean guy, always complaining but some one has to do it, right? It is all in good spirit if there is such a thing. :)

Anyway, I'm looking to get a tablet. Basically for web browsing, not playing games. Listening to some music, and movie watching. Can't afford an ipad, but there are a ton of Android tablets in China that the Chinese are using every day having their fun. Is anyone here familair with tablets or can comment on any of these in particular or recommend anything?

http://www.dinodirect.com/se-typeid-10554-minprice-30.00-maxprice-1000.00-6041Grid/

I have the Archos 101, I like it because it plays everything. The newer models should be even better with dual core and a hard drive if you elect that version.

I hear people like the transformer.

I chose the archos because it's native player plays almost anything. With the cinema addon, it plays mpeg2 and .vobs. So I can mount it on my windows box, rip the DVD right the archos and leave with it. No conversion needed (with the mpeg2 plugin).

The only downside is you have to install a third party .apk to get the android market on it. Once that's installed everything is available.

I have a samsung galaxy 10. It is a nice tablet and very nice to type on and performs smoothly. It was kind of an impulse buy and I rarely use it.

I put es file explorere (app) on it and it seems to struggle to play videos over the network? it will play a tv show of mkv files fine but not avi (they are not big files). It seems strange to me.

I have a Samsung Tab (7") and the Galaxy 10.  Both play avi's, and mkvs when directly downloaded. I also installed a few uPnP apps that play well together with my Synology. The Samsung tablets struggle with higher bitrate stuff (expected), and attempts to software decode codecs not supported - but it does work. I use the Navi-X service through the Boxee remote, good for late evening viewing. Mediainfo may provide a clue why your avi files won't play. 

I wonder how disruptive the Kindle Fire will be.

Even if it can't compare on some levels with features of more expensive tablets, it will put pricing pressure on the group I would think.

E.g, people won't pay a $300+ premium for a nicer tablet, they'll sacrifice and get the Fire...  So manufactures will need to close that gap a little.

I think the Nook Tablet is significantly better than the Kindle Fire, and reviews seem to bear that out. Netflix playback is noticeably better. For an extra $50, you get double the internal storage, double the RAM, plus microSD support. The Nook Color was the darling of the Android hacking scene for a while, and I expect no different from the Nook Tablet, in spite of its locked bootloader.

It's already been rooted, and there's a hack to allow for Amazon Prime video playback, which means you essentially have the functionality of the Kindle Fire, but with better hardware.

Another option is this little number:

http://www.amazon.com/Pan-TC-970-9-7-Inch-Multi-Touch/dp/B004PGMFG2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322085314&sr=8-1

I don't own one, and have never used one, but I am tempted to get it as it is one of the only sub $200 tablets that gets consistently excellent reviews...

Anyone have experience with it?

[EDIT] This tablet is not upgradeable past it's current Android 2.2... But what can you expect for $198? :). [/EDIT]

i just picked up a hp touchpad on ebay (yes, i know they discontinued it and yes, i know that they were selling for $99) and i rooted it and turned it into an android tablet. currently there are a couple of sources working on an "ice cream sandwich" rom for it. i like the 10" display better than the 7" ones, i actually wish they would come out with a 14" (or closer to a magazine size)

while it doesn't have a sd card, mine came with 32GB of storage.

I've got a Nook Color (rooted with CM7 ROM) and a HP Touchpad (WebOS) from the fire-sale. I can't say enough good things about the NC with CM7. I think it's the cheapest, most versatile entertainment device you can get -- read, browse, games, movies and music -- all pretty well. Simple to root, even for a relative novice. I prefer the Touchpad for movies because of the larger screen but just about everything else (with the possible exception of browsing) is better with the 7" form factor. With a large microSD I don't really use the internal memory, so 8GB is plenty. The dual core of the Nook Tablet would be nice but the single core of the Nook Color does well enough for most tasks. The Fire seems too web-centric. Most of my media is on unRAID so I just convert and copy to the microSD. Looking forward to an ICS port for the Touchpad. WebOS is not bad but the lack of apps is definitely a weak spot.

So far so good for me

There r issues because I believe it was ported from a phone rom (could be wrong).  I have games, pled, chemistry programs, etc and it seems to be working. It also still boots webos and that has some great apps

sent from my HTC desire using tapatalk

Can you try plex (laika)  from here and the android plex version an see if you can have subtitles?

Sent from my Optimus 2X using Tapatalk

Well, I finally bit the bullet and went with the Asus Transformer Prime. I was lucky enough to pre-order it from Amazon. They sold out in 24 hours, so Amazon took the sale off their site. The specs looks awesome and are better and/or surpass the ipad. It has a great looking ISP+ screen of course. I got the 64GB model. I don't need a keyboard, not interested in that at all. I can't wait to receive it now. Should be shipping in early December.