Segate Barracuda LP 2TB 5,900 RPM SATA 3Gb/s 3.5" ($84.99)

vl1969

It's depressing that this is a good deal. Even more depressing that I will pick up a couple. Thanks for the post.

What's depressing to me is that I was thinking about driving down to KC to see if I can get one.  Live in middle of IOWA so 2 - 3 hr drive just to get it.  And I don't even like Seagate drives nearly like I did in the past.  If it was a Hitachi I would be trying to get one reserved for pickup on the weekend and I WOULD drive down and get it.

You guys are addicted to hard drives.

Probably ;D  I think I might have ~200 of them in my house starting with a 10GB sized 5400 Maxtor up to the 3TB 5400 green refurb I got from WD that is currently being used in my WHS.  Not willing to commit to unRAID V5 yet so my 40TB unRAID server is running 4.6.  Getting weirdness occasionally when I boot it on my preclear Athlon XP box.  Probably just the box but I don't want to take a chance with my recordings.

You guys are addicted to hard drives.

Seeing as how I have 341 in my safe right now, and I go through about 60 a year in making and shipping images, it is a cost of doing business --- not an "addiction" unless you call doing your job an addiction.

O yes, a job can be the worst kind of addiction.

Barracuda LP 2TB 5,900 RPM SATA 3Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive ST320005N4A1AS-RK

on sale in Microcenter right now for 84.99 drop from last week (149.99)

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0334239

Do the current LP drives still use Contact Start-Stop head parking?  If so, that would keep them off my preferred list at any price.  Their older 2tb LP drives used this method and are rated for 50,000 load/unload cycles compared to 300,000-600,000 for drives that use ramp loading.  I have one of these drives in my array from back in the day when I was desperate for storage and that was the only 2tb drive I could get locally for under $150 but it's got "red headed stepchild" status and only has backups of my Tivo drives.  Only gets spun up once a month for parity check or when I shut down to add a drive.  In fact, I'm considering swapping it for a 2tb Western Digital if Best Buy ever ships my order from 11/7.  Then I can put the Seagate LP on a shelf for emergency use only.

Archived