LSI/Hard Drive controller question

If I replace the current motherboard controller (6 ports) with an LSI controller card, will I lose any data?  I started reading through the threads but I didn't see this specific question.  From my reading, I should get better drive performance from the LSI card.   I also am currently using a cheap 50.00 10 port card which would be replaced with the LSI 8 or 16 card (didn't decide yet).

It depends whether the onboard disk controller is a RAID one or not.    If it is not then the drives should transfer transparently to a LSI card.   If the current controller is a RAID one then you may have to do more work to get the data transferred to LSI connected dries.

Posted (edited)

I am going to go for it and see what happens.  Ordering the 9300 x16 - I think 

ERR - I think I might keep reading before doing it now because I was reading that it gets VERY hot and can damage the MB - I definitely don't want to deal with that 

Edited by GeorgeJetson20

Glad I didn't order it, after reading a little more, the card gets to 150 F and both of my cases have good cooling with 6 or 7 fans but I don't think the motherboard can handle that temperature.   The cases this would be for is both Phantekone (Phantek) and Tower (Fractal Design Meshify 2) See the specs in my signature above.