Enable Air Print to print via iphone on Unraid Server

Thanks for the reply.

Will have a check as to where I'm up to and report back.

From memory I installed cups service ok.

I struggled to get the ppd file. My printer isn't listed as an option on one of the methods. I did get it from the other and stuck it in the relevant place.

I even managed to choose it an add a printer via the cups interface. However I didn't get anything to actually print out when I did the test page and also my iPhone could not see the printer.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so I couldn't resist having another look at this as I'd like to create a generic cups / airprint plugin and helping understand your printer issues might get me closer. 

Attached is a an extremely early and experimental cups plugin.  I've got this working successfully for my Canon and after using a bit of guesswork, I've tailored it for a Samsung ML1915 which also prints a test print - albeit to a physical Canon MP610, but it's using the Samsung PPD and filter files, so I'm hopeful it may also work for you.

I assume you're familiar with installing plugins so won't go into too much detail.  You can start/stop the plugin via the UnRAID gui -> settings -> CUPS section.  When you start the plugin, it should report that it's started in blue and it's also a hyperlink to the CUPS admin page, which can also be reached via "hostname:631" {replacing hostname for your Unraid server name}

Going on the principle that a picture says more than words, also attached is a zip of a bunch of screenshots I took whilst setting up CUPS for my printer. 

Basically, what I did was using the CUPS admin page with printer already connected, it detected the printer on the USB port as a Canon.  I'm hoping/assuming it'll do the same for you but with your appropriate printer instead.  Assuming that works, then one of the following screens allows you to select another make/manufacturer.  It listed printer makes (I chose Samsung), then gives a list of models.  The second one down seems to relate to the PPD file which I included in the plugin install "Samsung ML-191x 252x Series (en)".  I think the others come from the gutenprint package which is also included/installed during plugin.

I then added a new printer from Win 7, pointed it to the http address of the newly added printer and whereas you're going to want to select Samsung ML1915 driver in Windows, I opted for Canon MP610, assuming that what I was doing was telling Windows that it's to print to a Canon but at the backend CUPS side it'll be the Samsung.  That's assuming you're on Windows not MAC.  If MAC, you're on your own.

I'm completely winging it and I've no idea if it'll work for you but please give it a try.

NB. Airprint is not yet configured.  I've got Airprint running here, but it needs a python script running AFTER the printer has been added, so for the moment I thought it best not to bother with this.  If you get the printer printing, then I think it'll be a trivial step to make Airprint work.

Please let me know how you get on.  If anyone else is interested in seeing if this plugin will work for them please drop me a line.  At the moment it needs the PPD and filter file locating for each printer, but I think that can largely be overcome in the end by choosing the most generic options for a given make/model. 

cups_airprint-0.2-rj-samsung-ml1915.plg.txt

CUPS_plugin_screen_shots.zip

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

These instructions are still valid, but since iOS 6, you have to add a new content type for printing. I'm at work at the moment so I can't remember exactly what it is, but google will tell you!

This will work with any printer you can add with cups, so network printers are fine.