SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 & ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3

Hello All,

I have just build a new unRAID server, with 2 SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards and the ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 motherboard.

Now I have updated the latest motherboard firmware. The issue is that there is no way to power down the PC, it just comes back a second later by itself.

If I remove the  2 SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards it is fine, shuts down no problem, when I put them back then when I press the power button the PC always restarts by itself  ???

It seems that there is a compatibility issue here with this combination of cards and motherboard.

Please note that I'm testing hardware here, at this point I'm not even booting the unRAID server.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I have the exact same problem. Using ECS A885GM-A2 Mother board. with one card in either PCI-E slots power down works fine. However, with two cards installed it will attempt to do a powerdown and the within a second or two power up. The driver on the motherboard during pwr down cycle  brings the Pwr_on signal on the ATX power supply high (power off) then immediately down low (power on) and remains there. You can even turn the atx pwr supply switch off so only the standby power is applied to the mother board and the motherboard is still driving pwr on low (power on) to the ATX supply.  When you switch the atx pwr supply switch on it immediately boots. Have disconnect the pushbutton power on button and same issue. Also tried 2nd power supply. Any help or ideas here would be appreciated. Also disabled init 13h on a single board and then both boards, no luck, still there.

• 1 month later...

I'm not 100% sure.  I'm going to play more tonight.

What is odd is that these MB's don't have alot in common.  The Asus and ECS boards that were mentioned previously both use the same North Bridge (AMD 880G), South Bridge (AMD SB850), and onboard video (ATI HD4250).  So those are very similar.  I found several reports on the net of this same restart behavior with certain video cards used on the 880G North Bridge. It appears there is possibly some compatibility issue with certain cards and the 880G.

However, the MSI uses the nForce750 (single chip that acts as North & South bridge) and uses a GeForce 8200 for onboard video.

So it really has nothing in common, but exhibits the same behavior.

I can say that all my SATA ports work on the MB with both cards installed, set as AHCI (a known issue using two MV8's).  I haven't checked firmware version on both MV8's (I know one is .15, but not sure about the new one).  Both cards post correctly, and when unRAID is fully booted, everything appears fine and has been stable (at least for the past 24 hours).  No errors in the syslog.  I have pre-cleared one drive on the new card, and all went well.  I will be adding that drive to the array tonight, and pre-clearing a second.

Everything was spun down this morning, and spun up with no problem.  So there doesn't appear to be any issues there either.  SMART data is also available from drives off both cards.  So basically none of the typical conflicts that have been reported in the past.

I believe all my wake events are disabled, but its possible I missed something on another screen, and will be double checking tonight.

Well, my problem turned out to be a simple solution.

There was a BIOS setting buried in there that was the primary graphic adapter location [PCI-E].  Apparently it defaults to this setting and everything works as long as only one card is installed on the PCI-E x16 slots.  But if you put two cards in, the MB always tries to treat one of the MV8's as a video card.  This causes the power down problem (even though unRAID correctly id's it as a storage card, and works correctly).

But I changed the setting from PCI-E to Internal, so that the onboard video was primary.  Now it works correctly.