[Solved] Am I missing something? (BR10 Cards)

I'm looking to add an eight port SATA card to my new server to support PCI passthrough in ESXI 5.

I followed the link in the Controllers sticky to ServerSupply for BR10 cards and the cards there range from $45-$55 for new cards with the LSI1068E chipset.  Ebay has the same cards for $100ish.

What's the difference between the ServerSupply and Ebay cards?  There are three different cards listed at ServerSupply, IBM PN 44E8688, 44E8689 and 44E8690, still looking into the differences between those cards.

Don't want to waste money on something that won't work well and, historically, buying cheap has meant buying twice for me...

Best,

Jay

The controllers are basically the same. They are system pulls and will work - no problems there. The problem is that these pulls are often from 1U or 2U servers and as such they come without brackets.

So the only thing that you should be aware is to make sure that the controller comes with bracket (either full height or low profile depending from your case) as these are with non-standard location on the mounting holes and are basically very expensive to find.

For example the cheapest one on EBay is $11 shipped - http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=bracket+BR10i&_sacat=0&_odkw=bracket+BR10i&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313