Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hello,

I have the 'Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout' error on one of my drives out the blue, it has been in use for a few months and has data on there. I've read some other posts but would like to confirm the process please.

Stop the array

unmount disk

start array

let unraid rebuild disk if it can

The server is currently paused half way through a parity check, will this effect anything or should I wait for parity check to finish? As that drive is now offline, wont this mess up my parity? I also have been meaning to upgrade unraid version as I'm still back on 6.11.1, should i do this before or after fixing the disk issue?

Thank you for any help

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Please post the diagnostics first, and the output of

fdisk -l /dev/sdX

where X is the problem disk.

diagnostics attached 

do i copy that text into the terminal window? ive tried but it says no such file or directory. Its disk 4 so change to be /sd4, /sddisk4, /sd disk 4 etc is that correct?

tower-diagnostics-20240402-1342.zip

Edited by Monkey_Man
8 minutes ago, Monkey_Man said:

do i copy that text into the terminal window? ive tried but it says no such file or directory. Its disk 4 so change to be /sd4, /sddisk4, /sd disk 4 etc is that correct?

The Main tab shows the sd? part against each drive.  You need to select the letter appropriate to the drive.

28 minutes ago, itimpi said:

The Main tab shows the sd? part against each drive.  You need to select the letter appropriate to the drive.

ah of course, seems so simple now!

Disk /dev/sdh: 16.37 TiB, 18000207937536 bytes, 35156656128 sectors
Disk model: ST18000NM000J-2T
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes

22 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Syslog is completely spammed with ftp related info, see if you can stop that then reboot and post new diags after array start.

yes i did notice that, i was trying to setup ip cam ftp storage recording to an unnassigned drive but that all go put on hold recently without being set up properly. Will do what you suggested then post again.

56 minutes ago, Monkey_Man said:

Disk /dev/sdh: 16.37 TiB, 18000207937536 bytes, 35156656128 sectors

The disk lost the partition somehow, unassign the disk and start the array to see if the emulated disk mounts, if yes, and contents look correct, you can rebuild on top.

7 hours ago, JorgeB said:

The disk lost the partition somehow, unassign the disk and start the array to see if the emulated disk mounts, if yes, and contents look correct, you can rebuild on top.

ok, i will definately try this. im now having another issue that the server wont boot. i did upgrade the hardware a few months ago (just cpu and motherboard) but otherwise nothing has changed settings wise for the past year or so (part of the reason im thinking of upgrading to the latest version) ive tried removing all but 1 stick of ram and just created a new usb drive but so far no luck. system powers on, no motherboard lights and i can hear the drives spin up but just black screen/no input to monitor. i know for sure it hasnt booted as a subsequent press of the power button instantly shuts off where as if it had booted it would be a clean/slow shut down with power button press. Anything simple it could be? 

ok the plot thickens... it seems the motherboard was trying to use dgpu instead of igpu even tho it had booted fine many times previously. using old usb again and now boots fine after a few restarts. next issue.. i have a btrfs cache pool consisting of 2 x 1tb nvme drives for appdata, now 1 is showing as missing for some reason! the idea was this gives redundancy if a drive were to fail (which it seems it may have?) so as a tempory measure untill i can get a replacement drive how to i safetly make this back to 1 drive? is it as simple as changing the slots back to 1 and unraid will sort out the rest?

sorry about all this! hopefully i can get back to the original issue shortly 

9 hours ago, Monkey_Man said:

so as a tempory measure untill i can get a replacement drive how to i safetly make this back to 1 drive?

If it's a redundant pool just start the array with the missing device, it will automatically balance the pool to single

Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2024 at 9:19 AM, JorgeB said:

If it's a redundant pool just start the array with the missing device, it will automatically balance the pool to single

sorry for the delay, life is getting in the way of tinkering at the moment! I have taken the nvme out and it has balanced using 1 drive and seems fine so that's temporarily sorted. I actually have a new drive turned up today ready to fit so will sort that soon. I unassigned disk 4 and started the array. You mention 'see if the emulated disk mounts' it still says 'UNMOUNTABLE: UNSUPPORTED PARTITION LAYOUT' just now with disk missing. The removed disk is in unassigned drives with the option to preclear or format. Im not sure how to try and browse the contents of the disk. Ive going into mc in terminal to view the /mnt and it only shows disk 1,2,3, not 4. I've attached new diagnostics. Just thinking out loud, but as I have parity (dual parity actually) would it not be feasible to just format the disk, remount and let it rebuild? Obviously maintaining the data on it would be quicker, but parity is for this kind of thing I think? Let me know if I'm way off the mark! I really appreciate the help so far.

Edit: interestingly I have my shares as highwater and disk 4 is the newest disk.  my most recent files i know of have all been stored on disk 3 where as they should have been on 4 if functioning correctly. Is it possible when it done the initaly clear/format after adding the disk that it failed and it has just never worked properly without me noticing? 

tower-diagnostics-20240404-2232.zip

Edited by Monkey_Man
10 hours ago, Monkey_Man said:

it still says 'UNMOUNTABLE: UNSUPPORTED PARTITION LAYOUT'

No, now it says "Unsupported or no file system", which is different, I'm really starting to doubt disk4 was ever formatted, the emulated disk is not detecting any filesystem, are you absolutely sure that disk was ever formatted?

14 hours ago, JorgeB said:

No, now it says "Unsupported or no file system", which is different, I'm really starting to doubt disk4 was ever formatted, the emulated disk is not detecting any filesystem, are you absolutely sure that disk was ever formatted?

I'm doubting everything myself! I mean, I installed the disk, and allocated it to the array so then it done it's 20+hrs of formatting/clearing but it is definitely possible that I could have messed something up, or something went wrong during the process. Im fairly confident that had something gone wrong straight away or had it not been added to the array properly I would have noticed, but I wouldn't bet my life on it as I simply can't remember. What do you suggest I do from here? As it's out of the array now, can't I format then re add it and let parity build (assuming it was correctly working at some point) or if not it will just be treated as a new disk? I know formatting is a last resort usually so open to suggestions! Would taking the drive out and plugging into another pc to see if anything is on it be worth a shot?

• Solution
11 hours ago, Monkey_Man said:

and allocated it to the array so then it done it's 20+hrs of formatting/clearing

When you add a new disk to the array, it will be cleared, but not formatted, that would have to be done by you after the clearing was done.

In doubt you can use the trial version of UFS explorer to scan the disk and confirm if there's any data there, I would bet there won't be, then, and since the disk is now disabled, to "fix" the array rebuild the disk and format, format button is next to array stop button.

7 hours ago, JorgeB said:

When you add a new disk to the array, it will be cleared, but not formatted, that would have to be done by you after the clearing was done.

In doubt you can use the trial version of UFS explorer to scan the disk and confirm if there's any data there, I would bet there won't be, then, and since the disk is now disabled, to "fix" the array rebuild the disk and format, format button is next to array stop button.

So ive got the disk out and in another pc and view with UFS. Totally new to me so not 100% sure what im doing but under 'manage partitions' setting it says 'no partitions or regions defined on the storage' and the hex/sector viewing part shows just 00 across the board. Compared to say my system drive where this is populated with a combo of letters/number and some areas with 00 im guessing that is the data on the drive (not sure if there is a traditional file explorer with that software?). Judging by that it looks like its been cleared, but then never formatted? Is there other tests/checks to do with UFS before I remove the disk?

Next step then would be reinstall the disk, assign it back to disk 4, start array then format disk 4? This should the disk online ready for storage.

14 hours ago, Monkey_Man said:

Judging by that it looks like its been cleared, but then never formatted?

Yep.

14 hours ago, Monkey_Man said:

Next step then would be reinstall the disk, assign it back to disk 4, start array then format disk 4? This should the disk online ready for storage.

Yep, you will also have to rebuild it, format can be done during the rebuild.

On 4/7/2024 at 9:02 AM, JorgeB said:

Yep.

Yep, you will also have to rebuild it, format can be done during the rebuild.

Currently have a newborn so getting time on here or to play with the server is sporadic at best!

Just wanted to come back and say thank you so much for all the help. The drive is mounted and rebuilt and functioning perfectly now, as is the new cache pool nvme drive. Still havnt plugged the old drive into a pc to see what's going on but that can wait. Now all running smoothly again, and backups have been made, time to try upgrading the version. In the nicest possible way, hopefully i dont see you in a thread after I start that process 😅. Thanks again

• Like 1