So tell me unRAIDers, what's your next upgrade?

Install and upgrade drives as needed.  I currently only have one free slot (out of 9), so soon my server will be full and I'll look into upgrading my smaller drives to 2 TB or possibly 3 TB (using unRAID beta).  I have no plans to replace my server's internal hardware, I'm quite content with its performance.

Planning to virtualize unRaid following JohnM's awesome thread. I would really like to use server grade parts (MB with IPMI, EEC RAM, and XEON E3s) but I won't due to budget. I already have 16GB of non-ECC memory that I previously bought. Hoping all goes well.

Parts for ESXi upgrade (VT-d required):

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

Intel i5 2400

4 x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws

120-160GB SSD for datastore

IBM M1015 controller

Current unRAID server: (followed Rajahal's builds)

Biostar A760G M2+

AMS Athlon II X2 250

2GB Memory

7 x 2TB 7200rpm HDs

Cooler Master Centurion 590

Current ESXi server:

Asus M4A88T-M

AMD Sempron 140 Unlocked to Athlon II X2

4GB DDR3

1 x 1.5 TB datastore

Intel Pro 1GB NIC

Antec P180

I built my unRaid server with the Sempron 140 but I later upgraded to X2 250 when I got the Asus M4A88T-M, AMD X2 250, 4GB DDR3 combo as a backup hardware just in case the Biostar craps out on me.

Hello guys...

Dont forget about your Back-UPS especially if you have young children who like to unplug your equipment..unRAID works well with APC Back-UPS!

With regaurds to storage and the various sizes of our unRAID boxes; I cannot figure out why I would need anymore than say... 8-15TB worth of storage, anything other than that to me would be overkill unless you are a serious media horder.  Currently I have an 8.5TB Mini-Box with over 500+ HD/DVD movies and 23+ TV shows with over 2000 episodes and I still have over 3TB of storage left so here is my question..  What are the rest of you storing on your unRAID boxes that would require insane amounts of storage and 10-12+ HD's in an unRAID SuperTower? I would understand a bit more if unRAID required a one 2 one HD back-up system which it clearly does not! ???   

I'm building a second box will install ESXi and VMs of unRAID, WHS, Several other Windows VMs.  Plan on starting with 3x 3TB drives (thanks to WD RMAs of 2x 2TB drives and a purchased Hitachi 3TB) and 12x 2TB drives which I already had on hand for this project before the HD prices sky rocketed.  Just waiting for some time to set it up. 

Current unRAID server is getting full.  69% of 40TB currently but if I transfer all of the recorded files from my SageTV servers to my current unRAID server I would need a server with 42TB of storage and no free space.  I like to leave at least 25% free space so that I can fill it up with future recordings.  I plan on transferring the storage on the original server for ONE of my SageTV servers to the new server (approximately 15TB).  This should free up the 25% free I like to see.

So with 15TB already spoken for I will only have another 15TB available for DVD and BluRay rips.  My (soon to be retired) WHS box has 3TB of BluRay rips which is probably less then 20% of the space I will need so I may still be running short and may have to keep recordings on my SageTV servers instead.

I cannot figure out why I would need anymore than say... 8-15TB worth of storage, anything other than that to me would be overkill unless you are a serious media horder.  Currently I have an 8.5TB Mini-Box with over 500+ HD/DVD movies and 23+ TV shows with over 2000 episodes and I still have over 3TB of storage left so here is my question..  What are the rest of you storing on your unRAID boxes that would require insane amounts of storage and 10-12+ HD's in an unRAID SuperTower?

I'm a serious media horder :P

About 2200 movies; 1/4 are HD.  And I have the entire Criterion Collection in untouched DVD9.  I can't even imagine how much space I'd need if I had a large collection of BD50 images!!

The next step for me is probably relocating the newly reconfigured server to its new home in the utility/laundry room.

It is my newly built ESXi based box that has been sitting behind the lazy-boy in my tv/living room.

I have been happy with the box thus far and did not want to move it until everything was up and running!  Will post a UCD thread once it is safely in its new home.

Next project was to fill out my array.

Have a iStarUSA BPN-DE230SS and (3) 2TB drives...I could install them, preclear, and... ;D

...I would use them.  Leaving me with no spares. :'(

For "unfun"

Also figure out why my Gig Network appears to be transferring at only 100mbps. :(  - although all the lights and eth0 show 1000mbps.  Hopefully it is just a router reset or bad cable.  

The next step for me is probably relocating the newly reconfigured server to its new home in the utility/laundry room.

It is my newly built ESXi based box that has been sitting behind the lazy-boy in my tv/living room.

I have been happy with the box thus far and did not want to move it until everything was up and running!  Will post a UCD thread once it is safely in its new home.

Can't wait to see your post about your ESXi prostuff1. What parts do you use?

I wont go into detail but the main part of the server is a Supermicro C2SbC-Q and a Q9300

I should have a UCD post up within a month... when I get some vacation time near christmas.

I wont go into detail but the main part of the server is a Supermicro C2SbC-Q and a Q9300

I should have a UCD post up within a month... when I get some vacation time near christmas.

Do tell. I think I may try an upgrade to an ESXi Capable motherboard/controller setup.

I built my server back in early October.  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=15756.0

My planned upgrades for this box are:

• Extend my 12V 4 Pin CPU power cable so I can route it better
  • Add 4 more drives when needed
  • Upgrade parity to a 7200RPM enterprise/RAID drive

At this point, I don't think I'm going to tweak it too much.  I've been very interested to see the VMWare implementations of unRAID.  Big picture, I intend to build a second server with every intention of having it be an ESXi based, server level build.