limetech

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry to say, but no improvements according NFS  :'(

For example, subtitle stop showing after some minutes and other issue reported in below link.

Maybe it's NFS no longer going to be supported as previous kernel. FYI B11 is NFS flawless, but I have some other issue with kernel panic on that build.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=16125.msg151636#msg151636

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=16125.msg151693#msg151693

syslog-2011-11-25.zip

I have good news. I had severe problems with v13 and the kernel 3.1.0. I have posted the syslog in the v13 thread. Now, I have installed v14 and rebooted. Everything seems to be ok for the moment. No read errors from the disks. I do not use NFS, though. AFP and SMB ok. I have also a few add-ons, they seem to be working as well. Now, I will try to spin down and spin up and will let you know if I get any errors.

Edit: No errors after spinning down and up manually or by trying to read from the array. In addition quite nice transfer speeds. Using AFP and a single 550MB file; download 65-73MB/s, upload to cache 45-49MB/s, to the array without using cache 36,6MB/s.

Thanks, Tom. Thumbs up.

Not good...

First I'll say it started out what appeared to be stable and the fastest it has run in a long time. I was transferring files from cache to array at 30-45MB/s usually closer to the 450000KB/s mark.. all my plugins/add-ons fired up fine...

I had a few non-descript minor errors go past that I am not familiar with. probably nothing important.

As soon as i forced 2 drives to sleep and tried to use the array or invoke the mover, all hell broke loose.

This looks like a continuation of the LSI issues.

The drives would not spin back up automatically, the webgui error count took off like a jet, the mover failed and  file copies straight to a disk (disk6) showed the filesystem as read only. even after manually restarting the disks.

I also started getting dupe file errors that are not dupes? I'll have to check that.

I had to reboot to regain my array. It did boot back up OK. no redballs this time around.

I am running this unRAID under ESXi. I unfortunately can not down that server today to test it natively.

Syslog attached.

If someone else can reproduce my errors on bare metal. that would be helpful.

syslog-2011-11-25.zip

Maybe it's NFS no longer going to be supported as previous kernel.

I find it hard to believe that NFS will not be supported on a *nix environment - after all, NFS is THE Unix network filing system.  I also find it hard to believe that the NFS faults are inherent in the Linux kernel - the problems we are seeing are so significant that they wouldn't escape alpha tests in Linux.  However, I have two machines now running Ubuntu 11.10 (with a 3.x kernel) so I will perform some tests transferring files between those.

I wonder whether some change in the kernel between 2.x and 3.x is exposing a shortcoming in Tom's code.

For the time being, I will have to stick with beta11.

Good news!  Installed Beta 14 today - drives are spinning down appropriately now (had been having problems where only two of the six spun down).  AWESOME!  One step closer to a final release!

Update: Spoke too soon....I can spin down only five of the six (disk 2 won't spin down...and it appears only drive 3 spun down over night....syslog attached

My hardware:

NORCO 4220 case

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 PSU

Supermicro MBD-X8SIL-F-O mainboard

Intel Core I3 processor

4GB RAM

2 x AOC-SASLP-MV8 controllers

2 x WD 2GB EARX (one of which is the parity drive)

4 x WD 2GB EARS

1 x WD 1.5GB EADS

syslog-2011-11-26.txt

I find it hard to believe that NFS will not be supported on a *nix environment - after all, NFS is THE Unix network filing system.  I also find it hard to believe that the NFS faults are inherent in the Linux kernel - the problems we are seeing are so significant that they wouldn't escape alpha tests in Linux.  However, I have two machines now running Ubuntu 11.10 (with a 3.x kernel) so I will perform some tests transferring files between those.

I wonder whether some change in the kernel between 2.x and 3.x is exposing a shortcoming in Tom's code.

Is it a shortcoming or something unexpected in fuse?

peter_sm are you using NFS to access the usershare or disk share?

Is it a shortcoming or something unexpected in fuse?

peter_sm are you using NFS to access the usershare or disk share?

I use user share, and it´s only for streaming to my Tvix

//Peter

;D

Update !

Did a test with both user share and disk share (Streaming to Tvix) !

• Using user share I have issue for example with subtitles that stop showing after some seconds
  • Using same movie from a disk share all is playing flawless  ;D  ;D  ;D

@Tom, now you have something to work with  ;)

//Peter

;D

Update !

• Using user share I have issue for example with subtitles that stop showing after some seconds

//Peter

I also experienced the disappearance of subtitles once. Using Tvix and NFS as well. I was running b13.

;D

Update !

//Peter

Playing with these settings ifconfig eth0 mtu 5000 make improvements to transfer file from unraid to windows7  :)

But steaming from Tvix with these settings make it impossible to browse the NFS share (user share)

But SAMBA and disk share(NFS) is still good-

UPDATE

With above settings for ifconfig is..

SAMBA  OK

Disk share (NFS is not working)

//Peter

I seem to have the drive spin-down problem as well.  I tried to spin down all drives from the unraid menu page, and then I checked in the unmenu mymain page.  Three of the drives, including the parity drive, out of nine, did not spin down.  I was able to spin those down by clicking on the spin icon on mymain.  

I still run beta 13.  Syslog attached.  There seem to be a few errors in there but I am still a newb.  I have transferred about 100 GB to the new array under beta 13.

EDIT:  I let the server idle for about 1.5 hrs, and all of my drives spun down _except_ these three drives.  Any ideas about what I can do?  Should I turn off the unraid idle as suggested below?

syslog-2011-11-26.txt

Have run some tests...disk spin down is haphazard at best.  Every time I click Spin Down, I get different results from the drives.  The log reports that the command is being sent...but the results are random.  Very weird.  Syslog attached...would appreciate if one of the pros could take a look and see what they think.  Is it unRAID?  My configuration?  Perhaps faulty hardware?  

The only way I can imagine to troubleshoot is to revert to 4.7 and see if the drives spin down correctly - is it possible to go back to 4.7 and return to 5b14 without destroying data?  I'm willing to rebuild parity, but don't want to lose my data.  Prefer not to lose the 5b14 configuration either... can I save the 5b14 configuration (shares, etc) and reload it when I return?

syslog-2011-11-26-1.txt

Skank - I'm running B14....although the spin down problem has persisted through b12a, b13 and now b14....

If you disable unRAID spindown, and use the drive's built-in spindown feature, does that help with the spindown problems?

hdparm -S9 /dev/sdX

e.g., to sleep sda after 4 hours

hdparm -S248 /dev/sda

-S

Set the standby (spindown) timeout for the drive. This value is used by the drive to determine how long to wait (with no disk activity) before turning off the spindle motor to save power. Under such circumstances, the drive may take as long as 30 seconds to respond to a subsequent disk access, though most drives are much quicker. The encoding of the timeout value is somewhat peculiar. A value of zero means "off". Values from 1 to 240 specify multiples of 5 seconds, for timeouts from 5 seconds to 20 minutes. Values from 241 to 251 specify from 1 to 11 units of 30 minutes, for timeouts from 30 minutes to 5.5 hours. A value of 252 signifies a timeout of 21 minutes, 253 sets a vendor-defined timeout, and 255 is interpreted as 21 minutes plus 15 seconds.

;D

Update !

//Peter

Playing with these settings ifconfig eth0 mtu 5000 make improvements to transfer file from unraid to windows7  :)

But steaming from Tvix with these settings make it impossible to browse the NFS share (user share)

But SAMBA and disk share(NFS) is still good-

UPDATE

With above settings for ifconfig is..

SAMBA  OK

Disk share (NFS is not working)

//Peter

I thought mtu 1500 was the default for a local ethernet interface?

I know that some network segments require us to do 1492 to allow room for traffic destination information. I guess it can't hurt to try that.

If you can get on the TivX try and do an ifconfig to see it's settings.

installed 5.0b14 last night everything looked good this morning.  Spundown and back up no problem.  I have a LSI1068 controller working ok.:) Went to sleep fine. Was testing user shares and 2 of 7 are not accessible.  Tested under win7 and linuxmint.  Restarted samba still no.  Restarted unraid still no.  attached is syslog.  P.s.  Also showing last parity check 15305 days ago.

Reran new permissions utility.  Looks like that might have worked.  Will test on files/folders.

Syslog.txt.zip

With Private Security enabled (User Level) robocopy fails with:

Error 5 Changing File Attributes.

I can read, write and add folders through the share normally.

I am using SMB.

[update]:  When I delete all users except "root" and change all share access to public, it works.  I know this is a small issue compared to the others, but the more information that Limetech gets, the better chance that problems/bugs can be tracked down.  I've been writing software since the mid-70s and I know it generally takes more time to find a problem than fix it.  The more information that Limetech has, the better.

It appears that this is related to user level security and may explain some of the other issues mentioned here.