unRAID Server Release 5.0-beta14 Available

limetech

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes but he should tell us that instead of coming online having a look at what we have written and then disappering again!! Takes a few minutes to update us on what hes upto. One word for this is "arrogant"

arrogant is a strong, and wrong,  word for this.

He has posted that he was moving.

He has posted a while back that he has other responsibilities.

He logs on fairly often and handles support requests.  It's clear that he could use more help.

However,  I don't think he's arrogant in how unRAID updates are being handled.

I'll ask you kindly to refrain from that sort of assumption in public and if you continue to have this feeling, address it to Tom directly.

Believe me, we would all like to have more frequent updates as to the direction and status of unRAID.

I run two business. I have moved houses and buisness premises but I always keep my customers updated with my movements as they are who pay my bills at the end of the day. There is NO excuse for his lack of contact. If he feels that this is a hobby and not a business then maybe he should pass this over to individuals who give a crap. He logs on BUT does not handle any support request. I bet he is very happy to take money though for the licences!!!

I run two business. I have moved houses and buisness premises but I always keep my customers updated with my movements as they are who pay my bills at the end of the day. There is NO excuse for his lack of contact. If he feels that this is a hobby and not a business then maybe he should pass this over to individuals who give a crap. He logs on BUT does not handle any support request. I bet he is very happy to take money though for the licences!!!

Since this is veering off topic as to software issues with Beta 14, I'm going to recommend that you contact limetech with your issue directly.

I agree that it is not arrogance, but more likely a lack of commitment, and focus!

Tom did state that 5 final would most likely be released by months end, that was February, he also stated he would give us weekly updates, so we could know where things stand. And back in October Tom stated that 5.0 final should be released very soon.

Yes but he should tell us that instead of coming online having a look at what we have written and then disappering again!! Takes a few minutes to update us on what hes upto. One word for this is "arrogant"

arrogant is a strong, and wrong,  word for this.

He has posted that he was moving.

He has posted a while back that he has other responsibilities.

He logs on fairly often and handles support requests.  It's clear that he could use more help.

However,  I don't think he's arrogant in how unRAID updates are being handled.

I'll ask you kindly to refrain from that sort of assumption in public and if you continue to have this feeling, address it to Tom directly.

Believe me, we would all like to have more frequent updates as to the direction and status of unRAID.

This is the support thread for the release. This IS NOT a bitch thread. Take it somewhere else before we end up with pages of posts of bitching which completely messes with anyone trying to read this thread for support issues. It'd be ideal if you deleted your wrongful bitching posts at the same time. If you just must bitch about the slow release then I suggest taking it to the Lounge.

Folks. Over in the MOVE NEWS thread, Tom stated

My goal is to complete 5.0 by end of February.  Thanks to everyone for your patience - I realize it's almost inexcusable how long this has taken, but good things are coming!

Read It's a GOAL not a promise.

Since this is veering off topic, I'm going to ask those who want to comment on Limtech's performance contact limetech directly, or post in the move news thread.

I suspect I missed this but why *did* the beta kernel version jump from 2.6.x to the new 3 stream?

It struck me as an odd thing to be doing mid beta cycle as it's a fairly massive change. But I'm sure there was a good reason?

The 3.0.x Kernel series is useable. The 3.1 and 3.2 are not.

As for having to keep upgrading from 2.6 to 3.x it's because when you're writing kernel drivers and troubleshooting issues and trying to get help from the Linux Kernel devs, their first and sometimes only response is "Are you running on the latest bleeding edge kernel?"

Anything specific?

NIC drivers (Intel, Atheros, Realtek), LSI based SATA controller cards, and SASLP controller card (there is a newer version of that card out, SAS2LP or SASLP2, that is only support in the latest couple betas because of the newer kernel).

Thanks - useful info. It's hard to keep track with all the beta threads and pull out the important tidbits.

There seems to be a quandary with unRAID and Linux kernels.  It was stated that the 3.x Linux kernels offer more driver support and was the primary reason for switching to the newer kernel mid-beta, but has apparently broken support for certain "existing" hardware that worked perfectly under the 2.6 kernel.

Due to these issues that are beyond LimeTech's control, 5.0 unRAID appears to be in a holding pattern, which given the lengthly 5 beta (2 years), truly has frustrated one and all.

If there appears to be no kernel updates in the foreseeable future that is guaranteed to resolve the significant 3.x hardware issues, might I suggest LimeTech offer two versions of unRAID 5?  One with the 2.6 kernel for those customers with hardware that "breaks" under existing 3.x kernel, and another version with the 3.x kernel for everyone else (which it seems may not necessarily be the latest 3.2)?

Yes, supporting two different versions of v5 unRAID would be logistically more challenging, but in the face of further delays due to the uncertainty of kernel fixes coupled with two years and counting that customers have been anxiously waiting for an official 5.0 unRAID release, I think as a business, LimeTech must move forward and accept the additional support burden instead of remaining in perpetual limbo at the mercy of outside parties.  The new features and functionality offered by 5.0 unRAID are desperately needed by customers attempting to utilize newer technologies, such as >2TB hard drives.

Just my opinion, but having once been a business owner myself, as well as now being a software developer, I know the hardships and difficult decisions one must endure and make in order to ensure profitability and livelihood of their business...

If the route described by Auggie is taken, I would recommend the following:

If the bootloader is capable of reading a file to determine which OS to boot with, set it up so that on an initial install in which that default file does not exist, it boots a kernel that's sole purpose is to analyze the hardware and determine which kernel to load for normal operation.

Running beta 14 on my HP micro server with Intel NIC & 2 port SATA controller plus four 3TB Hitachi Cool Spin drives ($109 from NewEgg at one time  :'( ). Absolutely no hassle, furn it on watch TV episodes, copy new TV episodes run Media Center Master for meta Data, watch more TV episodes, turn the beast off. Repeat the next few days until 9TB of data being filled. That has been my routine for the past 4 months and if you search through the posts here you can see my hesitation of changing to v5b14. For all those that are on the knives edge shell out $200+ when a deal comes around on the HP N40L server and swap the drives and settle down with peace of mind knowing your rig is up and running and making you look good.

Hi Thx for the updated version I will have a go @ it as currently Im sticking with B12a as I have a BR10i IT... Has anyone tested this with a LSI adapter ?

peter_sm... thanks for posting your updated version!

Tried it this morning on my test server, which has a BR10i,... didn't work for me :(

Had the same problems on mine as the rest...

I'm sticking with b12a... it works with my hardware :)

As a point of information, Linux Kernel 3.3 rc5 posted up last weekend.  One of the fixes was a floating point error which occurred in the 32 bit version running on 64 processors.  With the current state of flux in the version 3 of the Linux Kernel, you might understand the reluctance of LimeTech to release ver 5. 

Just upgraded to 14 from 13 and I'm seeing new files be added as root/root instead of nobody/users when using SMB.  I ran newperms previously and have run it again (my understanding was this just recursively changed the owner to nobody/users) but nothing I've done has changed the default owner.

There's noting in the syslogs but spinups and spindowns.

I haven't tried NFS because it's been unstable for a long time (for me) on the betas (earlier than 9 I believe).

Is there an issue with the permission script not actually working? When I do a chmod on any of my older files, There's nothing ticked or selected (while using MC) for any of the attributes. Which makes it hard to playback files unless i log in as root.

Anything newer that's been created by sickbeard/sab works fine.

Just upgraded to 14 from 13 and I'm seeing new files be added as root/root instead of nobody/users when using SMB.  I ran newperms previously and have run it again (my understanding was this just recursively changed the owner to nobody/users) but nothing I've done has changed the default owner.

There's noting in the syslogs but spinups and spindowns.

I haven't tried NFS because it's been unstable for a long time (for me) on the betas (earlier than 9 I believe).

Strange.  Rebooted for an unrelated issue (needed to move power strips) and all new writes are now writing as nobody:nogroup rather than root:root.  Will continue to watch.