unRAID Server Release 5.0-beta14 Available

limetech

I'm looking at upgrading to V5 either this weekend or next weekend depending on time available. 

Based on the hardware list in my signature, which release of V5.0 should I use that would have the least driver issues and be most stable?

The biggest feature I am looking for is 3TB drive support.

--

unRAID 4.7

Antec 1200

Biostar TA790GXE 128M / AMD Athalon II x2 3.0

4 GB OCZ DDR 1066 / Corsair HX750 PSU

Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

3 - 2TB Hitachi 7200 RPM (1 - parity)

2 - 2TB Samsung HD204UI

1 - 2TB WD20EARS

2 - 1TB WD10EALS

1 - 500 GB Hitachi HDS721050CLA362

I found this version more stable with my MV8, over the other "stable" version 12a

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the input.

Sounds like b14 is the way to go.

I don't have any "free" drives to test the migration on.  Is there much risk to the data, or is it just the parity? 

I will run a full parity check before migrating and at least short smart test the drives. 

There are some warnings in the migration instructions about looking for warnings before starting the array for the first time, and I will look for anything unusual.

I plan to make a full copy of my thumb drive, stored and backed up elsewhere, before updating so I can revert back if things look wrong before starting parity.  I actually am now wishing I had bought two licenses when I got my key, but live and learn.

Any other suggestions?

Is there any reason not to stick with b13?  I was waiting to see how 14 was going before exposing my data to it, got distracted by actual reality, and now I find myself asking!  Can anyone chime in?

I've been running b13 since it was released and it's been quite solid for me with 11 data drives, 1 parity, 1 cache using MB connectors and two Rosewill RC-218 PCI Express SATA II Controller Cards.

Since b13 was solid on my setup, didn't see the point in going to b14 since it was just a kernel upgrade.

Thanks for the feedback. 

Does anyone in this community know the details of which chipset is supported on each versions of unraid? 

5.0-14 - xxxxx

5.0.13 - xxxxx

5.0.12 - LSI SAS2008 FW - XXX Driver xxx

I would document this and share if I knew the details. 

Thanks again

New B14 build with kernel 3.3.1

http://www.filefactory.com/f/8dc509eb6d610f88/

Includes also following.........  ;)

SAMBA 3.6.4

And some extra modules.

Conexant cx23885 (2388x successor) support (VIDEO_CX23885)

LSI Logic MegaRAID SAS RAID Module (MEGARAID_SAS)

LSI Logic New Generation RAID Device Drivers (MEGARAID_NEWGEN)

LSI Logic Legacy MegaRAID Driver (MEGARAID_LEGACY)

//Peter

SAMBA 3.6.4

And some extra modules.

//Peter

Peter -----

Would you explain why you included the Conexant and LSI Logic modules into this new build.  And will the inclusion of these modules affect those of us you do not have the hardware which needs these modules.

Thanks,

Frank

SAMBA 3.6.4

And some extra modules.

//Peter

Peter -----

Would you explain why you included the Conexant and LSI Logic modules into this new build.  And will the inclusion of these modules affect those of us you do not have the hardware which needs these modules.

Thanks,

Frank

One nice guy is working on a nice multimedia plugin TV card (Conexant ) so he can store TV shows on the server, very a  NICE plugin!!

The other I give for free  ;D  ;D  ;)

SAMBA 3.6.4

And some extra modules.

//Peter

Thank You

I will wait for reports from JohnM because I'm sure he's testing this out on his LSI's!

Actually i have been absent from the boards for the last week. We had a major disaster at work and a runaway SCCM script from corporate formatted about 100 of the systems at our location overnight. I have been doing damage control.. ugh.

User created updates... It looks very promising...

I do not think I'll have time to test this for a while. but it sounds like a like a needed upgrade!

I do have a spare m1015 and 4 or 5 120gb SSD's... maybe i'll build RAJ's dream ssd server next week..

the problem is, those dont sleep to trip the bug.. I might have some older 160GB-500GB drives in a box and build a test unRAID vm.

Honestly,

I don't think I want to put my production box on the line right now. I have not backed it up in a few weeks(bad bad bad). i need to get more drives for my backup server first. I totally filled it up the backup server. I am trying to bargain hunt some 3TB or 4TB drives. I am done with 2TB drives (Yes i keep saying that, i need to hold my stance).

The next problem is, I don't have a testing license. I''ll have to build it on the free version. IMO, that should be fine. I just cant test a cache drive.

Thanks Peter_sm for the update

I will wait for reports from JohnM because I'm sure he's testing this out on his LSI's!

Don't bother testing it. LSI + spindown + spinup + parity check = a lot of errors.

There's something bothering me about this issue: it's taking so log to got fixed! Someone tried those 3.1.x kernels with the original md driver? Maybe the way the unRAID md driver access the disks is triggering this bug.

Don't bother testing it. LSI + spindown + spinup + parity check = a lot of errors.

There's something bothering me about this issue: it's taking so log to got fixed! Someone tried those 3.1.x kernels with the original md driver? Maybe the way the unRAID md driver access the disks is triggering this bug.

not good...

Disappointing to hear. Guess that means still sitting on 5b12 for awhile longer.

OFF TOPIC:

After have some weird syslog messages about netatalk and Time Machine, I'd compiled netatalk-2.2.2 to v5b12a with all dependencies updated to latest version:

avahi-0.6.31

db-5.3.15

libdaemon-0.14

libgcrypt-1.5.0

libgpg-error-1.9

netatalk-2.2.2

The package can be found here: http://gfjardim.googlecode.com/files/netatalk-2.2.2-alldep-unRAID.txz

It should be downloaded to your unRAID's "/boot/extra" directory.

I've been running this successfully for two days.