Gaming VM, CPU selection and 1% low FPS

Hi folks,

I used to be a gamer until my mid twenties. Work and family, life as you might call it, "took over". A year or so ago Ron Gilbert released Return to Monkey Island, and man... it took me back to the good old times with adventure games, Lucas Arts, Sierra, Larry, Roger Wilco, Sam'n'Max and so forth. Memory lane...
Anyway. Return to Monkey Island woke up the dorment gamer in me and I have played Fallen Order, Survivor, The Last of Us and I'm currently working my way through Alan Wake 2 (scary or what?)... and I'm really looking forward to Outlaws!

Not sure why I'm sharing my life story... anyway... to make a long story a bit longer.

My current setup is
- Intel i7-12700K
- 64 GB DDR4
- RTX 4070 Super
- Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB (NVMe (passed))

I have pinned 5 P-cores to the Gaming VM (W11) and 32 GB RAM. Pinning 6 cores does not give me any notable performance gain in-game. To play I'm using Sunshine and Moonlight on Apple TV with Xbox 360 controller. Works great, and would work even better if Nvidia fixed the HAGS issue.

With RTSS running I see that the GPU is running at ~70% in most games. Will upgrading the CPU to i9-14900K (or even i7-14700K) increase performance? An increase in 1% low FPS would be great.
From my limited knowledge about bottlenecking it seems that the CPU is "to blame".

I still have the same showstoppers (and a dog) that put the gamer in me to sleep, so when I actually have the time to disembowl some Imperial bastards, find the secret of Monkey Island or shit my pants reading Alan's manuscripts I want to do it with all graphical settings set to HIGH.

To summarise... will upgrading from i7-12700K to i9-14900K give me a boost in 1% low FPS?

Best regards...

Edited by mjorud
  • mjorud changed the title to Gaming VM, CPU selection and 1% low FPS