unRAID 4.7 Time Machine support for Mountain Lion/Lion/Snow Leopard/Leopard

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I finally installed this on my newest unRAID server tonight.  Everything went smooth, except that when I was setting it up, I type none instead of 'none' for the users so I was not able to access it through guest.  I reinstalled it doing the correct 'none' with the marks and then guest work no problem.

My first backup has already finished so all is good.

Except I am getting syslog entries every minute or so now.  Here is an example

Jan  4 20:21:14 Tower2 afpd[4638]: afp_disconnect: primary reconnect succeeded
Jan  4 20:21:25 Tower2 avahi-daemon[2952]: Received response from host 192.168.1.1 with invalid source port 32768 on interface 'eth0.0' (Network)
Jan  4 20:22:06 Tower2 last message repeated 2 times
Jan  4 20:23:23 Tower2 last message repeated 3 times
Jan  4 20:24:53 Tower2 last message repeated 3 times
Jan  4 20:26:23 Tower2 last message repeated 3 times
Jan  4 20:27:53 Tower2 last message repeated 3 times
Jan  4 20:28:06 Tower2 afpd[4635]: afp_zzz: entering extended sleep
Jan  4 20:28:07 Tower2 avahi-daemon[2952]: Received response from host 192.168.1.1 with invalid source port 32768 on interface 'eth0.0' (Network)
Jan  4 20:28:44 Tower2 last message repeated 2 times
Jan  4 20:29:51 Tower2 last message repeated 4 times

Any ideas what I need to do?

I tried installing this via the web script on my 4.7 box. This is what I get

Where would you like Time Machine to back up to on your unRAID array?  ie. /mnt/disk1/TM

Enter directory: /mnt/disk1/TM

Which unRAID users would you like to grant Time Machine permissions to?  ie: user1,user2,user3

Enter comma delimited list of users ('none' will enable guest access): none

Guest access on by default

Do you want to limit the amount of space given to Time Machine Backups? [y/n] n

Start daemons now? [y/n] y

Failed to start message bus: Could not get UID and GID for username "messagebus"

Installation complete!

You should now be able to see "Time Capsule" as a valid backup target in Time Machine

Even after a reboot I dont see it available on my TimeMachine Disks.

Thanks!

Which unRAID users would you like to grant Time Machine permissions to?  ie: user1,user2,user3

Try redoing it and instead of none for the guest access type in 'none'  That is what I did to have guest access on my 4.7 basic 3 disk system that has no users.

What has IP 192.168.1.1 on your network?  I assume it is a wireless router?

These error messages are likely benign.

It is my router address.  Glad that it should not be an issue.  But just wonder, if anyone else is have this happen in their syslog.  Mine occur every 37 seconds.  I am using it on a 4.7 unRAID basic 3 disk system.

Try redoing it and instead of none for the guest access type in 'none'   That is what I did to have guest access on my 4.7 basic 3 disk system that has no users.

What has IP 192.168.1.1 on your network?  I assume it is a wireless router?

These error messages are likely benign.

It is my router address.  Glad that it should not be an issue.  But just wonder, if anyone else is have this happen in their syslog.  Mine occur every 37 seconds.  I am using it on a 4.7 unRAID basic 3 disk system.

Same error:

Where would you like Time Machine to back up to on your unRAID array?  ie. /mnt/disk1/TM

Enter comma delimited list of users ('none' will enable guest access): 'none'

Do you wish to allow Guest access? [y/n] y

Failed to start message bus: Could not get UID and GID for username "messagebus"

Installation complete!

Installation complete!

You should now be able to see "Time Capsule" as a valid backup target in Time Machine

Thanks!

Weird -- your system does not have the 'messagebus' user or group set up on it.  I would assume that you have upgraded this system from an earlier version of 4.X?

You're going to have to add that useradd line to your go script or you'll have the same problem on reboot.

Try redoing it and instead of none for the guest access type in 'none'   That is what I did to have guest access on my 4.7 basic 3 disk system that has no users.

That should make no difference whatsoever.  I can only think you did not actually type none the first time and maybe put a space in there?  In all my testing, I always just typed none without the quotes.

Installation complete!

Thanks!

Weird -- your system does not have the 'messagebus' user or group set up on it.  I would assume that you have upgraded this system from an earlier version of 4.X?

You're going to have to add that useradd line to your go script or you'll have the same problem on reboot.

Im using 4.7

I added "useradd -g messagebus messagebus" to the go script but after a reboot I cant connect to timemachine. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I ran your scripts, and things started to look like they were working (started backing up, etc).  The next morning, though, the array had basically crashed.  I was able to get in through telnet and this is what I noticed:

-NFS was hosed.  All network machines connected via NFS were stalled (processes waiting on sync)

-waiting task count was HUGE.  150 or so?  (from top/uptime)

-I was out of ram (from top)

-there were a few hundred (hence waiting tasks I guess) processes for the mover script

-the syslog was constantly showing rsync messages (mover script)

I rescued it by manually killing basically every process and then stopping the array from webconfig (array stop was unresponsive while mover was running)

My guess is that the parallel rsyncs over the "slice" files (which make up the virtual HD/sparsebundle that timemachine mounts) ran me out of memory.  (I have either 1 or 2 GB of ram and an AMD AM2 processor with 2 cores)

Which of these should I do:

-turn off cache drive for my time machine share (really don't like this for obvious reasons)

-add swap via cache drive (very non-standard change, might effect other things?)

-something else?

• 3 weeks later...

I think I've run into an issue not previously reported. I ran the script successfully, and there are no errors in the syslog on my unRAID server. When I try to start the Time Machine backup, it thinks for a while and gives me this message:

The backup disk image “/Volumes/Time Capsule/._joshs-mac_68a86d0ffdc0.sparsebundle” could not be accessed (error -1).

Poking around the TM share, it looks like that file is getting created:

-rwx-----x 1 root  root    4096 2012-02-08 17:56 ._joshs-mac_68a86d0ffdc0.sparsebundle*

A couple of things:

* I don't know if this is a bad thing, but I set the TM share as /mnt/user/time.machine, instead of /mnt/diskX/TM as in the example. It already existed and was being exported as an smb share from previous expirements.

* I'm running the free version of unRAID for the time being.

Anyone have any thoughts? I attached the script output and syslog, although it all seems to be in order... Thanks in advance!

*edit - attachments don't seem to be working for me... I can email them to folks, or add it inline if necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks a bunch - worked right out of the gate.  Quick question, I have set to no size limit, but want to change after i have installed.  How best to change that setting?

Add a volsizelimit entry to the last line of /boot/config/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default

volsizelimit:1000000

That would limit the size available to TM to 1GB.

ex:

"/mnt/disk5/Backups/Time Machine" "Time Capsule" ......... perm:2770 volsizelimit:1000000 ea:ad

Then copy the file to /usr/local/etc/netatalk/:

cp -p /boot/config/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default /usr/local/etc/netatalk/

and get afpd to reload the config:

kill -SIGHUP $(ps -eo pid,fname|grep afpd|awk '{print $1}')

So far TimeMachine has been working flawless for me. Of course I've not tried a restore, but I guess I'll be hounding this thread if I ever need to. ;)

Thanks for the script and it works great.

I did do a Machine name change on my Mac yesterday from "Amanda's Mac" to "Steve" and I recieved a message later saying something to the matter of "It looks like somebody has changed your name" Of course it wouldn't do anything until I said OK I understand.

Not a bug, but thought it was rather funny. Luckily for me I'm new to this machine and my backups are not super inportant to me so I simply deleted the "Amanda's Mac" off unRAID and let "Steve" start over.

I know there is supposed to be a Firmware update because of problems with restores with TimeMachine that just came out. Did you do the update already?

Keep in mind I've owned my Mac for about 2weeks now and haven't even atempted a restore as of yet. ;)

I'm trying to do a restore from the DVD, to restore the entire Volume.  I have tried Guest w/o a pw and no luck.  I don't know if I did something wrong when I setup or this is a bug, but either way it's not good. 

Also, I have installed the patch/update for 10.7.3. 

Just curious if anyone has had any success in accessing their Unraid TimeCapsule for a full restore from their DVD/ Intall Disk.  Might help narrow this down to a system issue ( my probelm) or a software problem ( our problem).  A backup won't do us any good if we can't retreive it.