unRAID 4.7 Time Machine support for Mountain Lion/Lion/Snow Leopard/Leopard

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Time Machine was working fine for me until two weeks ago... now when I try to backup, Time Machine gives me the following error...What is wrong and how do I fix it?

There was a problem connecting to the server “Tower.local”.

The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported. Please contact your system administrator to resolve the problem.

I am using OSX 10.7.3 on an early 2011 Macbook Pro...

I agree that restoring a few files from within TimeMachine is not a problem.  I able to do that, no issue.  What I am curious to know has anyone tried restoring an entire volume using the Install DVD to access their TimeCapsule.

I'll try it on a spare disc in my MacPro...

I tried.. no dice.. boot from 10.6 disk .. select restore from timemachine. It detects my unraid and then says.. Enter your name and password for the serve "UnRAID (Tower)" so that the time machine can access it.. you can't enter a blank username and password and nothing else works.

I am also getting the same problem as jpark31 and I get this on all 3 of my Macs, running OS X 10.7.3.

Can anyone advise? :'(

Time Machine was working fine for me until two weeks ago... now when I try to backup, Time Machine gives me the following error...What is wrong and how do I fix it?

The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported. Please contact your system administrator to resolve the problem.

problem_connecting_to_server.jpg.804bf4d0fc55382829f804b578730a35.jpg

I am also getting the same problem as jpark31 and I get this on all 3 of my Macs, running OS X 10.7.3.

Can anyone advise? :'(

Me too.  Finally just uninstalled it for now.

Ok I am not sure whether this fixed the problem for me.

Turns out I recently created a share in UNRAID that has the same name as the share for Time Machine backups.

Deleted the former and my Time Machine backups seem to be OK again.

Ok either that or the fact that I switched to "guest" access :P

To elkay14: Many thanks for your great job!

I agree that restoring a few files from within TimeMachine is not a problem.  I able to do that, no issue.  What I am curious to know has anyone tried accessing their Time Capsule from the Install DVD and/or restoring an entire volume. 

I agree too. I tried restoring an entire volume using the "Recovery HD" volume (press "Alt" when start iMac) from OS X Lion 10.7.3 and selecting "restore from Time Machine". No luck  :(

I saw the message "There was a problem connecting to the server “Tower.local”. The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported. Please contact your system administrator to resolve the problem." (login is guest with blank password).

I turned off sharing the Time Machine folder on unRAID, like on the picture "Disable_SMB_share", then restarted unRAID. No luck.

I stopped the samba and nfsd daemons on unRAID via telnet by commands:

/etc/rc.d/rc.samba stop

/etc/rc.d/rc.nfsd stop

No luck  :(

I hope that my experiences will help fix the "entire volume restoring" trouble.

Excuse me for my english.

Disable_SMB_share.jpg.8263963deaa9ffb22664041db35ecaf7.jpg

I agree too. I tried restoring an entire volume using the "Recovery HD" volume (press "Alt" when start iMac) from OS X Lion 10.7.3 and selecting "restore from Time Machine". No luck  :(

I saw the message "There was a problem connecting to the server “Tower.local”. The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported. Please contact your system administrator to resolve the problem." (login is guest with blank password).

I turned off sharing the Time Machine folder on unRAID, like on the picture "Disable_SMB_share", then restarted unRAID. No luck.

I stopped the samba and nfsd daemons on unRAID via telnet by commands:

/etc/rc.d/rc.samba stop

/etc/rc.d/rc.nfsd stop

No luck  :(

I hope that my experiences will help fix the "entire volume restoring" trouble.

Excuse me for my english.

Were you running with the upgraded timecapsule package? (netatalk 2.2.2)

I'm a complete noob to unRAID, but I tried to run the install script and I get an error that looks like it can't download the needed files.

Resolving blueskyhorizon.com... failed: Name or service not known.

wget: unable to resolve host address `blueskyhorizon.com'

Failed to download libssp-1lk.tgz

ABORTING

<N http://www.blueskyhorizon.com/unraid/libssp-llk.tgz 

I'm guessing there is a problem with my configuration, but I don't know where to start looking to fix it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

I'm getting some bizarre error message saying someting about a database error so I decided to attempt to scrap my backup and start over again. I removed all my entries from my go script and attempted to re-run the install script, but it errors out. It's not very big and honestly I don't mind playing some since the only thing I'm really backing up is my iPhoto Library anyways.

root@Tower:/boot# tminstall.sh
This script will download and install a set of packages on your unRAID 4.7 system
that will enable 'Time Capsule' functionality for Time Machine backups.
Do you wish to continue? [y/n] y

Failed to install timecapsule-uR4.7-i486-5lk.tgz
root@Tower:/boot#

Is there a clean way to start over again?

I've removed the entries from my go script

Rebooted

Changed the TM folder to TM-old

I've reran the install script in the past and it just worked, but now I'm getting that error message which doesn't tell me much so I can't really do anything with it. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Since this dosent work at all for me I'm wanting to uninstall it so that I don't have to enter a password every time I access my server from a mac. Unfortunately I have no idea how to uninstall it so can someone point me in the right direction?

:confused: This add-on has no affect on whether you have to enter a password or not.  It does not add afp drives for your shares -- it only adds TM support.

So what do you mean by "doesn't work at all for me?"

You can remove it by editing your go script in /boot/config/go and removing the lines added by tminstall.sh (should be fairly obvious from the inserted comment lines.)

I'm not sure I can explain why but ever since I installed this every mac in the house asks me to provide a password for any samba share on the server, forcing me to click on guest, and ok. Before I installed this my Macs did not ask for the password.

As for it not working, my macs see the server as time-machine compatible and start backing up. After about 6 hours backing up 10 megs out of 10gigs it times out and says it cannot see the server. I have tried all solutions provided on this thread but still have no luck.

I'm not sure I can explain why but ever since I installed this every mac in the house asks me to provide a password for any samba share on the server, forcing me to click on guest, and ok. Before I installed this my Macs did not ask for the password.

As for it not working, my macs see the server as time-machine compatible and start backing up. After about 6 hours backing up 10 megs out of 10gigs it times out and says it cannot see the server. I have tried all solutions provided on this thread but still have no luck.

My Macs have always asked for user/password when mounting a samba share off my unRAID, so I am not sure how this customization affected that.

Is your backup location on a user share or a disk mount point (/mnt/disk#)?  I've never tested the user share and I'm becoming skeptical of it actually working.

• 4 weeks later...

Is your backup location on a user share or a disk mount point (/mnt/disk#)?  I've never tested the user share and I'm becoming skeptical of it actually working.

I'm not the O/P but I can say I've been using it with a user share and it SEEMS to work, but all of a sudden I got an error saying that a disk had been changed and asking if it should use this "new disk" for TM from now on (paraphrasing since I dont have it right in front of me..

Is anyone else having trouble w/ TM with user shares, or better yet - Does anyone have an example of it working, and definitely crossing disk boundaries?  I'd LOVE for this to be my permanent solution!

Thanks to all for all your hard work!

-Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I just started getting this message today.

Time Machine could not complete the backup

The Backup disk image /Volumes/Time Capsule/Steve.sparsebundle could not be accessed (error 30)

My share is connectable and I made sure the files are in fact there. I rebooted both my Mac and my unRAID machine with the same results.