unRAID 4.7 Time Machine support for Mountain Lion/Lion/Snow Leopard/Leopard

Will this work with 5.0-rc5 or should I downgrade to 4.7?

Or maybe this is built in to 5.0-rc5 now and I don't need it?

The reason I am asking is because when I set up a user share and choose "time machine" under the AFP protocol and then turn off the other CIFS sharing, NFS, etc. and then tell time machine to use that volume, it will start backing up for a few minutes and then my Mac crashes.  :-\

You need to start a thread in the unRAID OS 5.0-rc forum.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for taking the time to put this together. As a new Mac owner myself but long time unRAID user, I'm happy to see that unRAID can handle this fairly easily.

That said, I am having an issue. Running the tminstall.sh script without rebooting works perfectly. The unRAID disk shows as a backup disk in Time Machine and I'm able to successfully backup. However, when I reboot unRAID, the disk no longer shows as available. The only way to get this working again is to clear out the GO file and run the tminstall.sh script again.

Any ideas on what I'm going wrong? I'm running unRAID 4.7 with no other ad . dons installed

Post your syslog and your go script.

Go script and syslog are attached. Than you in advance.

go.txt

syslog-2012-09-18.txt

Ah, I see the problem... and I'll need to fix tminstall.sh

The installpkg lines have the wrong paths.

Remove the /n/ or /l/ parts so that the path is just /boot/packages:

installpkg /boot/packages/libssp-1lk.tgz
installpkg /boot/packages/libgpg-error-1.6-i486-3.tgz
installpkg /boot/packages/libgcrypt-1.4.0-i486-2.tgz
installpkg /boot/packages/libcap-2.14-i486-1.tgz
installpkg /boot/packages/timecapsule-uR4.7-i486-6lk.tgz

So everything went as described installing, but I get nothing in the Time Machine list, no "Time Capsule".  How should I be connecting to the unRAID server on the Mac?  Do I use Go/Connect to Server.  Reboot of the unRAID server didn't help.  No errors in the logs.  Bit of a Mac noob here so any ideas?  I'm clearly missing something.

Post your syslog and output of 'ps aux'

Log files attached.  Thanks!

syslog-2012-09-18.txt

ps_aux.txt

Will this work with 5.0-rc5 or should I downgrade to 4.7?

Or maybe this is built in to 5.0-rc5 now and I don't need it?

The reason I am asking is because when I set up a user share and choose "time machine" under the AFP protocol and then turn off the other CIFS sharing, NFS, etc. and then tell time machine to use that volume, it will start backing up for a few minutes and then my Mac crashes.  :-\

Thanks much.  I will follow up with them.

You need to start a thread in the unRAID OS 5.0-rc forum.

• 1 month later...

[sOLVED]

I have been waiting for this TM solution for a while, fantastic!

I have tried the spardebundle build with failed backup attempts and just did not have time to work with it.

I am using 4.7 and have been for over a year and my UnRaid has been running perfectly with some user hiccups.

I also have an imac using SL and remain on the fence about Lion.

A couple of issues:

When downloading the attached zips in the beginning of this thread, the tminstall024 unzips as the tmupgrade. I was able to find the unraid page at bluehorizon.com to download all of the files I needed since my unraid box would not go out to get them.

Thanks for the file page elkay14, not to mention all the other hard work achieved on the Mac TM issues.

My main issue is that when running the script on the unraid box via mac telnet, I am stuck at entering the path for backing up data on the unraid server as the script asks. I am putting in every known path and created new shares but still get a returned message of "invalid directory".

Using my iMac, I am connected to the unraid server using other shares and can move data back and forth when I need to read or write files.

What I do not understand, as well, is that I can't seem to connect to any shares via telnet. Though, I can telnet into the unraid server. I have shares enabled.

What am I missing? What command will show me network shares through telnet? net share shows me local shares.

EDIT:

I did successfully enter into a network share  "/Volumes/TM" via telnet but this path does not work in the TMinstall script (I tried "//" too)

RE: EDIT;

Just after I wrote my edit above I realized I was totally in the wrong aspect of things. I was on my mac doing a telnet session to my unraid server running the TMinstall script, for whatever reason I thought I had to mount my "/Volumes/TM" directory through the network, I guess because I was on my iMac remotely I got confused. But in fact, I need to mount the "/Volumes/TM" directory locally as simply "/mnt/disk1/TM" through my unraid server since that is where the damn directory lives. I was trying to mount a local directory through a network...well that's embarrassing.

Sorry, hope I did not waste anyone's time...everyone just carry on as usual.

All the best,

Camel

• 2 weeks later...

I just did a fresh install of this but it's not working properly. I can see the disk in Time Machine on my Mac, and once I select it I can enter my login details. But after entering my login details I get the following Error:

There a problem connection to the server "NAS.local".

The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported. Please contact your system administrator to resolve the problem.

I'm running Mountain Lion 10.8.2.

Any ideas?

I just did a fresh install of this but it's not working properly. I can see the disk in Time Machine on my Mac, and once I select it I can enter my login details. But after entering my login details I get the following Error:

The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported. Please contact your system administrator to resolve the problem.

Any ideas?

Figured it out... I had to enable guest access.

Is there any way to disable that for better security and protecting my data?

Any ideas?

Figured it out... I had to enable guest access.

Is there any way to disable that for better security and protecting my data?

Did you actually have users other than root or guest (nobody) created?

• 3 months later...

I've tried using the 0.2.6 version of the script but the install packages appear to have been removed from both download sites.  I updated the slackware mirror site (the easynews mirror no longer responds) and have downloaded those packages.  The timecapsule package appears to have been removed from the blueskyhorizon site.

Is there an alternative method of downloading the timecapsule package?

Is anyone else having trouble getting unRAID to put disks to sleep when using this add-on? When my Mac is turned on, all 15 of my disks in unRAID turn on and stay on. Once my Mac goes to sleep the disks in unRAID go to sleep as well. If I disable this add-on, all my disks in unRAID stay asleep when my Mac is on.

I installed this onto disk1 in unRAID, so I'm not sure why it's starting up all the other disks.