[SOLVED] External EMC KTN-STL3 disks not showing up (Diags attached)

SOLVED - I was dumb and didn't push the drives all the way into their slots. They don't sit flush with the front of the cage - they're in about .25".

Hi all,

I had a bunch of old drives that I pulled to put 14TB drives in my box, and I figured I might as well try to put them to use. So I picked up:

An EMC KTN-STL3

This card

These caddies

(MoBo manual for reference)

I threw my disks (shucked from EasyStores) into the caddies, put them in the EMC, put the LSI in my unRaid box in PCI_E6, and then connected them via this cable. The box turned on, but when I booted, nothing showed up. I looked in System Devices, and I didn't see the new card. I knew the PCI slot works because I had a GPU in there until I pulled it to make room (and switching my MSI to not look for it on boot).

So I swapped the LSI I had in the PCI_E4 slot down to PCI_E6 and put the new card in PCI_E4. It showed up in my System Devices now, but it didn't show anything attached to it.

I tried moving cables around into different slots in the EMC, but no dice. I had a second cable because Amazon was playing games with shipping, and swapping that out didn't help, either.

Any ideas here on how to get the disks to show? They were all unRaid disks in their most recent lives.

cybertron-diagnostics-20240420-2259.zip

Edited by Idaho121

The enclosure is being detected by the HBA:

[12:0:0:0]   enclosu EMC      ESES Enclosure   0001  -          /dev/sg20
  state=running queue_depth=254 scsi_level=7 type=13 device_blocked=0 timeout=30
  dir: /sys/bus/scsi/devices/12:0:0:0  [/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.2/0000:28:00.0/host12/port-12:0/expander-12:0/port-12:0:0/end_device-12:0:0/target12:0:0/12:0:0:0]

This would point to a problem with the enclosure or how the devices are connected there, difficult for me to help more since I'm not familiar with those enclosures.

That rules one thing out, thank you!

Poking around, a lot of people who had similar problems fixed them by changing PCI settings in their BIOS. 

See here and here, among others.

Before I go messing around in there, does anyone have any sense as to what settings I might try? I'll start with the ones from the thread - do either seem like more likely culprits?

(Also, just a side question - if I pull the two cards that have my internal HDs on them and boot, but I don't start the array, will that bork my build? With the external card and GPU, I only have 1 slot left over, and so I'd be juggling unless I just pull them until I get this working.)

18 hours ago, Idaho121 said:

Poking around, a lot of people who had similar problems fixed them by changing PCI settings in their BIOS. 

I don't think that will make any difference, the HBA is working fine, also no issues with the HBA to enclosure connection, so I think the problem can only be the enclosure, or how the disks are connected there, i.e., if it needs some specific config.

• Idaho121 changed the title to [SOLVED] External EMC KTN-STL3 disks not showing up (Diags attached)