[Solved] Unraid 4.7 Samba Problem?

Hello,

I have searched the web and these forums for an answer, but to no avail. I currently have unraid 4.7 installed on my server. However, recently I have been unable to access the samba shares on the unraid server from my 2 windows 7 computers as well as my android tablet. I can login to the tower via the web GUI and browse the folder structures and view files just fine through it, but cannot access anything through windows file explorer on my Windows 7 PCs.

I would post the syslog, but there is nothing in it. Any help would be much appreciated, as the point of the server was to serve movies and other large files to the rest of my network.

Thanks.

Hello,

I have searched the web and these forums for an answer, but to no avail. I currently have unraid 4.7 installed on my server. However, recently I have been unable to access the samba shares on the unraid server from my 2 windows 7 computers as well as my android tablet. I can login to the tower via the web GUI and browse the folder structures and view files just fine through it, but cannot access anything through windows file explorer on my Windows 7 PCs.

I would post the syslog, but there is nothing in it. Any help would be much appreciated, as the point of the server was to serve movies and other large files to the rest of my network.

Thanks.

Have you setup a workgroup on your windows 7 PC? if so, make sure that you enter that in the Identification section of the settings page. I do not know how to make it work with the android tablet.

Sorry, I just realized I left out vital information. Wrote that first post when I was tired/frustrated.

Yes, I can see it in network places, sometimes. The Unraid server is added to my network group. I can navigate to the folders (again, sometimes) but anytime I click on any file in the folders, after the "loading" circle spins for several minutes, I get a "cannot connect to Tower" error.

I can see and access the contents through the web GUI but cannot due anything through windows explorer. On the tablet, I used a file explorer, and same thing. Can initially see the folders but then it freezes and cannot reconnect.

After posting last night, I also tried to access the shares through a Ubuntu VM on one of the laptops. Same problem.

It seems like it's a setting problem, but I've verified that read/write access is set up for all shares.

Discs spin up, but nothing happens. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Running Unraid Basic 4.7 with AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7GHz Socket AM3 45W Single-Core Processor, and 2GB of RAM. Currently I have on 1TB drive and 500GB drive mounted with another 1TB drive for parity.

I re-installed Unraid to see if that solved the problem, but to no avail. So now my parity drive is rebuilding... But still having hangup problems when accessing the shares.

Syslog is attached.

syslog-2011-12-06.txt

You're likely having a network issue.

You should try disabling everything but the stock install. Comment out all lines but these in the go file.

#!/bin/bash

# Start the management Utiity

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

Then, reboot and see if it works. If it does not work then I would start investigating your network.

Peter

Like I said, I already tried a clean install of Unraid and have the same issue. I did comment out the one line in my go file, as suggested, (unmenu) but still not able to play or view files. I can still see directories after the initial boot, but then it hangs and times out and windows tells me the network path is invalid.

I don't know where to start with my network. Everything else works fine. I can access the internet and shared files on other computers. I haven't changed any settings. I've rebooted my router and every device connected, I've switched out cables...

I don't understand why I can access it through unmenu's web GUI and not through Samba.

I don't know how long it worked, honestly because i haven't used it in awhile. However, the only way I've used it was to copy files to the server. So I tried that again and I can still copy to my unraid server.... but not play/view/access any files on the server via samba.

I just took out and checked me hard drives on my laptop and they seem fine. I've switched out the cables and router and still have the same problem. I'm beginning to think it is my NIC. This is my motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130559 any reason this could be causing the problem?