Noob Question Auostarting Apps At Boot

batt01

I a awaiting parts to build my first Unraid server. In the meantime, I am getting to know it on a spare pc.

My plan is to move, my Sickbeard and other apps to the new box. Is it normal practice not to have apps start

at boot? I installed Sickbeard, and Sabnzbd on my test box, and I have seen a post or two that explains, that you cant

stop the array while apps or running. In other word, what should I do, autostart or not?

BTW this is an excellent forum.

I'm much more comfortable with Windows than ramfs based Linux, so in my server, I installed VBox on it and then I created a Windows XP VM running on top of VBox.

The VM itself is saved in an old spare 2.5" HDD I put outside of the unRAID array (so I don't have to stop the VM when I want to stop the array)

Then I put Sabnzbd and Sickbeard on the Windows VM

I a awaiting parts to build my first Unraid server. In the meantime, I am getting to know it on a spare pc.

My plan is to move, my Sickbeard and other apps to the new box. Is it normal practice not to have apps start

at boot? I installed Sickbeard, and Sabnzbd on my test box, and I have seen a post or two that explains, that you cant

stop the array while apps or running. In other word, what should I do, autostart or not?

BTW this is an excellent forum.

You cannot start them until AFTER the array is started, you  must STOP them before the array can be stopped.

In older releases of unRAID, there is no built in way to do this.  In the most current of beta5.0 releases, there is an event system that will allow this level of control, but it is so new, and still evolving, and mostly undocumented, that most programs are not yet using it.

Personally, I use a script I wrote long ago to start and stop add-on programs.  It is a bit of a kludge, but it has worked for me for a very long time.  It purposely makes a disk busy and then monitors the syslog for messages when a shutdown is attempted.  If it sees them, it performs the cleanup tasks and then lets the shutdown continue as normal.

See this thread...

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5686.0

Joe L.

Thanks for the replies. I got my server built and running. I found a simple solution. I used the Massive Install Script, which takes care of the autostarting. If I need to stop the array, I go into setting and toggle the autostart array to off, then reboot. This brings about another question. Is there a way to reboot from the GUI? Its a simple matter to telnet in and reboot. But it would be nice to be able to do so from the web gui.

• 2 weeks later...