Whats the linux equivlent to rdp?

Posted (edited)

I have a linux distro running as a vm on unraid. I'm using arch as my daily driver. I currently use RDP to connect to my windows pc with Remmina. Instead of logging into unraid  then launching the vm in the browser is there an equivalent I can do with Remmina? Remmina has a few types of vnc plugins but I wasn't able to get it to connect. I wasn't sure if you could do a rdp style connection from linux to linux?.

Edited by blackbox
  • blackbox changed the title to Whats the linux equivlent to rdp?
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

xrdp is an rdp server for linux.

Otherwise there's always vnc, but if you don't want to involve the host you have to install a vnc server within the VM yourself.

AHH ok. I was thinking that because you connect to the vm with vnc from unraid directly that it would have already have the ability.

What did you mean by "if you dont want to invlove the host"?

Edited by blackbox

With out knowing the VM distro it would be hard to recommend something to you.
VM a debain / unix(freebsd)/ Arch distro?

Usually to do and access a rdp session to linux is to get terminal access. so ssh.

Then there are the mains to use Microsoft RDP application, you would run a xrdp service and connect arch with Remmina.

Then there are things like parsec for Linux I think it's called moon light / rain away.

Advance TTY manipulation.
If you know what you're doing you can tunnel via ssh and run startx via port with another program like X410 in wsl windows to get a desktop screen.

I would recommend For Arch to connect is to use Remmina and run a xrdp server on linux vm and/or to open ssh server for sftp/ssh.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/xrdp

you can use other GUIs by editing the xsession conf under the liux home directory.
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-enable-remote-desktop-protocol-using-xrdp-on-ubuntu-22-04

• Like 1