Failing USB, I believe. How can I confirm the issue?

I believe my USB, which I got based on test for the most reliable USB, is failing. I had to upgrade it maybe a year ago due to the one I had in there for 10yrs only being 1GB and it not having enough room to update the OS anymore.

Today the server crashed, highly irregular, and upon reboot it said "This can not be fixed automatically", then i saw references to sda1, which the USB is sda. Then saw something regarding bits and disabling something. I did have to attempt boot a couple times. The second time the USB boot option did not show up at all on the boot menu. It finally booted, complaining of bad bits (or something along those lines). Once it booted I got a fresh backup of the USB.

It has been a couple hours, but I don't know what else it could be. I highly doubt it is actually the USB port.

I'll probably head to walmart (closest place to get a usb stick).

This is probably my best/quickest option right now:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SanDisk-64GB-Cruzer-Glide-USB-2-0-Flash-Drive-2-Pack-SDCZ60-064G-AW46TW/331396621

Posted (edited)

I thought about this as well, but not sure there are any others internally on the server. I'll take a look.

Are there any plans at all to be able to use something other than a USB drive? They are purely made like s*** these days. My last USB was still good after running unraid for 10yrs, but just become too small, 1GB, to upgrade.

Edited by live4soccer7

I  just want to confirm, if that's ok. If I go ahead and create a new USB drive with a fresh image to make sure there aren't any bad bits (at least best chance). I would just copy over the config folder from my backup to the newly created flash drive, correct? 

I think this method may be better than creating the new usb drive fully from the backup.zip file.

Well..... I highly doubt it is the USB unless a file in the config folder is corrupt. I did a fresh install on a new usb drive that was confirmed genuine by the manufacturer and the error on boot is the same. I then tried booting from a different USB slot with the original usb drive and the error persists. This is either something in the config folder that's messed up somehow. I am sorting through the video of the boot to see if I can find what's right above this. It paused here for a few seconds and I had time to snap a quick photo. Any ideas at all?

The first photo is the very last frame before the "errors" in the second photo fly by.

image.thumb.png.763989b8f2404b1b70378fc3b382776c.png

PXL_20240516_031925157_MP.thumb.jpg.fb1667ab6777aa87d12aab5ac64145e3.jpg

Edited by live4soccer7