Unraid - Terrible VM GPU Performance

Posted (edited)

Hello Team,

Here is my situation.

Latest unraid version GPU Passthrough - RTX 3070.

I9 7900x - 128gb memory.

GFX Passthru working fine no errors in windows.  Audio passthru (multifunction device) complete as per spaceinvader one's insturctions.

Games work but slow.  CS2 prob 80FPS at 1080p.

Baremetal 250-300 FPS.

I have tried pinning cores and im not using core 0/10 (first core + HT) as I leave this for unraid.

Have gone through so many settings on this forum but nothing has given be even 50% baremental performance.  Tried 1440x and Q machine types.

Tried more memory and less memory and more CPU and less CPU.

Edited by Stixbnr32
  • 3 months later...

Hey i'm on the same cpu, isolated 8 cores for my vm with 64gb of ram and a 3070 ti, can't seem to get above 50% gpu utilisation, while cpu is chilling at 20-35%.
I am able to get 100% gpu usage on a few games, so wanted to check in and see if you figured something out?

No not really I actually moved this unraid box into my rack and now just run my security system with AI detection and a few other containers.

I do use a i7 13700 with an Radeon RX7900xt with a 1440p monitor and get 90% bare metal performance in CS2.  So am now pretty happy.

But yeh couldnt really figure out why the older intel and RTX GPU was performing so bad in unraid.  

Wow that's one overpowered surveillance box ahaha.
So basically all your gpu performance stabilized once you switched to an intel cpu?
I've heard a few threads talk about amd VM performance issues, but they have mainly been on amd gpus so it's all really confusing to me since i'm not experiencing issues with my cpu performance but rather my Nvidia card, which i would expect to be better supported for virtualisation than AMD tbh.

I'm shocked y'all are even able to get GPU passthrough working worth a hoot to use it. 

No VM I've passed my 3070Ti through on was worth a F. They all crash in some kind of way or the GPU will be there one boot but not the next. 

Totally unusable. 

On 9/12/2024 at 6:03 PM, m411b said:

I'm shocked y'all are even able to get GPU passthrough working worth a hoot to use it. 

No VM I've passed my 3070Ti through on was worth a F. They all crash in some kind of way or the GPU will be there one boot but not the next. 

Totally unusable. 

It's funny you say this cause i think i've found the root of my issues.
I hadn't gone and bound my gpu and soundcard to vfio at boot, which apparently caused my vm to not get full access to my gpu's resources...
It's been running great for about a week now and i haven't had one game act weird on me, where i wasn't able to get full gpu utilisation!

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, jztreso said:

I hadn't gone and bound my gpu and soundcard to vfio at boot, which apparently caused my vm to not get full access to my gpu's resources...
It's been running great for about a week now and i haven't had one game act weird on me, where i wasn't able to get full gpu utilisation!

I'll have to give this a shot and see if it changes anything for me.

On 9/16/2024 at 9:28 AM, jztreso said:

This worked for me to get the GPU passed through and keep it there. However, performance is horrible. The mouse hardly moves while in game and the system just isn't very responsive at all. I tried RDP and the VNC. Same results. Still troubleshooting.