Disk Temperature Notification with Coolink SWiF2-801?

rob

Hi, I have a Norco SS-500 with the fan upgrade (Coolink SWiF2-801) and I'm experiencing drives that reach 43C while doing a parity check or heavy downloading to the array.  I have 5 drives in the Norco but I never received the disk temperature warnings with the old stock fan. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hi, I have a Norco SS-500 with the fan upgrade (Coolink SWiF2-801) and I'm experiencing drives that reach 43C while doing a parity check or heavy downloading to the array.  I have 5 drives in the Norco but I never received the disk temperature warnings with the old stock fan. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Quieter  = different design blades = less air flow when pressurizing the plenum feeding air across the disks = higher temperatures?

Quieter  = different design blades = less air flow when pressurizing the plenum feeding air across the disks = higher temperatures?

Thanks Joe.  I just posted this because I didn't see anyone else complain about high drive temps after the fan upgrade.  Is 43C acceptable for a drive to reach?  I verified the fan is spinning, thus has power.  I'm not sure what else the issue could be besides the fact that the fan is not up to the job of keeping 5 drives cool.

Anyone else have this upgrade and care to comment?

Thanks!

I consider 43 C during a parity check to be acceptable, especially for a 7200 RPM drive.  You also didn't mention your ambient temperature.  As cpny said, the best you can expect is to be 2-3 C above ambient in a warm environment, but 10-15 C above ambient in a very cold environment is normal.

If you have a single drive that is reaching 43 C while all the other drives are significantly cooler (in the mid 30s or lower), then this could indicate a problem with the drive or with airflow in that particular drive bay.  Clean, neat, and organized cabling will help keep your airflow healthy.  Regular dust removal is also very important (I do it about twice per year).

I consider 43 C during a parity check to be acceptable, especially for a 7200 RPM drive.  You also didn't mention your ambient temperature.  As cpny said, the best you can expect is to be 2-3 C above ambient in a warm environment, but 10-15 C above ambient in a very cold environment is normal.

If you have a single drive that is reaching 43 C while all the other drives are significantly cooler (in the mid 30s or lower), then this could indicate a problem with the drive or with airflow in that particular drive bay.  Clean, neat, and organized cabling will help keep your airflow healthy.  Regular dust removal is also very important (I do it about twice per year).

I don't think I have any 7200 rpm drives, but I do have an older 500gb drive for the cache drive.  See below for a copy of one of the notifications.  Does this look OK?

When you clean out the dust, do you need to remove all the drives?  I recently cleaned out some dust, but I didn't remove the drives...

Subject:unRaid Disk Temperature Notification
Status update for unRAID  Tower
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Status: WARNING disk /dev/disk/by-id/wwn-0x50014ee655869152 temperature is 45C
WARNING disk /dev/disk/by-id/wwn-0x5000cca369c374a7 temperature is 43C
WARNING disk /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD20EARS-00_WD-WMAZ20418971 temperature is 45C
WARNING disk /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_Hitachi_HDS5C30_ML0221F307LNJD temperature is 43C
WARNING disk /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD20EARS-00MVWB0_WD-WMAZ20418971 temperature is 45C
WARNING disk /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HDS5C3020ALA632_ML0221F307LNJD temperature is 43C