[Solved] Quick question: Linux command for deleting all files of certain type

joshpond

If you just want to delete jpg files in the current directory, all you need to do is

rm *.jpg

The -r option tells the rm command to recurse down through all sub-directories below your current directory and delete the jpg files in those directories as well, so don't use it if you only want to delete files in your current directory.

A client of mine once ran "rm -r *" in the root directory.  They didn't realize until I told that they had deleted _all_ files on their system. It's a very dangerous command. (Fortunately it was only a test system and they had a backup.)

It would be better with the find command.

Read up on find.

Try something like

find '/mnt/user/Media/TV Shows' -type f -name '*.jpg' -ls

This will list all your files that match the specs.

If it's what you want you can do

find '/mnt/user/Media/TV Shows'-type f -name '*.jpg' -ls -exec /bin/rm -vi {} \;

or you could take away the -vi and just do -v

The quotes are necessary, and so is the semicolon.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

This is the line I use to keep all them pesky windows thumbs out of my unraid :P

find /mnt/disk1/Movies/* -type f -name "Thumbs.db" -exec rm {} \;

although looking at Weebos would this one be better?

find '/mnt/disk1/Movies/' -type f -name 'Thumbs.db' -ls -exec /bin/rm -vi {} \; 

Just wondering is there a forum here on useful scripts for unraid users? I was looking for one yesterday and couldn't find anything. I got some scripts that im sure some people would find useful, like creating a log of everything copied to your drives (from cache) so it would be like tv added Jan 5th .... etc. I also got a script to update my external drive media added in the last x amout of days etc. A script to install and ready addons like snap etc when I reboot. Just thought it would be good to share and people could improve them/post their own etc