NFS / SMB permissions issue

I've got a permissions error that I don't know how to sort out - I'd appreciate some assistance.  Here are facts:

I have a 4.7 (basic) server running, with a user share exported RW via NFS

exportfs
/mnt/user/data  <ubuntu IP>

I have a ubuntu 8.04 server mounting that NFS share to a mount point that used to contain the data - now it's moved to the unraid.

mount
beast:/mnt/user/data on /mnt/data type nfs (rw,addr=<unraid IP>)

Ubuntu has a samba share configured for as subfolder in that path:

[data]
path = /mnt/data/Data
valid users = user1 user2
available = yes
browsable = yes
public = yes
writable = yes

From my windows client, authenticating to the ubuntu server as user1, I'm unable to delete new files on the samba share.  Old existing data that was copied to the unraid is ok because it maintained the user/group ownership, but any new files (even a copy/paste of existing data) that are created are getting this:

-rwxr--r-- 1 root root  13M 2009-08-19

For some reason that I can't comprehend, but is probably very basic, my authenticated user isn't getting the ownership in this convoluted setup.  I'm working on moving to a plus license, which would give me user management and allow me to migrate all my connections to the unraid directly, but I haven't gotten that far yet.  I think that would help, but is there any workaround in the mean time?  I appreciate any tips...

• 1 month later...