Make my unRaid server more environmentally friendly

My unraid server is using 115watts when all the 6 drives are powered down.  I'm assuming this is powering the mobo/cpu/fans.

Is there any way to reduce this, other than using suspend or hibernate?

Is there any way to switch off fans (specifically the ones cooling my hd's) when the drives power down?

The easiest way to reduce power consumption is to use a more efficient power supply.  One rated at 85% efficiency  will probably get you down under 100 watts compared to one only 65% efficient.

The bulk of power is used by your CPU.  A slower CPU, or more power efficient CPU will do far more than shutting down a few fans.  They only draw a few watts each.

Would underclocking the CPU help?  How much does unRaid use the CPU?

I'll bet that unRaid is limited more by PCI bus throughput than CPU cycles.  Since overclocking generates LOTS of heat, underclocking should generate less heat, and draw less power.

Here are the first few lines of "top" showing unRaid statistics while serving up one DVD ISO image to one of my media players:

top - 08:41:24 up 12 days, 16:27,  1 user,  load average: 0.10, 0.10, 0.04
Tasks:  52 total,   3 running,  49 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s):  0.7%us,  1.3%sy,  0.0%ni, 96.7%id,  0.0%wa,  0.0%hi,  1.3%si,  0.0%st
Mem:    514716k total,   508604k used,     6112k free,    33200k buffers
Swap:        0k total,        0k used,        0k free,   407128k cached

It looks like the CPU is 96% idle...

Now, I'll start a manual parity check at the same time and see how busy it gets...

top - 08:46:35 up 12 days, 16:32,  1 user,  load average: 1.08, 0.38, 0.13
Cpu(s):  0.7%us, 17.7%sy,  0.0%ni, 72.0%id,  2.3%wa,  6.0%hi,  1.3%si,  0.0%st
Mem:    514716k total,   508264k used,     6452k free,    20196k buffers
Swap:        0k total,        0k used,        0k free,   431528k cached

With a parity check running AND serving up a DVD ISO image I am now 72% idle.

I started up a second DVD ISO playing, while still checking parity.  Looks like I am now somewhere near 68% idle.

top - 09:05:32 up 12 days, 16:51,  1 user,  load average: 1.89, 2.13, 1.55
Cpu(s):  2.0%us, 21.3%sy,  0.0%ni, 68.3%id,  4.0%wa,  3.0%hi,  1.3%si,  0.0%st
Mem:    514716k total,   508152k used,     6564k free,    41876k buffers
Swap:        0k total,        0k used,        0k free,   395952k cached

canceling the parity check, while still playing the two DVD ISO images, now I'm at 97% idle.

top - 09:08:20 up 12 days, 16:54,  1 user,  load average: 1.02, 1.71, 1.49
Tasks:  52 total,   2 running,  50 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s):  0.7%us,  1.0%sy,  0.0%ni, 97.0%id,  0.0%wa,  0.0%hi,  1.3%si,  0.0%st
Mem:    514716k total,   508840k used,     5876k free,    24920k buffers
Swap:        0k total,        0k used,        0k free,   426844k cached

I'll let you decide how much CPU we need.  I'm using the following on the original Intel MB supplied by lime-technology.

root@Tower:/proc# cat cpuinfo

processor      : 0

vendor_id      : GenuineIntel

cpu family      : 15

model          : 4

model name      : Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.26GHz

stepping        : 1

cpu MHz        : 2261.157

cache size      : 256 KB

Joe L.

The idle power consumption was one of my major concerns and reasons for testing out the mobile processors.

My mini unRaid has 4 drives and a 2.33mhz duo core 2 mobile.

It pulls approx 40 watts on idle. It never goes above 80 watts at full speed.

I'm building a larger array and was considering  amobile processor, but then realized I would need a large assortment of cards to handle all the SATA ports I want to put on it.

At this time now I'm considering a 2GHZ CONROE-L processor which is rated at 35 Watts. (close to the mobile processors).

I'm wondering if CPU speed would help in decreasing power consumption on any of the processors.

I now have 4 SATA drives on the mobo controller, 2 PATA drives on the mobo, and 3 PATA drives on a Promise TX133.

Spundown and undervolted, the total system pulls under 50 Watts.

See my thread at  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=1167.0

Mobo is Biostar TA690G AM2 and a BE-2400 ... When tuned right, idle power consumption on this mobo/CPU combination can be well under 20 Watts.  Particularly now that the Realtek driver issue is fixed in unRAID 4.3 beta

Quote from a website.

> The Gigabyte DES works with Intel EIST to save even more power by shutting down unneeded VRM phases when the CPU is in low-power mode, and might include a more aggressive voltage-lowering ramp.

They said the power saving was minimal and it does require some software on the windows workstation.

Quote from a website.

> The Gigabyte DES works with Intel EIST to save even more power by shutting down unneeded VRM phases when the CPU is in low-power mode, and might include a more aggressive voltage-lowering ramp.

They said the power saving was minimal and it does require some software on the windows workstation.

found this, these guys confirmed it working on linux

Gigabyte also produces software to manipulate the power saving options and monitoring the power consumption. Unfortunately, this software is closed-source and is only available for Microsoft Windows users. However, this is a hybrid software-hardware solution so while Linux users aren't able to use this software, DES is still functioning.

unfortunately the actual saving isnt that much

There is a difference between dynamic underclock/undervolt, and static.

Dynamic (change it on the fly when needed) requires kernel support (CPUFreq) under Linux and special drivers under Windows.  I have it enabled in my kernel and it woks fine on the TA690G AM2 and a BE-2400.

Static is, however, a better way to go with unRAID, as you can get lower Vcore and lower frequencies.  I save 20 Watts with a lower static Vcore of 0.80 volts.

- Get an Antec Earthwatts or other PSU with active power factor correction

- use WD Green 5400 RPM drives

- use a low-power CPU and undervolt it.  AMD chips are typically much better in this area than Intel.

- pick a mobo that allows aggressive undervolting, and has low power draw by the Northbridge (hint, if they have a fan on the NB, it is wasting power) and built-in VGA. The TA690G AM2 meets these criteria.

dvd.collector,

You haven't said what CPU you are using. I was using a Pentium D805 (90 watt) and was at about 115 watts at idle, I switched to a core 2 duo (65 watt) and I am down to about 85 watts at idle with a 700 watt 80 plus certified Seasonic power supply, a cheap pci video card, 3 5 in 3 sata backplanes, and a promise 4 port sata card. Several people have mentioned that the celeron single core (35 watts) is also a great choice.

Gary T.

Thanks for all the replies, seems I have a lot to look at now  :)

Firstly the cpu is a P4 (socket 478) 2.8ghz.  Can you still get socket 478 cpu's nowadays?  I think I may be stuck with this setup unless I decide to buy a new mobo too.  As I've just spent £££ on the parts for a HTPC, I think that may have to wait for a bit!

I might try underclocking it and lowering the vCore though, see if that helps, as well as removing the video card.

Also I'll look at the power supply.  I have a feeling it's a generic 430w one, so perhaps buying a newer 80+ one will help.  Although anything costing £££ will have to wait for a bit...  :-X

My not so power efficient unRAID draws around 70W spin down, 120 up.

I have an Athlon 2500+ (68.3W TDP, underclocked it gives me something like 3-5 W less at the minimum 650MHz – from 1.8GHz –, not really worth it).

I have a PCI SATA card and a PCI Gigabit card (my mobo doesn't do Gigabit and has only 2 SATA).

I run headless (the vga card i use for debug use something like 5-8W)

My drives (3 SATA 80GB, 1 PATA 80GB and 1 PATA 120GB) are not that power efficient either since they are rather old by today standard.

My power supply is good (Antec) but predate the 80+ effort.

I unplugged my 120mm fan as the case is not warm at the moment (save me 5W)

I think that if one would build a new box with those WD GP disks, an all integrated MOBO with at least 4 SATA (no vga, run headless, use a cheap pci/agp one when needed), a rather efficient processor and power supply, the system would do much better for a quite reasonable price.

Can you still get socket 478 cpu's nowadays?

eBay is the way to go!

When 478 cpu's became hard to get, I was scoring great prices on them via eBay.

In fact I've been getting 2.33ghz core duo's for 149 or so.

I just scored a pair of LV XEON 2.5ghz (woodcrest) for great price too.

If I had a 2.8ghz presscot, I would probaby end up with a 2.4ghz P4C with the 800MHZ bus.

The 2.8GHZ P4's have a TDP of 90W or so.

The 2.4GHZ P4C with Hyperthreading run pretty cool and are of the Northwood core.

They have a TDP of 66Watts (as a core 2 duo does).

Spec number Sl6WF on eBay.. they are pretty cheap now.

Another choice is a 2GHZ celeron, they have a TDP of 52W. but I would say go for the SL6WF.

> Also I'll look at the power supply.  I have a feeling it's a generic 430w one, so perhaps buying a newer 80+ one will help.

This will save you money, but it relates to pennies a day. However pennies add up.

Remember anything giving off copious amounts of heat is wasting energy.

My old antec 550 was giving out tons of heat in my computer room.

I switched to a Seasonic S12 and the heat dropped tremendously and so did power utilization.

After the switch, My dual 3.2ghz xeons were pulling 160-180 watts on idle (2 10,000 rpm drives, 2 7200 rpm drives, 2 gb registered ram).

I think it was about 260-300 watts before hand. I cannot remember.

A good power supply is worth it's weight in gold over time.

Less power pulled, less heat, less waste on trying to cool a home combating the heat.

I have an Athlon 2500+ (68.3W TDP, underclocked it gives me something like 3-5 W less at the minimum 650MHz – from 1.8GHz –, not really worth it).

Underclocking alone does not save much.  UnderVOLTING does.  But you have to underclock in order to undervolt.