Red Ball On Drive Unsure When It Happened

bing281

I just saw today that I have a red ball on a drive.  I am unsure when it happened.  I don't know if anything has been written to the array / the failed disk after it has happened. 

I have run through unmenu a smart report and the drive seems to be fine. 

Will I lose data running:

How do I re-enable the drive?

Okay, the cable was loose, or I think the failure was a fluke - how can I get unRAID to reuse this same disk that it thought had failed?

If you are sure that the drive is fine, and the SMART report confirms it, and you have not written to the drive since it was taken off-line, then use the Trust My Array procedure, to quickly recover your drive and the array to an all green condition. Remember, it was taken out of service when a "write" to it failed so using the "trust" procedure will effectively forget the data written while the drive was disabled. Unless you are certain you have not written to the disk a reconstruction is much better.

You can re-enable the hard drive and reconstruct it as follows:

Stop the array.

Go to the Devices page and un-assign the disk.

Go to the main page and start the array.

Stop the array again.

Go to the Devices page and re-assign the disk.

Go to the Main page - system should indicate there is a "new" drive to replace the disabled one. Check the confirmation box and click Start to start a parity-reconstruct of the disk.

Otherwise what else should I do? 

Thanks, Scott

Archived