New unMenu Package: MRTG... any interest?

Anyone interested in drive temp monitoring?  I've got a bit that queries S.M.A.R.T. to populate the charts.  They respect the privacy of drives that are sleeping. Add this line into your mrtg.cfg for each drive you want to monitor (change the blue bits). 

Target[sda.temp]: `smartctl -n standby -a /dev/sda | egrep "Temp|exit" | perl -pe '$_=substr($_,87,2);$_=0 if($_ eq "");$_="$_\n$_\n0\n0\n";'`

Title[sda.temp]: /dev/sda Temperature

PageTop[sda.temp]: <h1>/dev/sda Temperature (Celsius)</h1>

MaxBytes[sda.temp]: 60

AbsMax[sda.temp]: 100

Unscaled[sda.temp]: ymwd

ShortLegend[sda.temp]: C

YLegend[sda.temp]: Temperature ©

Legend1[sda.temp]: /dev/sda Temperature

LegendI[sda.temp]: sda Temp

LegendO[sda.temp]: sda Temp

Options[sda.temp]: integer, gauge, nopercent, growright, unknaszero

then run this to update the chart main page (blue is the package default, so if you changed it when you installed the package, change it here)

/usr/bin/indexmaker --output=/tmp/mrtg/index.html /boot/config/mrtg.cfg

then wait 10-15 minutes for charts to start showing up!  Here is a sample

sda.temp-day.png.196d9dfef5ebdfccd2006ca7c380ad0a.png

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How can I change the size of the graphs?

Hi, I checked the MRTG docs (http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/mrtg-reference.en.html) and it seems what you want is to put these lines near the top of your mrtg.cfg file:

XSize[_]: 600

YSize[_]: 200

By default, the charts are 100 by 400 pixels.  Unfortunately, there are some limitations:

"Note: XSize must be between 20 and 600; YSize must be larger than 20"

Folks, I updated the advanced mrtg.cfg file and the sample chart screenshot.  I removed the disk storage monitoring and replaced it with the disk temperature plots.  Plus I changed how the memory chart works.  Before it was accurate, but misleading in that it showed only memory that had never been used, Linux caches files and programs with memory that isn't currently needed and this didn't show up as "Free" in the older charts.  I changed the calculation of "Free" to show how much memory would be available to run programs with (which matches what most people consider "Free")

http://ruinedkingdoms.com/unRAID/mrtg_sample_index.png

http://ruinedkingdoms.com/unRAID/mrtg.cfg

works great

CPU usage already told me that my timer got changed on headphones with the upgrade ...  :)

probably gonna set the temp for all drives ...

just wondering how much the overhead will be of this thing running in the background ?

Glad it's helping you out :-) Overhead for MRTG and all the plots but temperature is negligible. 

Getting the drive temps via smartctl takes a few seconds per drive so if you've got a pile of drives, it could take a while.  I'm not sure if this is really overhead (using up mem/cpu) or just the time it takes for the drives to spit out data.  I checked top while manually getting SMART data, and it was negligible CPU (0.3% for only part of the time it took to get data) and Mem (less than 0.1% out of 4GB, didn't even show a value in top).  I think top was actually using more resources than smartctl :-)

I just started using SMART drive data myself, so maybe someone else knows more about that specifically.

As a sidenote, I'm switching my personal mrtg.cfg to use by-id device names for the hard drive temp code because Linux changing /dev/sdX for all the drives periodically is kind of annoying.  You look like you've got a bunch of drives, so to save your sanity, you might want to do the same :-)  It looks like this

Target[parity.temp]: `smartctl -n standby -A /dev/disk/by-id/wwn-0x5000cca369cfa7d9 | egrep "Temp|exit" | perl -pe '$_=substr($_,87,2);$_=

0 if($_ eq "");$_="$_\n$_\n0\n0\n";'`

Title[parity.temp]: parity Temperature

PageTop[parity.temp]: <h1>parity Temperature (Celsius)</h1>

MaxBytes[parity.temp]: 60

AbsMax[parity.temp]: 100

Unscaled[parity.temp]: ymwd

ShortLegend[parity.temp]: C

YLegend[parity.temp]: Temperature ©

Legend1[parity.temp]: parity Temperature

LegendI[parity.temp]: parity Temp

LegendO[parity.temp]: parity Temp

Options[parity.temp]: integer, gauge, nopercent, growright, unknaszero

good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Keep getting emails:

Subject: cron for user root env LANG=C /usr/bin/mrtg --lock-file /tmp/mrtg_lockfile /boot/config/mrtg.cfg

Received SNMP response with error code

error status: noSuchName

index 2 (OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.9.1.9.2)

SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "localhost" [127.0.0.1].161)

community: "public"

request ID: 1191591737

PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes

timeout: 2s

retries: 5

backoff: 1)

at /usr/bin/../lib/mrtg2/SNMP_util.pm line 497

SNMPGET Problem for dskPercent.1 dskPercent.2 sysUptime sysName on public@localhost::::::v4only

at /usr/bin/mrtg line 2330

2012-01-21 18:30:02: ERROR: Target[server.disk][_IN_] ' $target->[9]{$mode} ' did not eval into defined data

2012-01-21 18:30:02: ERROR: Target[server.disk][_OUT_] ' $target->[9]{$mode} ' did not eval into defined data

Help!? Getting these regularly...

SNMPGET Problem for dskPercent.1 dskPercent.2 sysUptime sysName on public@localhost::::::v4only

2012-01-21 18:30:02: ERROR: Target[server.disk][_IN_] ' $target->[9]{$mode} ' did not eval into defined data

2012-01-21 18:30:02: ERROR: Target[server.disk][_OUT_] ' $target->[9]{$mode} ' did not eval into defined data

Help!? Getting these regularly...

Hmm, I would guess that either you have disk usage set up for a disk that doesn't exist or your array isn't mounted or you're attempting to track disk usage without having SNMP know what disks you want to track. 

Either way, double check the section in /boot/config/mrtg.cfg that deals with disk usage and /boot/config/snmpd.conf.  snmpd.conf should have lines like

rocommunity public

syslocation Here

syscontact [email protected]

disk /mnt/disk1

disk /mnt/disk2

disk /mnt/disk3

in it.  if you don't have any disk lines (or no /boot/config/snmpd.conf file at all), you probably are running an older version of the MRTG install.  re-copy the http://ruinedkingdoms.com/unRAID/mrtg-unmenu-package.conf file, delete snmpd.conf (if present), and re-install the MRTG package.  The "dskPercent.1 dskPercent.2" in your error message means MRTG can't find information about the 1st and 2nd "disk" lines in the snmpd.conf file.  Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

All up and working fine, but I have a question regarding data storage if I may:

My intention is to run MRTG to monitor SNMP from my Airport Extreme in order to track bandwidth stats. I currently do this on a Mac Mini, but it makes sense to move this functionality to the UnRaid box. Because of this I want to keep data after reboot, so RAM is no good. 

I have the data writing to my data array, as I do not have a cache drive (free version). Because of this, the drive cannot spin down as it is being updated frequently. Would it be advisable to write instead to a mounted drive that isn't in the array (a sort of scratch drive) or a USB stick (what would the life of this be?) or use the array?

Would it be advisable to write instead to a mounted drive that isn't in the array (a sort of scratch drive) or a USB stick (what would the life of this be?) or use the array?

Hi, yeah you could put another drive in, but then you would still always have one drive spinning... saving you a net 1 drive spinning (the parity drive wouldn't be able to spin down either if you write to the array all the time).  I'm not sure that the humble usb flash drive has any wear-leveling like ssd drives are supposed to.  USB flash drives are usually rated for 10,000 - 100,000 cycles (depending on the technology), so figuring worst case: 10,000 cycles over the same exact spots (probably not very likely, even without wear-leveling) at updates every 5 minutes would give about a month lifespan (10,000 write cycles / 12 five minute intervals in an hour / 24 hours in a day = 34.7 days).  I had tossed around the idea of putting a tiny ssd drive in my box (newegg has a 16 GB Kingston SSD for $40) for both MRTG and other stuff (I have a weather station that I want to move the monitoring off of a Mac Mini to the unRAID box). 

If you have an extra drive kicking around, that's probably the best bet if you want your array to spin down.  If you don't have an extra drive kicking around and want to spend the money, I would buy the tiny SSD (nothing to spin up/down and wear-leveling should make it last a very long time).  USB flash drive is probably the worst bet.  Although, there shouldn't be any issue writing to the array (other than the no spinning down).

Of course, that's only my $0.02, anybody else have any experience in the matter?

@AdamT - Thanks for the very detailed reply, especially regarding USB Flash life calculations.

I think for now, I'll use a drive outside the array as I have a spare and this will stop the parity drive being spun up as well. The SSD drive idea sounds like the best option though - especially as a small drive isn't expensive.

Well, I appear to have things working.  I used an example mrtg.cfg file from this thread.  And, changed the data file location to a location on disk1 of my array.  I had to reboot to get the webpage to show the graphs from the new data file location.  Now, I get an email about every five minutes.  The email is informing me about errors that I don't understand.

Unknown SNMP var ssCpuRawUser.0
2012-02-05 11:00:01: WARNING: Expected a number but got '0:25:11'
2012-02-05 11:00:01: WARNING: Expected a number but got 'UNRAID'
Unknown SNMP var ssCpuRawSystem.0
Unknown SNMP var ssCpuRawNice.0
Unknown SNMP var memAvailReal.0
Unknown SNMP var memBuffer.0
Unknown SNMP var memCached.0
Unknown SNMP var memTotalReal.0
2012-02-05 11:00:02: ERROR: Target[server.cpu][_IN_] ' $target->[1]{$mode}  +  $target->[2]{$mode}  +  $target->[3]{$mode} ' (warn): Use of uninitialized value in addition (+) at (eval 18) line 1.
2012-02-05 11:00:02: ERROR: Target[server.cpu][_OUT_] ' $target->[1]{$mode}  +  $target->[2]{$mode}  +  $target->[3]{$mode} ' (warn): Use of uninitialized value in addition (+) at (eval 19) line 1.
2012-02-05 11:00:02: ERROR: Target[server.mempercentused][_IN_] '100 - ( (  $target->[4]{$mode}  +  $target->[5]{$mode}  +  $target->[6]{$mode}  ) * 100 / (  $target->[7]{$mode}  ) )' (warn): Use of uninitialized value in division (/) at (eval 20) line 1.
2012-02-05 11:00:02: ERROR: Target[server.mempercentused][_OUT_] '100 - ( (  $target->[4]{$mode}  +  $target->[5]{$mode}  +  $target->[6]{$mode}  ) * 100 / (  $target->[7]{$mode}  ) )' (warn): Use of uninitialized value in division (/) at (eval 21) line 1.

I'm sure this is an issue with my configuration, but I'm not too sure what I need to fix.

Any advise?

Well, I appear to have things working.  I used an example mrtg.cfg file from this thread.  And, changed the data file location to a location on disk1 of my array.  I had to reboot to get the webpage to show the graphs from the new data file location.  Now, I get an email about every five minutes.  The email is informing me about errors that I don't understand.

2012-02-05 11:00:02: ERROR: Target[server.cpu][_IN_] ' $target->[1]{$mode}  +  $target->[2]{$mode}  +  $target->[3]{$mode} ' (warn): Use of uninitialized value in addition (+) at (eval 18) line 1.
2012-02-05 11:00:02: ERROR: Target[server.cpu][_OUT_] ' $target->[1]{$mode}  +  $target->[2]{$mode}  +  $target->[3]{$mode} ' (warn): Use of uninitialized value in addition (+) at (eval 19) line 1.
2012-02-05 11:00:02: ERROR: Target[server.mempercentused][_IN_] '100 - ( (  $target->[4]{$mode}  +  $target->[5]{$mode}  +  $target->[6]{$mode}  ) * 100 / (  $target->[7]{$mode}  ) )' (warn): Use of uninitialized value in division (/) at (eval 20) line 1.
2012-02-05 11:00:02: ERROR: Target[server.mempercentused][_OUT_] '100 - ( (  $target->[4]{$mode}  +  $target->[5]{$mode}  +  $target->[6]{$mode}  ) * 100 / (  $target->[7]{$mode}  ) )' (warn): Use of uninitialized value in division (/) at (eval 21) line 1.

I'm sure this is an issue with my configuration, but I'm not too sure what I need to fix.

Any advise?

im having the same issue, the memory and cpu load graphs are not working

MRTG up and working with the basic script, but the system monitoring ones don't display any graphs (I just get all the config text on the webpage) and I cannot fathom why.

I have however managed to add the pppoe interface from my Airport Extreme, in order to monitor bandwidth usage, as I have a monthly cap.

I also have managed to get monthly stats using the traffic sum script that gets installed as part of MRTG. I though it might be interesting to others:

/usr/bin/mrtg-traffic-sum --email=me@youraddress --range=previous --units=GB /boot/config/mrtg.cfg

Will email you lasts months usage, if run on the 1st of each month.

Can anyone help me with how to add this to a monthly cron job? Searched, but confused!

@generalz and @JarDo:

I would try to see if you can access the SNMP variables outside of MRTG.  Using SNMPWalk from the command line:

root@unRAID:~# /usr/bin/snmpwalk -v1 -c public localhost memTotalReal.0

UCD-SNMP-MIB::memTotalReal.0 = INTEGER: 4084496 kB

root@unRAID:~# /usr/bin/snmpwalk -v1 -c public localhost memCached.0

UCD-SNMP-MIB::memCached.0 = INTEGER: 3619136 kB

root@unRAID:~# /usr/bin/snmpwalk -v1 -c public localhost ssCpuRawSystem.0

UCD-SNMP-MIB::ssCpuRawSystem.0 = Counter32: 456891

If that doesn't work, MRTG wouldn't show those variables.

MRTG up and working with the basic script, but the system monitoring ones don't display any graphs (I just get all the config text on the webpage) and I cannot fathom why.

not sure what you mean by "the config text on the webpage"

/usr/bin/mrtg-traffic-sum --email=me@youraddress --range=previous --units=GB /boot/config/mrtg.cfg

Will email you lasts months usage, if run on the 1st of each month.

Can anyone help me with how to add this to a monthly cron job? Searched, but confused!

it's more complicated than usual because unRAID is in a RAMdisk and boots off of a flash drive.  Add a line like this to the end of your /boot/config/go file (this is all one line)

(crontab -l | grep -v mrtg-traffic-sum; echo "05 01 01 * * env LANG=C /usr/bin/mrtg-traffic-sum --email=me@youraddress --range=previous --units=GB /boot/config/mrtg.cfg") | crontab - 

the format of a crontab line is

*    *    *    *    *  command to be executed
?    ?    ?    ?    ?
?    ?    ?    ?    ?
?    ?    ?    ?    ?
?    ?    ?    ?    ??? day of week (0 - 7) (0 or 7 is Sun, or use names)
?    ?    ?    ????? month (1 - 12)
?    ?    ??????? day of month (1 - 31)
?    ????????? hour (0 - 23)
??????????? min (0 - 59)

so, in my example (05 01 01 * *), that would mean that at 01:05 on the first of every month it would run the command (env LANG=C /usr/bin/mrtg-traffic-sum --email=me@youraddress --range=previous --units=GB /boot/config/mrtg.cfg).  The rest of that line is adding the line into the crontab. 

after that you would either have to copy/paste the command into the command line (to execute it for the current session) or just reboot the unRAID.

after you do that, you can test to see if it worked by typing

crontab -l

and looking for the line in the output.

HTH

Thanks AdamT - really useful explanation. I'll give it a go.

By "the config text on the webpage" I mean I get the graphs for eth0, but in place of the other graphs (cpu, disk temperature etc) I get a load of text, for example:

/dev/sdb Temperature (Celsius)

MaxBytes[sdb.temp]: 60 AbsMax[sdb.temp]: 100 Unscaled[sdb.temp]: ymwd ShortLegend[sdb.temp]: C YLegend[sdb.temp]: Temperature © Legend1[sdb.temp]: /dev/sdb Temperature LegendI[sdb.temp]: sdb Temp LegendO[sdb.temp]: sdb Temp Options[sdb.temp]: integer, gauge, nopercent, growright, unknaszero Target[sdc.temp]: `smartctl -n standby -A /dev/sdc | egrep "Temp|exit" | perl -pe '$_=substr($_,87,2);$_=0 if($_ eq "");$_="$_ $_ 0 0 ";'` Title[sdc.temp]: /dev/sdc Temperature PageTop[sdc.temp]:

I'm probably being dim.

Thanks AdamT - really useful explanation. I'll give it a go.

By "the config text on the webpage" I mean I get the graphs for eth0, but in place of the other graphs (cpu, disk temperature etc) I get a load of text, for example:

Ah, check your mrtg.cfg file, I suspect you have something wrong with one of the PageTop lines, perhaps there is no newline at the end or something? If you want, PM me your exact config file and I'll have a look

Target[sda.temp]: `smartctl -n standby -A /dev/sda | egrep "Temp|exit" | perl -pe '$_=substr($_,87,2);$_=0 if($_ eq "");$_="$_\n$_\n0\n0\n";'`
Title[sda.temp]: /dev/sda Temperature
PageTop[sda.temp]: <h1>/dev/sda Temperature (Celsius)</h1>
MaxBytes[sda.temp]: 60
AbsMax[sda.temp]: 100
Unscaled[sda.temp]: ymwd
ShortLegend[sda.temp]: C
YLegend[sda.temp]: Temperature (C)
Legend1[sda.temp]: /dev/sda Temperature
LegendI[sda.temp]: sda Temp
LegendO[sda.temp]: sda Temp
Options[sda.temp]: integer, gauge, nopercent, growright, unknaszero

@generalz and @JarDo:

I would try to see if you can access the SNMP variables outside of MRTG.  Using SNMPWalk from the command line:

root@unRAID:~# /usr/bin/snmpwalk -v1 -c public localhost memTotalReal.0

UCD-SNMP-MIB::memTotalReal.0 = INTEGER: 4084496 kB

root@unRAID:~# /usr/bin/snmpwalk -v1 -c public localhost memCached.0

UCD-SNMP-MIB::memCached.0 = INTEGER: 3619136 kB

root@unRAID:~# /usr/bin/snmpwalk -v1 -c public localhost ssCpuRawSystem.0

UCD-SNMP-MIB::ssCpuRawSystem.0 = Counter32: 456891

If that doesn't work, MRTG wouldn't show those variables.

that seems to working no problem.

root@Fileserver02:~# /usr/bin/snmpwalk -v1 -c public localhost memTotalReal.0
UCD-SNMP-MIB::memTotalReal.0 = INTEGER: 4150948 kB

root@Fileserver02:~# /usr/bin/snmpwalk -v1 -c public localhost memCached.0
UCD-SNMP-MIB::memCached.0 = INTEGER: 3153812 kB

root@Fileserver02:~# /usr/bin/snmpwalk -v1 -c public localhost ssCpuRawSystem.0
UCD-SNMP-MIB::ssCpuRawSystem.0 = Counter32: 876177

root@Fileserver02:~#

Ok, that's good.  I wonder if your mrtg.cfg has formatting issues?  The blocks that you're having problems with have extra long lines, can you make sure that all the lines that start with Target[...]: haven't been accidentally split into two lines?

Like this one, it should all be one line:

Target[server.mempercentused]: 100 - ( ( memAvailReal.0&memAvailReal.0:public@localhost + memBuffer.0&memBuffer.0:public@localhost + memCached.0&memCached.0:public@localhost ) * 100 / ( memTotalReal.0&memTotalReal.0:public@localhost ) )

Ok, that's good.  I wonder if your mrtg.cfg has formatting issues?  The blocks that you're having problems with have extra long lines, can you make sure that all the lines that start with Target[...]: haven't been accidentally split into two lines?

Like this one, it should all be one line:

Target[server.mempercentused]: 100 - ( ( memAvailReal.0&memAvailReal.0:public@localhost + memBuffer.0&memBuffer.0:public@localhost + memCached.0&memCached.0:public@localhost ) * 100 / ( memTotalReal.0&memTotalReal.0:public@localhost ) )

no its all one line according to n++