Any recommendations on a server rackmount for the Norco 4224?

bcboncs

I had a heck of a time finding something to house my 2 super micro servers, and UPSs.  The problem I kept running into was the racks I was finding were either too large (I wanted something under 15U, as space was an issue and I didn't want a full size (42u) rack), or the depth wasn't deep enough for the server cases, as they require almost 30 inches of depth with the rails.  I ended up picking up a Tripp Lite 13u 4 post rack (star tech makes one as well) off ebay, which has an adjustable depth.  It does the job well, but I would have preferred something enclosed. 

As for mounting on the wall or ceiling, it may be difficult to find something that is deep enough or that can be attached to handle the weight!

Good luck with your search!  It took me almost a year to find something suitable (that I wouldn't have to pay an arm and a leg for).

Not a bad idea whatsoever there prostuff1.  I just might go with that honestly.

How's it look though, with your server on it?  Is it a bit ghetto? :)

Depends on your definition of ghetto.  I honestly don't think it looks bad at all.  I will be putting up a UCD post next weekend hopefully with pictures of its finally home.

just buy a set of rails close to the size u need and build your own...........

https://skydrive.live.com/?sc=photos&cid=9f4155d702d6e29b#cid=9F4155D702D6E29B&id=9F4155D702D6E29B%212082&sc=photos

Forgive me for not being an engineer.  As for that link, it doesn't work: "This item might have been deleted, expired, or you might not have permission to access it. Contact the owner of this item for more information."

Forgive me for not being an engineer.  As for that link, it doesn't work: "This item might have been deleted, expired, or you might not have permission to access it. Contact the owner of this item for more information."

im not an engineer either.....basic carpentry skills is all thats needed.......

This is probably the most badass thing I've ever seen if you just need basic carpentry skills.

Would you happen to know any good how-to's?

Nice image by the way.

This is probably the most badass thing I've ever seen if you just need basic carpentry skills.

Would you happen to know any good how-to's?

Nice image by the way.

thanx man......i do not know of any how to`s.....

it really is not that difficult......i built mine out of 3/4 MDF then finished it with 1/4 birch plywood........

That looks sweet Raj! Is that under a table? Isn't it a bit noisy?

That's not mine, I just stole the photo from the wiki page that I linked above.  The design is based on a $10 Ikea Lack table.  I've always wanted to build one, but haven't had any need for it (I prefer tower servers to rackmount).  If you upgrade the fans in the rackmount case, then you can make them very quiet.  I still probably wouldn't want it in my living room, but in an office it would be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Wish I had storage like that JohnM,  I better stick to the nexus prominent 9 for a while.

I have got it working now. With three disks at the moment running on 4.7 as I had trouble getting 5.14 beta to work. Might switch back to it later on.

if you look really hard,,, you can see the feet from my nexus prom9 sitting on top of my lack... and a spare drive cage..

The prom is a nice case.. don't knock it. you can get 15 drives in that puppy, look super nice and stay dead silent..