HD replacement problem

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hello together,

a fews days ago I saw a dead drive on the array (red x). I ordered a replacment drive which I received today. Than I did the following:

1. Powered down the server 

2. Switch drive

3. Start server

4. Assign new drive

5. Selecte rebuilt

For some reason the system stalled and showed 'Unknown' for finishing time and 'Paused' at the bottom left of the screen (also almost no writing to replacment disk). So I had to reboot the system.

Now it only shows the 'Start will bring the array' online. I doesn't mention anything of rebuilding the arry.

What can I do?

Btw.: The connection between drive and board looks good.

Bildschirmfoto 2024-06-25 um 13.19.56.png

Edited by shire
Jun 25 13:01:36 Tower kernel: sd 10:0:0:0: [sdo] tag#9935 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x0b driverbyte=DRIVER_OK cmd_age=1s
Jun 25 13:01:36 Tower kernel: sd 10:0:0:0: [sdo] tag#9935 CDB: opcode=0x8a 8a 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0c 90 00 00 04 00 00 00
Jun 25 13:01:36 Tower kernel: I/O error, dev sdo, sector 3216 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x4000 phys_seg 128 prio class 2
Jun 25 13:01:36 Tower kernel: md: disk18 write error, sector=3152
Jun 25 13:01:36 Tower kernel: md: disk18 write error, sector=3160
Jun 25 13:01:36 Tower kernel: md: disk18 write error, sector=3168
Jun 25 13:01:36 Tower kernel: md: disk18 write error, sector=3176
Jun 25 13:01:36 Tower kernel: md: disk18 write error, sector=3184

Write failed during the rebuild, check/replace cables or swap slots and try again.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, shire said:

Changed the cable and moved the port from the add-on card to the mainboard. I started the array and it still says "Start will bring the array online" and nothing of rebuild.

That would be expected if the drive currently shows as disabled (which is likely if you got a failure in the previous rebuild attempt).

In such case you need to follow the procedure outlined here in the online documentation accessible via the Manual link at the bottom of the Unraid GUI. 

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, itimpi said:

That would be expected if the drive currently shows as disabled (which is likely if you got a failure in the previous rebuild attempt).

In such case you need to follow the procedure outlined here in the online documentation accessible via the Manual link at the bottom of the Unraid GUI. 

Okay. That is a lot of text.

I can't go any further form the present screen with 'Start will bring the array online'. So I should start maintenance mode and do a parity check/rebuilt?

(optional) Tick the box to start in Maintenance mode. If you start the array in Maintenance mode you will need to press the Syncbutton to trigger the rebuild. The advantage of doing this in Maintenance mode is that nothing else can write to the array while the rebuild is running which maximises speed. The disadvantage is that you cannot use the array in the meantime and until you return to normal mode cannot see what the contents of the disk being rebuilt will look like.

Drive18 shows indeed as disabled / emulated data...