Mover not clearing the cache even though all shares have array set as primary storage

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Posted (edited)

hello, 

i looked through all previous threads i could find on this, but i still can't figure out why mover runs but doesn't actually move anything. i tried checking syslog and don't see any errors.

i stopped all services that could be stopped, removed all the docker containers. did everything else i could think of. i don't know where to look for clues. 

i need everything off the cache because my cache drives are U.2 drive, for which the backplane is failing and i don't have a replacement nor do i want to replace it. they will be replaced by new M.2 drives

thanks 

daphne-diagnostics-20240705-2056.zip

Edited by solomonshv
  • Solution

When you set the array as primary storage all new files go to the array but existing files are left where they are.

For Mover to move anything you need the pool set as primary storage, and the array as secondary storage snd mover direction set accordingly.   If there is no secondary storage set on a share then mover does nothing.  

Posted (edited)
On 7/6/2024 at 12:38 AM, itimpi said:

When you set the array as primary storage all new files go to the array but existing files are left where they are.

For Mover to move anything you need the pool set as primary storage, and the array as secondary storage snd mover direction set accordingly.   If there is no secondary storage set on a share then mover does nothing.  

thanks. seems counter intuitive. i thought data should from cache to the primary storage 

now i have a new problem. system is locking up when mover tries to move large amount of data, and i have to do a forced shutdown. can't access web portal, can't access shares from PC. 

Edited by solomonshv