Downgrade to 4.7

This week I built a unRAID server using beta 5.14. I also ordered the SASLP-MV8. User dgaschk posted in another post that I should use 4.7 since the SASLP-MV8 has problems in the beta's but that it should be fixed in the 5 release version. I didn't know that before installing. Guess I missed that in all the reading I did before installing. Is there a way to downgrade to 4.7 since I never had it to begin with. I have no configuration file other that beta 5.14. I might be able to put off using the SASLP-MV8 for a month or so before I need to add it to the server.

Thanks

Jim B

E6750/Asus P5K-E

2 Gigs Kingston ram

6x 2TB Seagate LP

SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold

The beta version I used had problems too. 4.7 is the most stable version I've used recently. Before that I was on 4.5 for a couple years and the array ran perfectly. I upgraded to one if the 5.x beta versions and had problem after problem.

The lesson learned for me is don't use beta code if you don't want problems. I'm back up on 5.7 and won't upgrade to 5.x until a couple of revisions later.

This doesn't work. I replaced the 2 files after backing up of course, and it will boot, I can access the webpage, but it says Invalid configuration...too many wrong or missing disks. I went to the devices and set up the disks EXACTLY as they should be, but nothing. It still says Invalid configuration. I can shut down, copy the 5.14 files back over, and everything boots fine. I tried to downgrade to 5.11 and it went crazy. It worked fine until it was time for the drives to power down...then all hell broke loose. Couldn't even access the web page, had to force shutdown at command level. I just want to downgrade to 4.7 since I will be using a SASLP-MV8 that arrives on monday. I don't want to have to move the 2TB of data I have already placed on unRAID off, and then wipe everything and start over. But I will if that it the only way. Can anyone please tell me what's wrong that I can't downgrade to 4.7? Again just replacing the 2 files DOES NOT WORK.

Thanks

Jim B

E6750/Asus P5K-E

2 Gigs Kingston ram

3x 2TB Seagate LP

SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold

I've up and downgraded, the only thing I did in addition to replacing the bz* files was to delete the passwd, shadow and smbpasswd files from the config directory. I don't think thats the issue but worth a try.

One thing to watch out for is some of the drive serials are very similar. You could have a 2 drives in the wrong slot so it comes up invalid when switching versions. I had to unassign most drives and reassign in the correct order before the system gave me a valid.

• 7 months later...

I'm thinking of downgrading to v4.7.

Is this done by replacing the two files or is there any other way to downgrade?

save a copy of the config directory.

save a screen shot of the disk assignment page.

run the following command on EVERY one of your disks, and save the output.

fdisk -lu /dev/sdX

If you have IDE disks, run

fdisk -lu /dev/hdX

on each of them.

You may not need these, but if you find a disk that subsequently shows as unformatted, or one that cannot mount, you can set a new disk config and re-configure the user-shares, etc.

Can you tell us why you want to downgrade? I am on the latest release and so far have not had any issues and I am using the SASLP-MV8 card.  I would like to know what issues you are experiencing, so I know what to possibly expect.

Thanks,

David

It's my own fault. I upgraded to try and get AirPrint working. I failed on that miserably.

I thought I'd downgrade to a stable version again but it looks like I might be better off staying where I am.