SMB vs AFP Unraid Speed

I have have finally upgraded from 4.4.2 (been there for years) to 5.b14 to get AFP support which I have wanted for a while.

My array is an original from Lime Technology and has all 15 drives full ranging from 750GB to 1.5TB drives.

Unofficial tests copying a 6GB file from my iMac (3.06ghz core2duo running OS X Lion) to the Unraid share.

in 30 seconds (timed) SMB transferred 670MB and AFP transferred 528MB.  This is all hardwired over gigabit LAN.

I know it isn't a huge difference but I was expecting my Mac to transfer faster since it would be native AFP.

Pretty sad if I have to go back to SMB because it is faster.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I have experienced the exact same issue that you have xfiring. I'm using a Macbook Pro (OSX 10.6.8 ) and a HP Microserver with 5.0-rc8a over confirmed gigabit LAN.

#When I write to a user share via AFP I get write speeds pending from 2.5 MB/s to 23 MB/s with a 4 GB file. The copying seems very "bouncy", it's not a steady flow of data so to say. It's pending a lot. Copying same file back over AFP I get speeds up to 96 MB/s, much steadier.

#When I write to the user share via SMB I get speed up to 36 MB/s and it's not pending as much as over AFP. Copying back the same file give me a steady 60-70 MB/s.

Is this behavior normal? I should say that I have no cache drive and haven't disabled parity. My intend is to use the unRAID as end storage mainly so having better write speed would be great, at least now when I'm transferring all my media (5 TB +).