ESXI Build questions

Witchdoc

Hey guys, so I've finally decided to start buying the parts i need to build an esxi unraid box.

I'm planning on building a 20bay box using the below hardware:

Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X9SCM-F-O

Case: Antec 1200 v3

CPU:  XEON E3-1270 Quad core

RAM: 16GB ECC Ram (4x4GB)

SATA Adapter: 1x IBM M1015

Intel RES2SV240 24 Port Expander

CORSAIR CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 CPU Cooler

HDD Cage Type: Supermicro 5-in-3 / 20 bays

PSU: Seasonic X-850 Gold Certified

I will be running 6 or 7 vm's on this box including usenet client, transcoding vm, unraid of course, and potentially a WHS 2011 in the near future.

I'm planning on starting off with 3 green drives and upgrading as i need more storage and drive prices drop.

Questions i have are what drive do you guys recommend i use for my datastore and cache drives?  I'm planning on using http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145475 for data and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148834 for parity and was thinking of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226225 for cache and datastore.  I just picked a decent looking SSD since I have no clue on which one to use for cache or datastore however.  I don't mind spending extra on a good quality SSD to gain performance but would like to keep it below $2/GB.

What do you guys think?  Any recommendations on different hardware?  What drive are the guys running esxi now using for datastore and cache?  Any thoughts of long term reliability with SSD or should i expect a shorter lifespan for my SSD since i will not be using TRIM?

The standard fare Intel heatsink/fan that is rated for your Xeon CPU is usally more then enough.  The CORSAIR CWCH60 is overkill, but just my opinion.

I have a 120gb Vertex 3 I've been using for a VMFS drive that I've been happy with (and I have it on a 3gb/s port even)

Since you have a SAS capable card, you might look towards used 10k or 15k SAS drives for your cache.  Cheaper then a SSD, larger, and more then plenty fast enough.  If you are that concerned over a fast cache drive, I would assume that you plan on using it a lot, which in that case you might burn through a SSD quicker then is wanted.

I would suggest finding RAM that is on the HCL for your motherboard.  Supermicro's tend to be picky, other stuff will work but may not be as reliable.

Hmm ok maybe i'll reconsider the ssd for cache then and use a single ssd for vmdk datastore.  The cpu cooler is only costing me $75 shipped so i figured might as well in case i really tax the cpu when transcoding video.  As for ram i do plan on using the recommended ram for the x9scm.  It will most likely be kingston ram that i'll put into it.

Only reason i was thinking of a ssd for cache was to not have the cache drive be a bottle neck when transfering data over my lan.  I'd like to get full gigabit wire speed when transfering data, is that still a possibility using a 7200 sata or 10/15k sas drive?

1Gb/s = 128MB/s

A 10k or 15k might be able to do that sustained.  The machine/drive you copying from able to maintain a sustaned read of that rate?

Server grade stuff is usually rated for sustained 100% usage, I would be more worried about adequate cooling in your case to provide cool air for the OEM CPU heatsink/cooler (and 20 drives) then if the OEM heatsink/cooler can keep the CPU cool.

Or spend it on a nice fast second VMFS backup and/or VMFS data drive. The usenet downloads will need to be stored somewhere.. We had another discussion about using a second drive for the heavy downloads vmdisk and VMFS backups.

For the faster parity drive, Sometimes people say it doesn't matter or it doesn't afford much,

But if you can get that 7200RPM seagate NOW with the promotion, it's only $10 more and I can attest that when you do multiple writes to multiple drives. it matters!

Ok i'll save the $75 on the cooler and put it towards a drive.  Now the question is what drive should i use for cache?  I'm already planning a SSD for the vmdk datastore but maybe i should get a second seagate 7200 for esxi as well for ISO and backups.  I guess that would leave me with 19 bays for uraid then.

Ok i'll save the $75 on the cooler and put it towards a drive.  Now the question is what drive should i use for cache?  I'm already planning a SSD for the vmdk datastore but maybe i should get a second seagate 7200 for esxi as well for ISO and backups.  I guess that would leave me with 19 bays for uraid then.

That is what was recommended in another thread about SSD for Datastore.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=17864.0

If I were to purchase a magnetic drive for a data store, I would purchased the fastest and largest I could afford.

The same for a parity drive.

For a cache I would choose the fasted for the maximum amount of data I were planning to move at one time or I would match it to the parity so that ANY drive in the array could be replaced rapidly by giving up the use of cache.

I.E. The cache becomes a warm on site spare to replace any failed drive, while you get an RMA or new drive for the failed one.

However, if 25-35MB/s is fast enough to move a file to your array, you may not really need a cache drive.

I have a cache drive, but hardly use it since, I use tera copy and it's fast enough to move files to my disk share.

I'm running a vertex3 SSD for my cache drive and I cant be happier with it.  i get full wire speed to my unraid. even while the mover is running.

in that other thread that Webo referenced, you'll see i have pushed over 12TB through my previous SSD cache drive that i just replaced simply because it was SATA2. it was still in good shape.

for datastores, i have 3 SSD's and 2 spinners at the moment.