BestBuy - Seagate 1tb at $189.99

Was the first guy through the door this morning, complete with shopping cart.  Rolled down the aisle and saw they had only five boxes on the shelf...  scarfed all five and asked if they had any more... nope.... went home with the five and found the online was backordered so ordered the sixth from Fry's... now gotta get some 3in2 racks....  ::)

The manufacturers have somehow agreed to the capacity of drives.  Although I saw variability is 250G drives a few years back, different brands of 300s, 500s, 750s, and 1Ts have been exactly the same formatted capacity.

Drives have spare sectors in reserve for SMART remapping.  Slightly different sizes based on different drive geometries must result in more or less spare sectors.

I have 7 Western Digital WD10EACS drives. 

• 3 of them report a size of 976,761,496
  • 4 of them report a size of 976,762,552

When I was building it (consolidating two unRAIDs onto one), I filled it without a parity drive.  Of course, the drive that I just happened to choose for parity just happened to be one of the smaller byte count.