[RESOLVED] Is it possible and how to set up a DHCP server ?

Hello,

Sorry for all these questions from beginner !

I'm using UnRAID version 5.0-beta14 Aio freshly installed on my new USB stick.

I configured the network interface so not to use a DHCP server. However I assigned a static IP address 192.168.0.250, a subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.0.254. This works very well.

When searching in the filesystem I found a file /etc/dhcpd.conf. This leads me to believe that a DHCP server is present but not yet started (ps -A | grep -i dhcpd).

I've never configured such a server. Can anyone help me?

• First is this possible?
  • How to start and stop the dhcpd service?
  • How to configure the server so that it meets the following requirements:
    • Assigning IP address in the range 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.5
    • Assign a permanent IP address based on MAC address. So that is always assigned the same IP address for my printer.

One more question if I may :

Is there a solution to the DHCP server to assign an IP address (not necessarily the same for each connection) to a network component whose MAC address is known? If so how?

Thank you for the time you have given me

configured the network interface so not to use a DHCP server. However I assigned a static IP address 192.168.0.250, a subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.0.254. This works very well.

...don't you have a dhcp server in your network already? Where do all other computers in your network receive their IP from?

Typically that'll be your internet router (your "gateway")... 192.168.0.254 as you filled that in...

Obviously your current net is in the range 192.168.0.0/24 since you state that your statically assigned address out of that range does "work".

I assume, by that you do mean that other clients can access the unRAID shares.  ;)

• First is this possible?

...cannot comment if dhcpd is fully available and usable on unRAID.

I'd recommend a much simpler package, called dnsmasq.

There apears to be an AddOn for unRAID, here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=17392.msg157010#msg157010

...I am running dnsmasq (outside of unRAID) with great success.

• How to start and stop the dhcpd service?
  • How to configure the server so that it meets the following requirements:
    • Assigning IP address in the range 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.5
    • Assign a permanent IP address based on MAC address. So that is always assigned the same IP address for my printer.

One more question if I may :

Is there a solution to the DHCP server to assign an IP address (not necessarily the same for each connection) to a network component whose MAC address is known? If so how?

Thank you for the time you have given me

...all that is possible with dnsmasq...there is only a single config file to maintain.

The AddOn package should take care of start/stop magic....

...there is good documentation to be found on the net...google is your friend.

One thing aside...running the DHCP server on unraid means that unRAID itself must use a static address.  ;)