Red ball... What do I do?

Run pre-clear on the disk and post a new SMART report. If you have a spare drive rebuild on to the spare.

A red indicator will occur if a "write" to the disk fails. 

Basically, at least one "write" to the disk failed.  (It could be many more than one failure)

I'd stop the array, un-assign the failed drives, power down, re-seat both ends of the cables, both power and data to the failed disk, then reboot.

Start the array with it un-assigned, then stop the array, re-assign the drive, and re-start the array and let it rebuild the drive.

Joe L.

• 3 weeks later...

Run pre-clear on the disk and post a new SMART report. If you have a spare drive rebuild on to the spare.

Basically, at least one "write" to the disk failed.  (It could be many more than one failure)

I'd stop the array, un-assign the failed drives, power down, re-seat both ends of the cables, both power and data to the failed disk, then reboot.

Start the array with it un-assigned, then stop the array, re-assign the drive, and re-start the array and let it rebuild the drive.

Joe L.

How to do this in 5b14?

I stopped the array and set the slot for the failed drive to no disk, then rebooted. The array was started with the failed (red-balled) drive after reboot.

Joe L.

How to do this in 5b14?

I stopped the array and set the slot for the failed drive to no disk, then rebooted. The array was started with the failed (red-balled) drive after reboot.

Good... Now, stop the array once more, and re-assign the failed disk, and let it re-construct it.