new build assistance?

j2048b

hey guys, i have a plan!

here is what i have and my plan but need a few recommendations

case: old g5 mac tower, silver which i will take apart and paint satin black!

motherboard: abit ab9 pro with 9!! yes 9!! sata ports on board! (recommended under unraids listing)

SATA1~SATA6: Available for RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, or RAID 10 configuration. (Supports up to 4 disks for RAID 0/10/5, or up to 2 disks for RAID 1) (For model “AB9 Pro”)

SATA8~SATA9: Available for RAID 0, RAID 1, or JBOD configuration.

SATA7, eSATA1: Available for RAID 0 or RAID 1 configuration. (For model “AB9 Pro”)

memory corsair ddr2  2x2 gig=4 gig total (can get more if needed?

QUESTIONS AND SUGGESTIONS SECTION:

now i need to ask what pcu u guys recommend for this motherboard?

power for this thing?

hard drive caddies?

FANS?

pcu cooler?

mother board upgrade, or use what i have?

also, how would one mount this mb into this older gc mac case? studs of some sort, but how to connect them to the case?

i plan to throw in a few 2 tb samsung server drives along with 2, 1.5 tb samsungs and a couple more about 4-5 1 tb wd greens.

i need to make this bad boy as silent as an indian roaming thru the forest to make a kill!

also need to keep the power usage down, possibly go green type of power unit?

plan to use this to stream media to a few appletv's and to a ps3, as well as an xbox 360,

is it worth it to throw in a blu ray drive or anything like that?

can u somehow run playon from the server interface? probably not but it would be awesome if one could?

thnks guys! i look forward to your help with this build along with pics and stuff along the way!

it will take me some time but be worth it when it is finished

Congrats on finding an Abit board, they are pretty rare these days.  You mention streaming to PS3/Xbox, which means you'll need to run PS3 Media Server to transcode video for you.  This requires a dual core or better CPU.  Look for a relatively cheap LGA 775 Athlon.  The stock CPU cooler will be fine, you won't need a third party one.

4 GB of RAM will be fine.

Before I can recommend a PSU or drive cages, I need to know exactly how many drives you plan to install in your server, as well as their rotational speeds (7200 RPM, 5400 RPM, etc.).

No need for a BluRay drive.  If you want to rip BluRays, I recommend you do so with your desktop or laptop.

Playon appears to be Windows-only, so you will not be able to run it on your server (which is Linux-based).

The best way to keep your server green is to use only green drives, such as the Hitachi CoolSpins and WD Greens.

I don't know how to install the motherboard into your G5 case.  As long as you can get at least 4 of the screw holes to line up, it should be fine.  However, I don't know if Apple uses some proprietary screw formats in their towers like they do in their laptops.  If so, you may be out of luck.  If you want a similar look to the G5 in another case, check out Lian Li cases.  They aren't cheap, but they are top quality and will work with any standard motherboard and other components.

Congrats on finding an Abit board, they are pretty rare these days.  You mention streaming to PS3/Xbox, which means you'll need to run PS3 Media Server to transcode video for you.  This requires a dual core or better CPU.  Look for a relatively cheap LGA 775 Athlon.  The stock CPU cooler will be fine, you won't need a third party one.

4 GB of RAM will be fine.

Before I can recommend a PSU or drive cages, I need to know exactly how many drives you plan to install in your server, as well as their rotational speeds (7200 RPM, 5400 RPM, etc.).

No need for a BluRay drive.  If you want to rip BluRays, I recommend you do so with your desktop or laptop.

Playon appears to be Windows-only, so you will not be able to run it on your server (which is Linux-based).

The best way to keep your server green is to use only green drives, such as the Hitachi CoolSpins and WD Greens.

I don't know how to install the motherboard into your G5 case.  As long as you can get at least 4 of the screw holes to line up, it should be fine.  However, I don't know if Apple uses some proprietary screw formats in their towers like they do in their laptops.  If so, you may be out of luck.  If you want a similar look to the G5 in another case, check out Lian Li cases.  They aren't cheap, but they are top quality and will work with any standard motherboard and other components.

cool thanks for the reply! i was hoping someone would eventually!

yeah i have had the abit mb for a long time now, a few years at least!

i currently do not even have stock cpu cooler with the mb, so i will have to find one!

my drives are all 7200 speed, i believe?

i have 2 samsung 2 tb server drives, along with 2 samsung 1.5 tb server drives, and 5 wd green 1 tb drives

also about 5 320 gig wd apple hard drives made by wd i believe?

the g5 case will def be a challenge, as it has these weird posts attached to the inside where their logic board would have been, so i will probably have to cut those of, and find some posts that can be either epoxied on or jb welded in place for my mb!

ok and with ps3 media server, i would have to get the linux version and install it somehow correct?

As long as you buy a retail CPU, it will come with a heat sink.  No need to track one down.

Green drives are 5400 RPM or in some cases 5900 RPM.  Chances are the rest are 7200 RPM.  If you have the drives handy, you should be able to read the rotational speed off the label, or at very least google the model number and find out easily.  This information is very important when choosing your power supply.  The Power Supply Thread should steer you in the right direction.

Archived