Docker is getting chaotic, need help organizing and optimizing

I'm spinning my wheels and I don't know how to dig my way out here. Originally I set up Docker to use Disk 7 of the array. I want to use Ollama UI along with a GPU to host a local LLM and thought moving docker to a SSD would be a good idea. I copied the docker-xfs.img as well as the 'Docker and VM' folder.

Docker settings show the following locations:

Docker vDisk location: /mnt/disks/BE77072214FF00210169/docker-xfs.img

Default appdata storage location: /mnt/user/Docker and VM/

My confusion is that I have 'docker and vm' on Disk7 still (never removed yet), as well as the SSD (makes sense) as well as /user and /user0

I don't understand what containers are using what information. When I moved the docker-xfs.img and 'docker and vm' folder from Disk 7 to the SSD, Plex reverted to default and I lost my play history, etc. I don't understand why that happened.

I need to know if this is worth fixing/organizing or if I should scrub everything and start over from the SSD.

Is the /user folder a part of the array? If so, is there a way I could make Docker seperate from the array in an effort to allow the drives to spin down and possibly save power?

Will utilization of the 512gb SSD make Ollama and local LLMs that much faster?

I copied the contents of Disk 7 'Docker and VM' folder to the /user 'docker and vm' folder and I'm getting this error with plex:

Stopping Plex Media Server.
Starting Plex Media Server.
Error: Unable to set up server: sqlite3_statement_backend::loadOne: attempt to write a readonly database (N4soci10soci_errorE)

Storj has an error too saying:

Error: Error opening database on storagenode: database: orders opening file "config/storage/orders.db" failed: unable to open database file: no such file or directory

Storj and Plex had been working fine after the move. Storj started the error last week and Plex started this error after I copied the 'docker and vm' contents from Disk 7 to the /user directory in an attempt to restore historic data.

Thanks for the help.

arc-diagnostics-20240819-0953.zip

Edited by Pandemic
4 minutes ago, Pandemic said:

/mnt/disks/BE77072214FF00210169/docker-xfs.img

So you've put that on an unassigned device? That's not a great idea. That won't be available when expected at array start unless you always manually make sure to mount it, should be on a pool or array.

5 minutes ago, Pandemic said:

Default appdata storage location: /mnt/user/Docker and VM/

Why a folder for both? Normally there are separate shares for each and they would be either on a pool or array as well.

6 minutes ago, Pandemic said:

Is the /user folder a part of the array?

/mnt/user is a merge of all array disks and pools. /mnt/user0 is a merge of all array disks but not pools.

Why do everything differently from standard setups?

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

So you've put that on an unassigned device? That's not a great idea. That won't be available when expected at array start unless you always manually make sure to mount it, should be on a pool or array.

Why a folder for both? Normally there are separate shares for each and they would be either on a pool or array as well.

/mnt/user is a merge of all array disks and pools. /mnt/user0 is a merge of all array disks but not pools.

Why do everything differently from standard setups?

I don't think i understood what I was doing when I set it up years ago. I'm finding the common question from others is why this is so different than default. I think it'd make the most sense to purge everything and try to rebuild but I'd like to explore how best to set it up in the future.

I run media from Plex, I run Storj and share a disk outside the array, and I'm hoping to run ollama UI. I'm hoping I may be able to share the GPU between plex and ollama when one is not in use.

Posted (edited)

If I'm alright with making sure the NVME disk is mounted each time, whats the benefit of running docker from a pool or array rather than the disk itself?

edit: I have a 10,000 RPM raptor drive that's 150gb as cache right now. If I use the NVME 512gb drive to replace the cache drive and act as the docker directory, would that be the ideal way to set this up?

Edited by Pandemic