Best method to 'fix' previous split level mistakes ?

I made some goof ups on split levels, and now I've got a bunch of things scattered around in a bad way. I know I can fire up mc and start manually copying things around, but I wondered if there wasn't a more elegant solution to it that I was missing.

Anyone else able to speak from experience on it?

Enter:

mv /mnt/disk1/movies/* /mnt/disk2/movies

Move straight from one disk to another? I could maybe see it if I was moving from one disk to the user mount, but not another direct disk.

Yes.

If you move from disk to user mount the files will not leave the current disk.

Would this not run the risk of running a drive out of space though? all of my drives are about 85% full, ranging from 1.5TB to 2.0TB in capacities.

Move things piecemeal between disk shares.

Add a new data disk, create a new user share and then COPY the files in big groups from the old share to the new share. Once the big group (2T or 3T) is moved then you can delete that group of files from the old share. You must COPY if you want them to respect the share settings because a move will just go to the new share but stay on the same disk regardless of the allocation method or split level.

Another option is to add a big drive as a cache and then do a big move from the user share to the cache disk (about 2T or 3T at a time) by moving the files to the same directory location on the cache disk. Then, run the mover to put it back properly sorted.

Peter