Logitech Media Server - updated plugin, now supports upgrades

No it should run automatically. Actually if it does not run automatically then you'll loose part of the install  when you reboot (you won't loose the data if you placed it on the array as is default).

Hopefully it'll run automatically the next time you reboot...

Cheers Alex

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Logitech Media Server (7.7.2) is released, I don't know if this plugin let us to DL this?

The attached plg file is updated for latest version 7.7.2.

//Peter

Dear Experts!

Sorry if this is a nooby question as I just built my first rack mounted Unraid server which works really well and now want to use the same box for my Logitech devices.

I am on the RC4 release of Unraid, downloaded the 7.7.2 script, then changed the install directory to a  separate USB stick I have already mapped and can see all the files have been moved there.  My problem is that the Squeezebox server just doesn't want to start. I get the following in the logs.

Jun  7 23:26:37 Googolplex rc.slimserver: Executing /etc/rc.d/rc.slimserver enable /mnt/disk/SLIM/

Jun  7 23:26:37 Googolplex rc.slimserver: Service already enabled

Jun  7 23:26:37 Googolplex rc.slimserver: Service already enabled

Jun  7 23:26:37 Googolplex rc.slimserver: Using locale: en_US.utf8

Jun  7 23:26:37 Googolplex sudo:    root : TTY=console ; PWD=/ ; USER=slimserver ; COMMAND=/usr/local/slimserver/program/slimserver.pl --daemon --pidfile /var/run/slimserver/slimserver.pid --cachedir /usr/local/slimserver/data/Cache --logdir /usr/local/slimserver/data/logs --prefsdir /usr/local/slimserver/data/prefs --logfile syslog | log

This just pops up everytime I click on the apply button with no sign of the service starting.

Any advice would be very welcome please.

Cheers!

Hi Kandinsky,

I havn't tried it on RC4 yet.

I have no idea what the problem is. The simplest is to start by rebooting the unRaid server, it'll reinstall the package on startup.

If that does not work, you'll have to get your hands slightly dirty to resolve the issue. Here is some help to get you started.

Check where slimserver is installed (the directories should exist, the /usr/local/slimserver should by symlinked to your actual location of the program)

ls -la /usr/local

ls -la /usr/local/slimserver

ls -la /usr/local/slimserver/data

ls -la /usr/local/slimserver/program

Run the application (please check if the line :

sudo -u slimserver /usr/local/slimserver/program/slimserver.pl --daemon --pidfile /var/run/slimserver/slimserver.pid --cachedir /usr/local/slimserver/data/Cache  --logdir /usr/local/slimserver/data/logs --prefsdir /usr/local/slimserver/data/prefs --logfile syslog

Check if slimserver is running:

ps -A | grep slimserver

kill the slimserver (if logged in as root) - I'm not sure you need this line:

killall slimserver.pl

Check the pid-file (file containing processid of current running instance of slimserver)

cat /var/run/slimserver/slimserver.pid

Delete the pid-file

rm /var/run/slimserver/slimserver.pid

And then maybe do some guessing as to what is wrong...

Good luck,

Alex

Hi Kandinsky,

I havn't tried it on RC4 yet.

I have no idea what the problem is. The simplest is to start by rebooting the unRaid server, it'll reinstall the package on startup.

If that does not work, you'll have to get your hands slightly dirty to resolve the issue. Here is some help to get you started.

Check where slimserver is installed (the directories should exist, the /usr/local/slimserver should by symlinked to your actual location of the program)

ls -la /usr/local

ls -la /usr/local/slimserver

ls -la /usr/local/slimserver/data

ls -la /usr/local/slimserver/program

Run the application (please check if the line :

sudo -u slimserver /usr/local/slimserver/program/slimserver.pl --daemon --pidfile /var/run/slimserver/slimserver.pid --cachedir /usr/local/slimserver/data/Cache  --logdir /usr/local/slimserver/data/logs --prefsdir /usr/local/slimserver/data/prefs --logfile syslog

Check if slimserver is running:

ps -A | grep slimserver

kill the slimserver (if logged in as root) - I'm not sure you need this line:

killall slimserver.pl

Check the pid-file (file containing processid of current running instance of slimserver)

cat /var/run/slimserver/slimserver.pid

Delete the pid-file

rm /var/run/slimserver/slimserver.pid

And then maybe do some guessing as to what is wrong...

Good luck,

Alex

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the tips.  I checked and all the dir exist as you described. I tried rebooting and made no difference.

I checked the processes and it seems it's just not running.  When I execute the sudo command I get the following response even though the slimserver.pl file is clearly in the directory path stipulated in the command.

sudo: unable to execute /usr/local/slimserver/program/slimserver.pl: Permission denied

Any ideas please?

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Kandinsky,

I think the permissions are wrong on the slimserver.pl file, or on a directory leading to it.

I just remembered, that if you reinstall the slimserver package while array is running, it will force a reinstall of the program files, and it should create correct permissions.

installplg logitechmediaserver-7.7.2-plugin_v1.4.plg

Its a good thing to test, and I would appreciate it if you test that first.

Afterwards please check the permissions of slimserver.pl and all directories leading to it (both its actual location and its symlinked location)

You can do

ls -l /usr/local

to check its permissions,

you can also do

sudo -u slimserver ls -l /usr/local/slimserver/program/slimserver.pl

where it will most like fail if it does not have permissions.

The command chmod changed permissions.

Regards, Alex

• 4 weeks later...

Arberg,

Is there a  logitechmediaserver-7.7.2-plugin_v1.4.plg (version 1.4) available? Planning to test this out but I still not sure how I can use it at home yet without a squeezbox device. Only have an Openlec XBMC HTPC connected to my receiver.

Maybe I can use this as an alternative to Subsonic which I currently use. Planning to plug my tablet to the receiver and play music from there.

Can anyone share how you guys are using the Logitech Media Server?

Arberg,

Is there a  logitechmediaserver-7.7.2-plugin_v1.4.plg (version 1.4) available? Planning to test this out but I still not sure how I can use it at home yet without a squeezbox device. Only have an Openlec XBMC HTPC connected to my receiver.

Maybe I can use this as an alternative to Subsonic which I currently use. Planning to plug my tablet to the receiver and play music from there.

Can anyone share how you guys are using the Logitech Media Server?

There is a software emulation of a Squeezebox - called softsqueeze.  Written in Java, it can run on most platforms.

• 2 weeks later...

Gents, i'm totally stuck. I've tried to install the plugin, and that basically works. I'm using unRAID V5.0-rc5 and Simplefeatures. After running installplg and rebooting, everything is downloaded and installing, and there is an icon in simplefeatures, i've changed the install dir there to /mnt/disk1/slimserver, but when i start the slimserver, my console shows an error:

sudo: unable to execute /usr/local/slimserver/slimserver.pl : no such file or directory

The above folders and file exists, and it can also be found on my /mnt/disk1/slimserver.

I am totally lost here. I've searched through the forums, tried all other versions of the slimserver, but to no avail, ALWAYS the same error.

Please help.

I'm using logitechmediaserver-7.7.2-plugin_v1.3.zip from the start topic.

I've just placed it in my plugin folder on the flashdrive, and ran installplg from there (it does NOT install automatically on reboot so did it manually), rebooted, and changed the installdir textbox in simplefeatures' settings to the forementioned /mnt/disk1/slimserver.

And the error is indeed:

sudo: unable to execute /usr/local/slimserver/program/slimserver.pl : no such file or directory

so you are right about that. But it still fails...

see screenshot for both folders and the symlink (?)

ss1.jpg.5d64eeb772081ddf9d72742a783b9690.jpg

ss2.jpg.839b7176bc389d3918c6c14d0ba58a8d.jpg

Removed everything, reinstalled... removed again, reinstalled... about 10 times... all goes well (see screenshot) but there is no way i can start this thing. All files and folders are there, but still the %$#$%$^thing complains about 'no such file or directory'. I'm about to throw my unraid machine out of the window.

PLEASE HELP!!! :-\

install1jpg.jpg.5684df99c0dc18b91545e85715faa619.jpg

The command's argument --pidfile needs a slimserver.pid in the folder /var/run/slimserver? Is that correct? That folder is empty.

Also there is NO /usr/local/slimserver/data/Cache folder (--cachedir) is that correct?

Also no /usr/local/slimserver/data/log & /prefs folder is present. Should i create those folders?

Arent these created during install?

Maybe there is some way to install logitech media server by hand? Just the .tgz? I don't really need the integration in simplefeatures, as long as the thing gets installed properly and is reachable at xx.xx.xx.xx:9000 i'm ok...

Any tips are welcome.

OK... tried a *lot* of sh*t... in the end i tried starting the media server from within the /mnt/usr/local/slimserver folder using just

slimserver.pl --daemon

Which for some reason works in stead of the other long command with al its parameters, and after that i could, oh wonder, start from the simplefeatures menu...

I'm not sure if all is 100% functional and have no idea why this is working and not the original setting but at least i got the webinterface at port 9000 on the unRAID machine, and its now indexing my music... and playing. Not sure it will survice a reboot, but thats another problem.

tochnog.jpg.f56def755fe0ebc36459960ebe029a5d.jpg

I would like to know that myself as well. At the moment, there is only one user according to the SimpleFeatures interface, 'root'. Is there a way to find out if this is a permission related problem? I would like to be able to run things as they are intended.

Also, i seem to be needing the Perl package to run slimserver from the command line.

*edit* even better, after installing the Perl runtime, i am able to start Slimserver from within SimpleFeatures without a problem...

• 2 months later...

I am runnig the 7.7.2 plugin v1.3 and everything is working fine except, lately, when I try and run a radio station off of the internet, I start getting ERROR messages in my syslog.

Their reoccurance and quantity depend on the radio station I am listening to.

For the following station (Galgalatz 91.8 - under World music) they appear without stopping and make my syslog enourmous even after stopping the radio station playing or change to a different radio station!!!

http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id=s68320&formats=aac,ogg,mp3,wmpro,wma,wmvoice&partnerId=16&serial=67ab928e4265825b995a141ca68abf65

Example of syslog (partial):

Sep 29 17:44:47 Tower slimserver.pl: [12-09-29 17:44:47.2460] Slim::Networking::IO::Select::__ANON__ (147) Error: Select task failed calling Slim::Networking::Async::HTTP::_http_read_body: Error in tempfile() using ./XXXXXXXXXX: Parent directory (./) is not writable at /mnt/cache/unRAID_Apps/slimserver/program/Slim/Utils/Scanner/Remote.pm line 729 ; fh=Slim::Networking::Async::Socket::HTTP=GLOB(0xc05fdf0) 
Sep 29 17:44:47 Tower slimserver.pl: [12-09-29 17:44:47.2514] Slim::Networking::IO::Select::__ANON__ (147) Error: Select task failed calling Slim::Networking::Async::HTTP::_http_read_body: Error in tempfile() using ./XXXXXXXXXX: Parent directory (./) is not writable at /mnt/cache/unRAID_Apps/slimserver/program/Slim/Utils/Scanner/Remote.pm line 729 ; fh=Slim::Networking::Async::Socket::HTTP=GLOB(0xc05fdf0) 

I tried removing logging from my syslog by removing syslog from the --logfile parameter in slimserver.pl command line but they still appear.

1. Anyone else have this problem?

2. Why does everything slimserver outputs log to the syslog even after removing syslog from command line in logfile parameter?

3. Why aren't any logs created in /usr/local/slimserver/data/logs (I set "--logdir /usr/local/slimserver/data/logs" parameter")?

4. Under windows server I only get one line of the above error for the same radio station and not endless!!! why is this?

I can't use unRAID slimserver because of this it makes my syslog > 2GB after 1 day.

Can someone with SqueezeBox server please try this radio station and monitor the syslog for errors.