WD replaced my 2TB drive with a 2.5TB. YEA! but....

odd1

I've run into a problem replacing this parity drive.

I started building parity on the new drive after upgrading to 5.0 beta14. After about an hour I refreshed the page to see how far it had gotten The array was started and the parity was no longer building. Red circle and "not installed" next to the parity on the main page. I stopped the array and tried to choose the new drive as the parity drive but it does not show up in the drop down box. Only "unassigned" is there.

I've tried restarting, powering down, unplugging the drive, starting back up and starting the array, powering back down plugging in the drive and starting up again but nothing seems to work to make the drive show back up.

The drive shows up in the bios of my main pc. I can't access it 'cause that pc is running XP32 and can't see large drives over 2.1TB.

Please help...

Thanks! I didn't even think of that. I replaced the cable and the drive showed up right away.

However, after starting the rebuilding parity process, it is taking a very long time and going extremely slow. Right now the speed is 164KB/s and the finish time is reported to be 244,000 minutes. This is what was happening to my last parity drive and the reason I replaced it (not the one I RMA'd, it was trashed).

The very first time I hooked up the new drive and started the process, the speed was a normal 35MB/s give or take. That was with the old, evidently flaky, cable.

Any ideas?

Here is my syslog taken just now after changing the cable and starting the process early this morning...

syslog-2012-02-08.txt

Sorry for the slight hijack, but I just sent in a drive for RMA and got a 2.5tb back too haha.

My issue is I'm in 4.7, but I only have up to 2tb drives, and in my situation, my parity drive ALSO needs to be replaced. Is it possible to upgrade to Beta5, drop in the new 2.5tb drive in as a data drive, and then later upgrade to a 2.5 or 3tb parity? Will it "unlock" the remaining 500gb I cant use with a 2tb parity drive or will it just not allow me to mount it as a data drive at all?

Sorry for the slight hijack, but I just sent in a drive for RMA and got a 2.5tb back too haha.

My issue is I'm in 4.7, but I only have up to 2tb drives, and in my situation, my parity drive ALSO needs to be replaced. Is it possible to upgrade to Beta5, drop in the new 2.5tb drive in as a data drive, and then later upgrade to a 2.5 or 3tb parity? Will it "unlock" the remaining 500gb I cant use with a 2tb parity drive or will it just not allow me to mount it as a data drive at all?

basically, no.

parity can not be smaller than any data drive.

Your only choices are

1. create an HPA making it look like a 2TB drive, use it in 4.7 or 5.0 as any drive you like.

2. create an HPA making it look like a 2.2TB drive, use it as parity in 4.7 or 5.0 (can't use it as data, as parity would be smaller)

3. Use it a parity in 5.0 as  2.5 TB drive.

unRAID will not create the HPA for you, nor remove it when you finally are able to take advantage of the additional space.  Those are all manual steps.

Archived