Parity Errors with Disk Errors

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi all,

This seems like a basic question but my searching all turned up solutions that were for slightly different situations so I'm just looking to confirm.

I have parity errors and I have a disk with read errors (replacement on the way but Seagate is dragging their heels). The conventional wisdom I found searching says if a disk is failing you should assume parity is correct and rebuild the disk. However, I've scrubbed the disk and zfs doesn't report any errors. Does this mean that the parity errors are with the parity disk and it's a coincidence that the disk errors started showing up at the same time?

(I scrubbed all the disks and ran extended smart tests on all of them as well. No other disks reported smart errors or zfs errors.)

• Solution

A scrub just checks the part with data, assuming the extended SMART test failed, it means the bad sectors are in a zone that doesn't have data, so I would just rebuild the disk as is, and then run a parity check, if there are still errors it would be from another disk.