[SOLVED] Ethernet Connection Speed

jj0076

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and completely new to unRaid and linux so please go easy on me!!

I've searched the forum and googled but I can't really find an answer so here goes...

When I telnet in console and login as root and run the ethtool eth0 command the data shows that my server is capable of 10/100/1000 but on the speed line it says it is connected at 100.

Could this simply be because I currently have it connected to a 10/100 router transfering files off a 10/100 only equipped PC? When I relocate the server on my network and place it on a gigabit ethernet switch connected to my 2 dedicated HTPCs this shoud automatically re-negogiate to gigabit speeds right?

Oh, and I setup the server using the latest full stable non-beta release from the downloads...version 4.7 iirc.

Thanks in advance guys.

correct.  It has negotiated the best speed it can do between the router and itself.

Not though, it is possible for an older PC on your LAN to negotiate a 10Mb/s connection to the router, thus limiting the throughput to the unRAID server to that speed, even though the link to the unRAID server is at a higher speed.

You'll see this same effect if you upgrade your router or add a switch capable of 1000Mb/s speed.  The connection to unRAID might be at 1000Mb/s, but the connection to the PC will still be at 100Mb/s.  (And you'll still get the same transfer speeds as you now do)

You'll only get gigabit speeds if everything has gigabit capacity.  The NIC in the htpc, the switch/router, and the unRAID server, and all the LAN wiring as well.

Joe L.

Thanks for the reply, and for the info about an older machine limiting thoughput. My router is 10/100 but all machines connected to it are gigabit. Lets say I attached a gigabit switch off the router and connected my server and both my HTPC builds to the switch. Would the HTPC units transfer files to the server at gigabit speeds or would they be limited by router?

I was sold the switch on the understanding that connections between machines on the switch would be gigabit - this was cheaper that replacing a perfectly good router.

I don't care if speeds from the router are slow, I just need the gigabit between HTPCs and server.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply, and for the info about an older machine limiting thoughput. My router is 10/100 but all machines connected to it are gigabit. Lets say I attached a gigabit switch off the router and connected my server and both my HTPC builds to the switch. Would the HTPC units transfer files to the server at gigabit speeds or would they be limited by router?

I was sold the switch on the understanding that connections between machines on the switch would be gigabit - this was cheaper that replacing a perfectly good router.

I don't care if speeds from the router are slow, I just need the gigabit between HTPCs and server.

Thanks.

If the server and HTPC both have gigabit NIC, and the switch is a gigabit switch, the throughput should be at gigabit speeds.  (not limited by the slower router.)

I have exactly that in my home.  I have a wireless router that is 100Mbit only, and several gigabit switches.

The only devices connected directly to my router are those that are 100Mbit only.

Perfect, thanks again for your response, that's what I needed to hear to stop me returning the switch to the store after work!! I have one old PC used mainly as a test environment for new software that is 10/100 but this runs on wifi only and the only other 10/100 device is my Xbox 360 which connects direct to router. The switch is purely for gigabit HTPC boxes and gigabit server. Nonetheless I'll run some file transfer tests with and without the switch to make sure I am gaining from the extra wiring.

Thanks again :-)

Archived