Server 2008 Domains

I've been running an unRAID server at home (based on Rajahal's 15-drive budget box specs) for a while now, mostly as a media server, and have been quite happy with it thus far.

Anyway, we are now looking to replace an old SNAP NAS at work.  It still works, but won't talk to our Active Directory domain (we just recently elevated to Server 2008 functionality level, which is apparently what broke the AD functionality of the NAS) and is quite old anyway (800GB of capacity from ATA drives).

Question:  Does the Active Directory functionality of unRAID 4.7 work correctly with Server 2008 domains?  I can find various info on unRAID and Active Directory on the forums, but have not seen anything Server 2008 specific.

Your reply just made me realize that I posted this under the unRAID 5.0 section.  Oops.  I guess I need to repost this question in one of the main support sections instead.

EDIT:  On second thought, I'm not sure the "General Support" forum is right for this question either, since it is more a question about this functionality within unRAID in general (though we would strongly prefer that this be true in 4.7 since that this would be installed in a production environment).

Joining a 2K8R2 domain is simple with 5.0.

However, I cannot for the life of me get any permissions working (see my unanswered thread below). So going to AD mode for me equates to a transforming a Really Useful Engine into a paperweight with a lot of spinning magnetic platters.

::)

• 1 month later...

After going digging on this one quite seriously today, and rolling around in 5b14 for a while, I can say that the version of Winbind/Samba is an issue in the 5.x releases.

In 4.7, AD works properly, but I am yet to see AD working properly in my environment on a 5.x release.

Looks like an update to the Winbind/Samba system broke this feature. Try using wbinfo -u at the command prompt once you think you've joined active directory properly. You should see all users in AD. The pick your favourite user, and try wbinfo -i domain\\username and see what happens.

In 4.7 this works swell, and so does AD auth, etc. In 5.x this does not. Seems to be people on FreeNAS and various other flavours of Linux having this same issue. The universally accepted solution, use an earlier version of Winbind/Samba.