Best bluetooth keyboard/mouse for HTPC?

Rajahal

As much as I love my Zbox HTPC, I've decided to change it up to add some new fun stuff to my living room.  I've built a fairly simple HTPC with an older dual core AMD CPU and an SSD.  Definitely not as energy efficient as the Atom-based Zbox, but some day I'll probably upgrade it to an i3 build.  It runs Windows 7, XBMC (not live), and uTorrent, as well as some Humble Bundle games (World of Goo, Osmos, etc.) and some old ROMS (all games from NES through N64, as well as Sega and a few others).  I would like a new keyboard/mouse set that will work well for all of this.  My budget is around $100, though of course spending less would be nice.  I will need a bluetooth receiver, as the HTPC does not have one built in.

I've decided that IR keyboards typically don't have the range needed for good HTPC usage, so now I'm leaning towards a bluetooth keyboard.  I also like that I can use the bluetooth keyboard for travel or for a tablet should I ever get one.  I think the Apple Keyboard and Magic Trackpad would be an elegant solution, but I really don't want to spend $160 on some input devices.  I'm looking for something decent enough to play a few small games as well as just navigate XBMC and Win7.

Newegg has several small bluetooth keyboards for around $40, which seems reasonable to me.  They also currently have a 10% off sale (promo EMCNHNA27, expires 2/15) that I would like to take advantage of.  I haven't looked into mice yet, but here's a few keyboards that look OK to me:

Small (which is good)

IOGEAR GKB601B Black Multi-Link Bluetooth Mini Keyboard - no bluetooth receiver included

Genius LuxePad 9000 31320006101 White Bluetooth Wireless Mini Keyboard - no bluetooth receiver included

i-rocks BT-6460-BK Black 83 Normal Keys Bluetooth Wireless Slim Mobile Keyboard no bluetooth receiver included

Full Sized

Microsoft 6000 2XJ-00001 Black 83 Normal Keys Multimedia Key, Internet Key. Function Keys Bluetooth Wireless Slim Keyboard - this would take up a lot of room on the coffee table.  I think I would prefer a smaller one.

Mouse + Keyboard all in one

Ergoguys KB-OR-1500BT Black 56 Normal Keys 11 Function Keys Bluetooth Wireless Mini Keyboard - super small and has some sort of mouse joystick as well, but no bluetooth receiver included.  Probably no good for games.

VisionTek Candyboard Black 69 Normal Keys Bluetooth Wireless Mini Keyboard - twice as much money, but includes a trackpad and bluetooth receiver.  The keys look like the same thing that are on my Droid 2 - not ideal, and probably no good for games.

What do you think is the best bluetooth keyboard and mouse for an HTPC?  Also, will I be able to pair a separate keyboard and mouse from different manufacturers with a single bluetooth receiver?

You probably have zero desire to spend this much money, and not sure if you'd even want to pair it with a PC, but for my Mac Mini HTPC I use the Apple wireless keyboard and track pad.  They're so clean, attractive, durable, and have a great range with bluetooth.  But, again, probably not worth it.

My co-worker got the Logitech diNovo Edge Keyboard. He loves it.

That would be my choice for a full HTPC/Browsing experience.

I happen to have the older Logitech DiNovo Media Desktop

http://reviews.cnet.com/keyboards/logitech-dinovo-media-desktop/4505-3134_7-30586106.html?tag=contentBody;compare

I have 3, I got them on eBay used for $50.

I like it because it's smaller then a regular keyboard with a separate numeric media keypad.

I don't use the numeric keypad at all. I just learn the keystrokes. It's fast for touch typing too!

For my XBMC, if I didn't have a keyboard I would go with Logitech diNovo Mini

For my Windows Browsing station I would go with a fuller keyboard and comfortable mouse.

Yes, I have 2 htpc's one XBMC with 4 drives to backup critical media rsynced to my unraid.

The other is a windows 7 machine with SSD and gigabyte i-ram so it's instantly available and lightning fast. (how do you think I keep abreast of the unRAID forum so easily? LOL!!!)

Thanks for the advice, guys, keep it coming.  I'm shying away from anything with a cell-phone-style keyboard (such as the Logitech diNovo), since I don't see them working well for games.  Also, if I really wanted something like that, I'm sure there's some way I could configure my Droid 2 to act as a bluetooth keyboard for my HTPC (I already use it as a wifi remote for XBMC).

I've had nothing but bad experiences (or bad luck?) with Logitech keyboards and mice, but I might be willing to give them another try for this project.  The Logitech DiNovo Media Desktop does look like a decent option if I can find it used or on sale.  I'm definitely not paying $250 for it.

I've also had an offer for a used Apple keyboard and bluetooth receiver for $60 from a fellow unRAIDer.  That's looking like a pretty solid option at the moment, I would just then need to find a mouse that I liked.

I've had logictech keyboards since the early 90s and had minimal issues with them.

The only issue I've had was the mouse for the Di nuvo has a non changeable LION battery and the recharger stand wears out.  luckily I was able to get the V270 bluetooth mouse to pair up with the receiver and it's all perfect now.

I would not spend $250 on one either.

$60 for a bluetooth applle keyboard.. I would jump on that one!

I used a Logitech Cordless MediaBoard Pro for PS3 in an HTPC I gave to one of my kids for Christmas. They tell me it is working great, when they need to use a keyboard. Two things.

1. It does not come with a bluetooth receive. You need to get one somewhere else. Extra $5.

2. Can't use it to get into the BIOS and make changes. Need to hook up a wired keyboard to do that.

Also gave them a Media Center IR remote that they use most of the time. Media Center is started at boot up, and they rarely leave it. TMT5 for Blu-ray and MyMovies for catalog/menu.

I know it says it is for a PS3 but works great with PC. Lot's of feedback at the egg, most seem to be using with a PC. It is a full size KB with track pad. All the keyboards I researched that have a joy stick or track ball got considerable worse feedback.

So my buddy is using this Logitech K360 Victorian Wallpaper USB RF Wireless Keyboard and one of these Logitech M310 mice for his living room HTPC.  They aren't bluetooth, yet they offer perfect reception across his living room, which is larger than mine.  He also has the receivers on the rear of his HTPC...

Given that they aren't much cheaper than some of the bluetooth options, I think I still would prefer a bluetooth model.  Still, good to know that at least some RF keyboards/mice will work!

The only benefit I can see for bluetooth in a HTPC environment is possible syncing to your phone.

As for having a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, this can double duty for a tablet, phone, laptop or any other device that can use bluetooth.

Although I have a logitech bluetooth keyboard for my HTPC, I do not load the drivers, nor pair it.

since they keyboard mouse and dongle all work without the bluetooth stack. It was the one reason I spent the extra amount on this keyboard mouse combo.

I'd be careful with Bluetooth, there is a bug (atleast in my system) that loses the bluetooth connection after a certain amount of inactivity. I've used a few different bluetooth dongles/keyboards and they all do it to me, even on fresh installs, no updates, all updates.

The only option when this happens to me is to delete device and pair again. Then it works fine until it loses connection again. Its been a while but I did research and it seemed it was a Win7 bug, but I have haven't used the keyboard in a while now so it might not be a problem anymore.

On the other hand, my mouse runs off a 2.4ghz dongle and works great, great signal all the time.

i have used logitech, microsoft and other cheap made in china mouse/keyboard. i have used proprietary rf and bluetooth devices. here are my experience

1. bluetooth drains a lot of battery. it is designed to keep connection alive, thus draining power. you can save battery, by discipline yourself to turn off the device when not in use. if you forget, youll need to replace(or recharge) the battery before use. not very practical. proprietary rf are design to have all bluetooth benefits without its flaws. that means long range(10m) and efficient battery use. using rechargeable battery is not practical with bluetooth or proprietary rf keyboard and mouse. rechargeable are expensive, loses power even when not in use. plus, short 1 year lifetime(performance is low after 1 year). bluetooth also have connection issue and bad performance. Conclusion, avoid bluetooth and use proprietary rf.

2. microsoft makes high quality product than logitech at the same price. plus, cheap logitech product are extremely bad(non standard key placement???? off center mouse sensor???). if you want to save money, go microsoft. if you have money, go logitech. avoid cheap china brand or youll experience annoying tiny problems(takes couple of second to reconnect mouse after idle for a long time).

3. full size keyboard. non standard key placement(compact) requires user to relearn how to use the keyboard. cheap logitech usually comes with nonstandard key placement which makes them useless.

4. mouse size matters. use mouse thats comfortable to your hand. most wireless mouse are mobile/laptop mouse, therefore small in size. you have to be carefull when choosing the right mouse or youll regret that you bought small mouse.

5. red laser optical. the best thing about red laser is that the technology is matured. the sensor provides consistent sensitivity feels. invisible laser while uses lower power than red laser, have veeeery bad performance. sensitivity is inconsistent, have less surface compatibility than red laser. just try playing modern warfare with laser mouse, than youll understand. not that youll use the mouse for playing games, its just that im trying to tell you how to amplify the bad performance of laser mouse so that you understand. i own both microsoft and logitech. they both bad. regret the purchase. doesnt own blue laser mouse, so cant comment on that.

6. center sensor. i just dont know why in the world would microsoft and logitech create off center sensor mouse. off center mouse would require you to readjust the mouse movement in your brain. i own off center laser mouse. worst purchase. go for mouse with the sensor in the center.

7. clicking mouse scroll. again, i dont know why in the world would microsoft and logitech create free spinning mouse scroll. i just hate it. it just doesnt do what i want it to do(eg. scrolls two lines when i want it to scroll 3 lines). very expensive microsoft and logitech mouse have this stupid features.

8. dont expect to have 10m radius without line of sight, be it bluetooth or rf. tiny antenna is not that powerful.

that is my advice if you want to buy htpc mouse keyboard. personally, id suggest a remote. i tried couple of remotes and found one that i think is the best. but that in another thread.

A few comments.

FWIW, I use rechargeable batteries in my DInovo with minimal issues. Of course it dies at the most inopportune time, but I always have spares on the charger constantly.

My batteries last from 1-3 months depending on usage.

Re: Travel Mouse. I just absolutely love the Logitech V270. I have about 6-7 of them. I buy them used on eBay for around $10-$15

Every time I get a new laptop (I have several) I get a V270 for the machine.  AA batteries last from 2-3 months.

Regarding logictech non standard placement. On my DiNuvo, the F keys are slightly off, everything else is fine. having the F keys off can be annoying, but once you get used to it and the laptop feel of the keyboard, it can be a breeze to type with.

In revisiting the "rechargable batteries" subject matter.  If you are buying disposables for something you use in a confined space, you're doing yourself a disservice.  I've had batteries last 15 years and more because I know to discharge them until dead then recharge them.  I bought a few rechargers over the last 15 years and the Maha Powerex - MH-C9000  has been among the finest.  Also the Sanyo eneloop - AA rechargeable batteries supposedly have very low drain over time when not used. I happen to purchased the highest MaH batteries I can find. I think the Maha Powerex AA rechargeable are around 2700 MaH and work fine.

I have not purchased disposable batteries in 20 years. I've only throw out about 4 AA batteries out of my "armada" of rechargeable AA and AAA batteries.  I probably have about 40-50 batteries in various remotes, mice, headphones & flashlights.

You just have to take care of them and have a quality charger.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817355014

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817355002

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0FX-0009-00001

There are others.  I have another charger that can charge 8 D's, but I do not use that one as much as I use the MH-C9000

Re:  Bluetooth vs Proprietary.  I kinda agree in that you only need bluetooth if you need to use the keyboard/mouse somewhere else or you need bluetooth interface into the computer (remote control, or sharing data).

I use the Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400:

http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/keyboards/keyboard/devices/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400

with my SageTV HTPC machine.  It works quite well, and it has a good track pad built into the keyboard so you don't need a mouse.  Only real issue with it is that it does not have any media keys (the ones I miss are the volume, mute and play/pause) and the home and page up/down keys are ones you must use a shift key to get at.

It is somewhat smaller than your typical keyboard and very light, so it is easy to store in a drawer or on a small shelf.

Regards,

Stephen

I use the Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400:

http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/keyboards/keyboard/devices/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400

with my SageTV HTPC machine.  It works quite well, and it has a good track pad built into the keyboard so you don't need a mouse.  Only real issue with it is that it does not have any media keys (the ones I miss are the volume, mute and play/pause) and the home and page up/down keys are ones you must use a shift key to get at.

It is somewhat smaller than your typical keyboard and very light, so it is easy to store in a drawer or on a small shelf.

Regards,

Stephen

They must have updated the keyboard, it shows having volume, mute and home button as media keys at the top left of the board. I'm going to look into getting one of those myself to replace my board

For my HTPC I use a Gyrations keyboard and mouse.  The model I have (cant find the part number) has a range in excess of 30ft.  I bought one for my father and his is newer has a range of 100'.  Works well even through walls.  I just visited the website for gyrations and they are not listing their keyboards anymore, so I'm assuming they have discontinued them.  Search Google for Gyrations Keyboards should provide you with the combos available.  Besides the great wireless range (RF) the mouse has a gyro inside.  Gyrations is the same company who developed the gyration system for the Nintendo Wii.  From my personal experience the mouse is way better then the Wiimote.  Basically on the bottom of the mouse is a standard optical laser and a proximity sensor.  The mouse functions just like a regular optical mouse.  However unlike a standard mouse, when the mouse no longer detects something under it it shuts off the laser.  By holding the mouse in a very comfortable position between your thumb and index finger you can depress the gyro button like a trigger.  While pressing this bottom button the mouse moves with small motions of your hand.  With practice it becomes an extremely precise and effective mouse.  So in my situation I can be sitting on the couch and regardless of the surface I can wave my mouse in the air to control my computer.  Im not really explaining it well but it is very cool and works well, I would highly recommend it.  I have had mine for 5 years and I still use it everyday.  The Keyboard is a nice wireless keyboard but the show stopper is the mouse.  When/if I want to game with it all I have to do is plant the mouse on a regular surface and let the laser take over.

-Alex

• 2 weeks later...

For better or worse, I've finally made my purchase:

Newegg page: Logitech K700 Black RF Wireless Keyboard/Trackpad Controller for Google TV

Logitech page: Logitech Keyboard Controller

Newegg sent me a promo code for refurb items, so after the promo, tax, and (free 2-day) shipping, the grand total was $35.17.  Not bad for a keyboard with a built-in touchpad.  I read through the reviews on Newegg and Amazon, and I'm aware of the unit's drawbacks - no dedicated right-click button, no F-keys, some dodgy functionality in Win7.  One of the reviews mentioned that the new driver set was finally released, which means full Win7 support.  We'll see when I get it.  It also comes with the unifying receiver, so if I ever want a stand-alone mouse that is still an option.  I do also realize that it is RF and not Bluetooth, but after all the advice I've gotten from this thread and other research I've done, Bluetooth doesn't really seem to be all that necessary.  If I ever do get a tablet of some sort I may regret not going for the Bluetooth option, but I don't think that will happen for quite some time.

In revisiting the "rechargable batteries" subject matter.  If you are buying disposables for something you use in a confined space, you're doing yourself a disservice.  I've had batteries last 15 years and more because I know to discharge them until dead then recharge them.  I bought a few rechargers over the last 15 years and the Maha Powerex - MH-C9000  has been among the finest.  Also the Sanyo eneloop - AA rechargeable batteries supposedly have very low drain over time when not used. I happen to purchased the highest MaH batteries I can find. I think the Maha Powerex AA rechargeable are around 2700 MaH and work fine.

I have not purchased disposable batteries in 20 years. I've only throw out about 4 AA batteries out of my "armada" of rechargeable AA and AAA batteries.  I probably have about 40-50 batteries in various remotes, mice, headphones & flashlights.

+1 for using rechargeable batteries.

Instead of going for high mAh ones, I recommend to use the ones from Sanyo Eneloop.

Unlike standard rechargeables, these won't discharge over time (well, not much..they stay quite fresh for at least a year).

So you can have a fresh pre-charged set in your drawer ready, just like a normal battery replacement.

The AAs are rated 2000mAh....they last longer than most 2700mAh, because the keep voltage longer above the switch-off line of most electronic equipment.

I use them for almost everything in my home as battery replacement.

do also realize that it is RF and not Bluetooth, but after all the advice I've gotten from this thread and other research I've done, Bluetooth doesn't really seem to be all that necessary.  If I ever do get a tablet of some sort I may regret not going for the Bluetooth option, but I don't think that will happen for quite some time.

...so, this should work fine even when entering BIOS.

I just returned one RF-Version of these: http://my-elive.com/product_KB250.htm

...would not work for a distance greater than 5 feet away, while view to the receiver was unblocked.

...does anyone have a pointer to a Bluetooth dongle with HID-Proxy inside?