[SOLVED] unRAID can't access the internet after switching to cable broadband

Hi,

Yesterday my unRAID was fine. I shut it down neatly as I was getting switched over from ADSL to cable broadband. Guy comes and installs me, and away I go. Everything seems fine except unRAID can't get out to the internet. Sabnzbd can't connect to my newsgroup, unmenu can't download anything or check for updates etc.

Its odd because I can access tower just fine - all the unRAID web servers, sab's front end. I can access my shares and download/stream etc. Its just the WAN part.

my unRAID is wired into my cable modem/router, just like it was on my previous setup. I've tried disabling the firewall in the router, tried port forwarding a bunch of different ports (shouldnt' make any difference though), but still nothing. All other devices accessing the internet either wireless or wired are just fine.

any suggestions?

The router (a virginmedia superhub) is netgear based. It defaults to 192.168.0.1 but I changed that to match my previous 192.168.1.1 (so no changes needed to my network.conf in unraid). That took a little finding as the router has a 'guest network' option which was clashing at first but I got round that.

I have DHCP set on, but in the LAN section of the router it correctly shows the unRAID system's IP address with **static IP address** next to it (set to 192.168.1.22 in network.conf). And it shows up in trusted devices. I've tried restricting the DHCP server to 2-20 so the static IP address is outside the range of dynamic ones but no difference.

help!

• 9 months later...

So that's crazy because I'm having the SAME issues!  :'( I as well have my default router ip as 1.1. Couldn't imagine that'd make a difference. The craziest part is, I flashed my netgear with dd-wrt and turned on DHCP in unRAID. Still nothing!!! I'm feeling hopeless. I can ping my router no problem and even resolve dns (when I ping www.google.com it comes back with an IP along with various other sites, just with "destination host unreachable") Please...any help would be appreciated! I'm feeling pretty  ???:o>:( today

EDIT: So I lied, after I rebooted the unRAID with a proper shutdown, and allowed it to grab an IP...I can now see the scary and all mighty "cloud". But why is this an issue with unRAID? I want to have a STATIC IP. More than likely I'll get the same IP again, I just don't want to take the chance and now I'll have to change settings in my plugins.

• 3 years later...

Same issue here.

Got a new modem from isp which has a fixed static ip (can't change it hate when they disable options like that)

So I used to be on subnet 192.168.1.xxx

Now it is

192.168.2.xxx

Static ip will give me a ping to the router, but no world wide web unfortunately.. even after a restart.

Will try the dhcp route and lock it with the router but this is crap. Is this a bug in unraid? Or am I (we) doing something wrong?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

There's practically no chance this is a bug in unRAID.  The fact that changing to DHCP seems to fix the network makes it pretty clear there was a wrong network setting.  Using DHCP doesn't just give you a correct IP, it also gives you a correct gateway, mask, and DNS server settings.  Unfortunately, none of the posters above shared their network settings, but I have to assume that each one had something set wrong.

Often the best way to get good static network settings is to start with DHCP, make a note of what it gives you (IP, mask, gateway, and DNS servers), then adjust the IP if desired (within the valid range for the provided IP), and change to a static IP with those settings.

I would agree but. I triple checked every setting. My settings are:

IP: 192.168.2.253

Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway 192.168.2.254 (Router..)

DNS: 192.168.2.254 (Router..)

With DHCP on everything, except off course the ip looks the same? (Ip DHCP > 192.168.2.110)

Am I not seeing something here?

Thank you for your reply.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been having the same problem.  What I just discovered is my 5 ghz radio on my internet router is using the same IP address as my static IP address of my unRaid server.  Even when I turn the radio off, I cannot over ride the static address of the radio.  This is creating a conflict with my network.  Changing the static ip address of my unRaid server fixed the problem. 

This may not be a fix to your problem.  I would have never though the radio would have a static ip address that is conflicting with my LAN. 

• 6 years later...

I'm having the same issue currently.

When on automatic IP, server is accessible over LAN, and connects to internet just fine.
Automatic IP is 192.168.0.98. Router is 192.168.0.1. DNS is 192.168.0.1.

If i change to static IP, but still set the same values. 192.168.0.98 for server, 192.168.0.1 for router, 192.168.0.1 for dns

The server is still accessible through the LAN, but shows "Network is Unreachable" if i try to ping anything on the internet. The server is still able to ping my router, 192.168.0.1 without issue.

21 hours ago, Daniel.Heckman said:

I'm having the same issue currently.

When on automatic IP, server is accessible over LAN, and connects to internet just fine.
Automatic IP is 192.168.0.98. Router is 192.168.0.1. DNS is 192.168.0.1.

If i change to static IP, but still set the same values. 192.168.0.98 for server, 192.168.0.1 for router, 192.168.0.1 for dns

The server is still accessible through the LAN, but shows "Network is Unreachable" if i try to ping anything on the internet. The server is still able to ping my router, 192.168.0.1 without issue.

Unless you are actually using Unraid v5.x, you would be better off doing a new thread in the v6.x general support section and provide your diagnostics.