Just got a new UPS... How should I set it up??

jbuszkie

I just got a nice 2200VA APC ups.  I'm trying to figure out what's the best way to set it up.

It will hve two machines on it. 

1. my unraid server

2. a Win 7 HTPC machine.

So what's the best way to set it up so it will turn off both machines??

1. Use Power chute on the win 7 machine and some how have it be able to power off the unraid machine (is this possible?)

2. Use the windows version of apcupsd and have it remotely power off unraid (is this even possible either)

3. Use apcupsd on UnRaid and have it remotely power off the win 7 machine either through powerchute or apcupsd running on the win7 machine.

Now I don't know which of these options are even possible!

What are your guys' thoughts?

Thanks,

Jim

I just got a nice 2200VA APC ups.  I'm trying to figure out what's the best way to set it up.

It will hve two machines on it. 

1. my unraid server

2. a Win 7 HTPC machine.

So what's the best way to set it up so it will turn off both machines??

1. Use Power chute on the win 7 machine and some how have it be able to power off the unraid machine (is this possible?)

2. Use the windows version of apcupsd and have it remotely power off unraid (is this even possible either)

3. Use apcupsd on UnRaid and have it remotely power off the win 7 machine either through powerchute or apcupsd running on the win7 machine.

Now I don't know which of these options are even possible!

What are your guys' thoughts?

Thanks,

Jim

#3 is possible.  #2 might be too

in that case,

I would put it on the server as the master.

the server shutting down properly is more important then the htpc in case of a communication error

dont forget to put the switch/hub that the Two PC's use to communicate is also on the UPS.

apcupsd on unRAID, by default, transmits on the LAN when power fails to enable slave apcupsd programs on your other PCs, laptops, etc to listen for the broadcast and shut themselves down as well.

As mentioned, put the switches/router on the UPS too, or there will not be any way to send the notification across the LAN.

Archived